Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Future Releases

The 72 GMC stepside kit is getting expensive, I would like to see it reissued soon. Same goes for their dual axle car trailer kit, it hasn't been that long since it was last available but its one of my favorites.

Ahh yes, forgot about that one. As well as the 72 Chevy Cheyenne. Luckily, I have 2 of each, SO FAR.

Man!! Idk. . I have had too many disaster's and failures with many of AMT's kits. . The 57' Chevy Belair, and the Charger Daytona Kit was about the last straw for me with this company. . These Kit's just sucked, either that or they were just bad kits bought at the Hobby Lobby for as cheap as they were. Either way I don't think I could trust any reissued kits. . Unless I know for for sure that many changes were made and implemented into the Molding process. .

Edited by davyou5

I'm sure they have plenty of old annual kit tools that haven't been reissued in decades. How about a '69 Impala SS, for example? Can you say "VEGA"? The '37 Chevy coupe 3-in-1? I always hear people looking for Ford and Dodge pickups from the 70's, and AMT (or MPC, whose tools are in with the same vintage AMT tools) made them back in the day. How about the '70 Ford Police Interceptor? Even some of the promo-like simple kits from the early 60's would be welcome. Speaking for myself, I'd flat-out LOVE to wake up some morning to the news that the '64 Corvair Monza Spyder was available once again!

A '70s Dodge pickup reissue is out of the question thanks to some heavy handed butchering of the molds for a one shot monster truck.

But the '70s Dodge vans are still viable and hopefully soon they'll be available, in light of the other van releases. Would prefer the shop van versions, but the hippie vans would be welcomed too.

And I wouldn't mind the '64 'Vair either.

How about the '70 Ford Police Interceptor?

Tower hobbys has this one listed as late August release.

They also have some others listed that I've not heard anything about, other than Towers site.

76 Ford custom van "Phanton", 69 Hurst Olds Cutlass, 75 Gremlin, and a few more.

http://www.towerhobb..._car_model.html

Edited by RJWood

How about the '78-'82 Chevy Stepside 4x4s? While the GMC Wideside version did get reissued recently, the original stock kit without the lift would be a good one to bring back. I also think that the '72-'80 Dodge trucks could possibly be reissued, too. While the longbed Sweptside has been altered, the shortbed Utiline is still intact (last reissued as the LRE). doing a comparison of the monster truck version of the Sweptside and the LRE, it looks that most of the monster truck parts are on trees that could be substituted with the LRE parts. While the truck couln't be built as the Adventurer trim leve, it could still be retooled into a stock truck. Even at that, the 4x4 parts could be restored to the LRE tool, possibly as a Warlock reissue.

A friend of mine told me the pintos and other older tooling was not taken car of and many was rusted from poor care and storage. after that awful twister vega l don't want any part of model king kits. l will have to see what amt does right now with what there selling l don't know if they can compete...

A lot of the 1960s molds were junked in the 1970s when scrap metal went into orbit.

And a lot of bad ideas, bad maintenance and bad molding practices have wrecked a lot of the survivors.

I'd be very happy to see a lot of these re-issued though. I wonder if any cataloging of what AMT/MPC has been made and would be available? If not, it might be a good idea to do it and then some choices can be made by the buyers as to what they would like to see re-issued.

Charlie Larkin

It will be nice to have the '69 Hurst Olds out again..I built it when it first came out back in the day. Nice kit.

I'm looking forward to the Vantom Ford van, never had one of AMT's Ford vans (I have the MPC 4x4 ones). I'd like to do a stock one, custom one, and a beater work van..

Interesting that Tower is listing a '75 Gremlin....I wonder if this is a missprint and a reissue of the recent '76 Gremlin reissue but in a normal sized box, or has Round2 backdated it to a '75 (some front end differences).

As far speculation about old kits that may or may not resurface, I do wonder if any of the Craftsman/Jr Craftsman kit tooling still exists...the only one that's been reissued since I've been in the game is the '64 Comet IIRC..

Edited by Rob Hall

Interesting that Tower is listing a '75 Gremlin....I wonder if this is a missprint and a reissue of the recent '76 Gremlin reissue but in a normal sized box, or has Round2 backdated it to a '75 (some front end differences).

It has a different kit/part number than the '76 kit, but you may be right on the standard size box. I guess we will see in a few months. Maybe Round2 will add some info on their 'site soon?