Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stylin' Cues--Where Do You Find Yours?

When i'm out-and-about my eyes are constantly moving. If i'm not the one behind the wheel, i'm looking at shapes, colors and textures. It's the same for me as going to the craft store. I check everything and everywhere because you never know when or where inspiration will hit you. I can ascribe alot of modeling inspiration to the numerous greats out there, many of whom i've seen on this very website. I just can't bring myself to narrow it down to just people and thier work.

I've taken styling cues from water as well as aircraft, buildings and public artworks. Of course 90% of it I ascribe to an overdeveloped imagination. :D

When i'm out-and-about my eyes are constantly moving. If i'm not the one behind the wheel, i'm looking at shapes, colors and textures. It's the same for me as going to the craft store. I check everything and everywhere because you never know when or where inspiration will hit you. I can ascribe alot of modeling inspiration to the numerous greats out there, many of whom i've seen on this very website. I just can't bring myself to narrow it down to just people and thier work.

I've taken styling cues from water as well as aircraft, buildings and public artworks. Of course 90% of it I ascribe to an overdeveloped imagination. :D

I couldn't possibly say it any better, so I won't try.....except I disagree with "overdeveloped" as far as imagination goes. How about very active?

first off, i get my best ideas away from the bench. my mind just locks as far as creativity when i am building. i get my best ideas at work, when my mind starts drifting..... " hey, i can do this and this and this kit has this in it...". i draw my ideas on paper (yes, i still use pencil and paper), then will research the ideas when i get home.

:rolleyes:

I keep a camera in the wife's car, that way when we're out, if I see something that I like, I take several pictures of it. When I get home I put the pictures in the computer, print them out and put them in a ring binder and when I am ready to start a new project, I go thru the pictures and see if there is anything that could or will be used on the project.

Both of my sons also use these pictures before they start new projects. I just wish that they would return the binders, so I wouldn't have to track them down when I am ready to use them.

Jeff :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

car shows,tv shows,web,fourms, you tube i work 10 hour shifts so that gives me a lot of time to think about what i wana do. by the time pay day comes i usually spend about 1/4 of my pay check on the hobby. its addicting, then when i need a break from it i take it so i wont get burned out. this usually happens after i am done with a build, so i can do some research on my next project.

In my dreams. And this is the truth.

It takes me forever to decide what I want a certain car to look like. I look at many pictures of real cars and models of said car, and there are usually a few among them which I like. But those I can't just build, because that would make me a copycat. Then I suddenly see the solution in a dream.

OK, the above only holds true for custom cars. I build mostly factory stock though, thus there is much less need for inspiration. You just build them like you would have ordered them at your friendly dealership.

Christian, any which way we stay inspired in this hobby works for me!

Tellya. I was recently thinking about how I would build my 1/16 AMT '57 Nomad. Now, the Tri-Chevies are cars I simply cannot bring myself towards building strictly stock. I just couldn't come up with anything I really liked though. Then one appeared in a dream I had. It was slightly raked on shiny Cragar SS wheels and pretty much stock except for shaved door handles and no script and 'V' on the bonnet. All other exterior decoration was left intact. It was painted in a sort of light gold/sand metallic overall, quite sparkling, with no two-toning, and it had two simple 2 1/4" round tailpipes underneath the rear bumper, squarely cut off, like rifle barrels, with no chrome end caps.

I don't really have any style. I just sorta throw some parts together and see what happens.

Me, too. Here's a circa 1960 show rod that I'm working on. It's a Club de Mer (1956 Pontiac experimental vehicle) on a Beatnik Bandit chassis.

atpicbk2541012.jpg

Anything by Dr Cranky...

Just kidding. I get inspiration from the members of this board, The Rodder's Journal (love the histories about the golden age of hot rodding and slat-flat/lakes racing), anything I see on the street, TV, etc...

Edited by Nate