Model Cars Magazine Forum

1956 Ford F100 Pickup Is Completed

I love this kit. I'm doing one for the Naked Styrene thread. Like the tip for the leaf springs. I built this kit many years ago and the leaf springs and the axle pins to mount the wheels were very weak. I'll be watching to see how this comes out. Keep up the good work.

Thank you Danno!

Finally...a few minutes to myself without any interruptions tonight. I started the chassis assembly by installing the front and rear suspensions. I still need to add the front and rear shocks.

56F10029.jpg

I found a steering wheel in my parts box and made a tilt wheel out of it. This driver will be comfortable!

56F10030.jpg

Still rummaging through the parts box, I found a set of '06 Mustang disc brakes. This '56 will stop on a dime!

56F10031.jpg

I was able to get the distributor wired and glued to the Hemi, but I still need to run the wires and set up the ignition coil.

More to come...

I did a quick mockup to see how everything was fitting.

56F10032.jpg

I painted the floor with Model Master Wood. This will be coated with gloss clear and BMF'd later.

56F10033.jpg

The brake rotors have been attached to the wheels.

56F10034.jpg

The Hemi at home.

56F10035.jpg

56F10036.jpg

When I did the mockup, I notice that the front axle was slightly warped. I removed it from the springs and tried to twist it slightly in the opposite direction and the fragile plastic broke right in the center. I have a new axle coming from a fellow Classic Plastic Model Club member.

56F10037.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Thanks Johann! You are correct that the texture on the valve cover is for the flat black finish, but I wanted a chrome valve cover for this Hemi and these were all I had in the parts box.

Edited by mrmike

For the most part, the dash is done. I just need to install the tach somewhere.

56F10038.jpg

The seat, shifter, and gas tank are installed. I was originally going with a blue and white interior, but I had issues with my masking of the seat. After cleaning up the seat as best as I could, I gave it a light coat of Tamiya TS-19 Metallic Blue and the result is a tu-tone effect that I really like.

56F10039.jpg

The Hemi is finally completed and installed into the chassis. I'll install the exhaust system next after some cleanup of moldlines and custom shaping to line up with the Hemi exhaust manifolds. I probably should have used the Hemi headers instead of the manifolds.

56F10040.jpg

More to come...

After I mounted the wheels and tires, I did a mockup to check the stance and ride height...perfect for a daily driver!

56F10041_zpsacef42d0.jpg

I foiled the ribs on the bed. I'll polish the paint and then clearcoat the bed.

56F10042_zpsb2d90ee5.jpg

I temporarily mounted the grille to see if I should paint the area behind it. That is a yes!

56F10043_zps42160390.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Christopher!

This morning brought the '56 a long way towards completion! The cab and bed are joined with the chassis.

56F10044_zps039bb568.jpg

56F10045_zpsc7886a95.jpg

I removed the exhaust since I didn't like the way it was hanging from the frame. I'll add some tips made from aluminium tubing and polished to a nice shine.

56F10046_zpsd91348e7.jpg

All that is left are the bumpers, vent windows, taillights, touchups, and final detailing.

More to come...