Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Slows Down Your Builds?

I find the things that slow me down are the things I most enjoy like painting, scratch building, mocking up . . . the routine of building ends up teaching you that the beauty of model building is the JOURNEY not the final product, although, of course, the final product is of great importance too.

The other thing is stopping to photograph or film the process.

Edited by Dr. Cranky

My wife keeps asking when are you going to finish that model! I tell her I will when it's Finished! I build to create what is in my mind, I get an idea of what I want and just start building! Sometimes I have to put a model aside for a few days and just think about it!

Well for me it's my family, wife and two kids. Our lives are pretty full right now, with a healthy dose of yard work, house related things that need to be finished. We also foster baby kittens for a local animal rescue. I would do almost anything to have a few extra hours in the day for model building. Right now I am doing what I can to stock pile kits that are ready for paint to hold me over for the winter when I won't be able to paint.

A lack of motivation because of being tired after work,too many other necessary things to do on the weekends,and a certain amount of pride to not do a totally ###### build just to say I completed something all conspire to slow me down.

I do lots of things other than work on a build but none do I consider slowing me down as I'm in no rush to complete any of them. I work on them when I feel like it for pure enjoyment. When something like BMF, lost part, or need to figure out how to do something comes up I just leave it for awhile and come back when I feel like it. I'm building only for myself so I'm the only one I have to please ,,, it's just a hobby. :)

Health... Got the muscle disease beaten into remission and am now having other , as yet unknown issues... Elevated, weak pulse, wonky blood pressure and a general feeling of extreme fatigue and weakness. I go for more tests on Monday. It's bad enough, I didn't even feel like turning on the computer yesterday... still very weak today. Haven't set at my workbench in over three weeks.... unheard of... Not cool when you consider my stash is getting no smaller and I have the 1/350 USS Missouri to finish still, it's a commissioned build but my client is very understanding as he's had serious health issues before...

1) Work; 2) Other responsibilities; 3) Technical issues that need research or correction (examples: the right period Quick Change, or paint problems); 4) Taking too much time being entertained and posting, not enough time building; 5) Getting in over-my-head, skill-wise, and having to wait 'til my skills catch up to my ambitions; 6) Getting another great idea that I have to get mocked-up, at least; 7) Burnout on the "work" part of a build; 8) Too little self-restraint as to how many builds I have going at any one time, making it difficult to finish anything; 8) Pain; 9) Laziness; 10) Sometimes just not feeling like doing anything at all.

Life combined with WAY to much time of the computer wasting hours away. (plus I run my own shop working of the lifesize versions)

My 2 girls are on the middle and high school golf teams ( just got back from picking them up at practice actually ) youngest is on a local rec soccer team and both do Karate class at least 3 nites a week. (oldest tests for her 1st degree black belt this Nov )

I build all kinds of models and each kind have something that can stop me dead in my tracks. Might be something I struggle with or something I just hate doing. Tanks - I hate doing the tracks. Planes - Seam and putty and rescribing eventually start driving me nuts. Cars - I'm poor getting a great gloss finish. But what stops me the most is losing interest in a current project because of my impatient interest to start a new one.

My other hobby - rocketry. Building rockets is a little faster, thus more instant gratification, then they Fly!

And my workflow has always been and issue. I usually have to wait on getting parts painted, and getting the airbrush all set up and the paint booth cleaned out always seems to sap my enthusiasm. It is just getting through all the grunt work of painting parts, cleaning up parts, etc that seems to stall projects. Then I end up with a million dirty color cups and bottles because i am too lazy to clean them after painting.

I have been half tempted to glue bomb a model like I did when I was kid. Paint optional. :D

With hundreds of Kits on hand I need to get motivated .... I am not getting any younger