Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Chevy Impala----Just a tease! 4/9/16

MrObsessive

Are ya gonna torsion spring the trunk or maybe go with gas shock style fulcrum to hold the trunk open?

I'm gonna try my hand (again) at making torsion bar springs to keep the decklid open. While it may not be exactly like the 1:1, it'll be realistic enough without looking clunky. I already have a few ideas in mind to try this.

The last time I did this was about 10 years ago when building the '64 GTO. That also had a button release for the trunk which latched it shut----------I may attempt the same thing with the Chevy. ;)

Bill,

FYI, I used the '57 Black Widow motor. It's injection unit is a good match for a '59 unit. The silver A.C. air cleaner is mounted on the radiator core in a '59. You'll need a lenth of flex conduit to reach it, something like the 427 Thunderbolt Fairlanes used. The stamped steel valve covers from the Widow are right also......

WOW Bill, Thanks for posting this build, Im Inspired..... Are you an old bodyman,or something, only us old guys know what a "tulip panel" is.

No, just a fella that grew up around a lot of "car folks" as a kid, and heard those terms spoken of. I'm fortunate that I was exposed to all kinds of cars both foreign and domestic growing up in the '60's and '70's. I had relatives that would come across all kinds of "oddball" cars, not to mention my Mom was dating someone once who I swear had a different car every 3-6 months! :D

Bill,

FYI, I used the '57 Black Widow motor. It's injection unit is a good match for a '59 unit. The silver A.C. air cleaner is mounted on the radiator core in a '59. You'll need a lenth of flex conduit to reach it, something like the 427 Thunderbolt Fairlanes used. The stamped steel valve covers from the Widow are right also......

Ahhh!! You read my mind! I was just thinking the other day if that would work and I happen to have that kit! :) I can scratchbuild the "flex hose" you're talking about as I've done it before on other builds. The only fly in the ointment might be the Fuelie scripts that go on the front fenders. They look similar to a '57 'Vette's scripts.

Thanks for the confirmation!

No, just a fella that grew up around a lot of "car folks" as a kid, and heard those terms spoken of. I'm fortunate that I was exposed to all kinds of cars both foreign and domestic growing up in the '60's and '70's. I had relatives that would come across all kinds of "oddball" cars, not to mention my Mom was dating someone once who I swear had a different car every 3-6 months! :D

Ahhh!! You read my mind! I was just thinking the other day if that would work and I happen to have that kit! :) I can scratchbuild the "flex hose" you're talking about as I've done it before on other builds. The only fly in the ointment might be the Fuelie scripts that go on the front fenders. They look similar to a '57 'Vette's scripts.

I could tell you how to do those scripts, but then I would have to kill you.

No, just a fella that grew up around a lot of "car folks" as a kid, and heard those terms spoken of. I'm fortunate that I was exposed to all kinds of cars both foreign and domestic growing up in the '60's and '70's. I had relatives that would come across all kinds of "oddball" cars, not to mention my Mom was dating someone once who I swear had a different car every 3-6 months! :) I can scratchbuild the "flex hose" you're talking about as I've done it before on other builds. The only fly in the ointment might be the Fuelie scripts that go on the front fenders. They look similar to a '57 'Vette's scripts.

I made my scripts using the Widow fuelie decals and some sheet styrene molded into the front fender between the headlight and wheel well. But the script sets for the solid axle vettes ( and the '60 Impala I think? ) have better fuelie scripts that should work well. You can find some referance photos online with a little research. There are a couple of red fuelie Impala convertibles and a Bel Air sedan that I found..........

Got some progress done in the last couple days. I finally bit the bullet and decided to mount those hinges and then see how the trunk would fit on them. So far things look good, and now it's a matter of "latching" and springing the hinges for the final result. As far as latching, I'm considering going the magnet route, as this will make for fewer moving parts as far as a release mechanism is concerned.

And as far as keeping the trunk open, I'm going to use a tiny piece of guitar string that will be connected somewhere on the inside of the body, and then connected to the hinge so that there's a spring effect.

Now on to a few pics!

I mentioned in another post that I'd like to reduce the radii of the hinges. They seemed a bit too out of bounds for me, and also-----I didn't want them to appear too toy/diecast like. Here are the hinges in the up position after they were fastened on the block supports...............

Pc164488-vi.jpg

Pc164490-vi.jpg

Like the doors, the trunk has the same type of hinge retainers. I still need to soften the edges of the retainers a bit so they don't appear quite so blunt. The trunk is staying up BTW due to friction------after they're painted and whatnot, they're not going to stay up. ;)

Pc164491-vi.jpg

Pc164493-vi.jpg

So far the trunk is sitting flush with the rear deck as it should..............

I soldered on a very tiny collar on the left rear hinge-------this will be where part of the guitar string will go. Not exactly like the 1:1, but some concessions need to be made due to what I'm working with! :P

Copyofpc164494-vi.jpg

Well, that's it for now............thanks again for tuning in!

Hi Bill....Just a question, Keep in mind I dont build anything near the calibur of your builds and have never hinged anything, Is there a reason the brass hinge cannot be attached directly to the trunk inner structure, or notches made in the inner structure for the hinges to recess into? The brass hinge seems thin enough to look to accurate in scale,....or are the channels you slid the hinges into just temporary?

Is there a reason the brass hinge cannot be attached directly to the trunk inner structure, or notches made in the inner structure for the hinges to recess into? The brass hinge seems thin enough to look to accurate in scale,....or are the channels you slid the hinges into just temporary?

The channels I made are part of the structure for the hinges. I don't trust simply epoxying brass on to plastic------over time with the stress of opening and closing the trunk lid, the hinge will work loose from a simple surface mount onto the the trunk structure. I like positive-sturdy locations whenever I'm hinging something. Be it doors, trunks, or some other opening panels.

Those channels will get thinned down a touch to get rid of some of the squareness of them. After the trunk is painted and polished, the hinges will get epoxied inside those channels, and since I'm doing a test fit job way ahead of time before painting, there should be no surprises when it comes down to final assembly. ;)

Thanks for asking!