Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 `81 Corvette (yes `81), WIP

Hawk312

We`ll see how this goes. I am determined to complete *something* this year. :D And I am tired of seeing all my 1/8 kits just sitting around collecting dust. I guess how often I post updates will be based on interest, but they will probably be a little sporadic as my schedule is pretty crazy.

Anyway, I will be combining the `78 and `82 kits to make it an `81. I had been looking for the `82 kit for a little while online, and low and behold, I walk into my LHS the other day, and someone had just brought back to the store an original *sealed* kit from when it was originally sold in the store back in the 80`s! I couldn`t believe it when I saw it there on the shelf. The `78 I had lying around for a while, and I am hoping to build that one as the pace car.

Mainly I will be using the engine, interior, and wheels from the `78, and everything else from the `82. This will be a replica of a very specific Corvette from `81 that I thought was pretty significant. I won`t reveal that just yet though. :D But this will be similar to my 1/12 builds....factory stock, like it would look on the showroom floor.

boxes.jpg

Edited by Hawk312

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys...here is where I am going with this one.This will be one of the Alpha-Omega cars. This will be the Alpha one, the first one built in the Bowling Green Kentucky plant. I had a really hard time matching the Dark Bronze color, and it is a little more brown than I like. In the sunlight, it does have slightly more red tint to it than in this pic.

body.jpg

Dave,

I like where you are going on this project. I remember that color combination. One of the techs at the dealership I worked at had a 2 tone red one that was stunning. I sold a few "shark" Corvettes back in the day when they were new. I built a couple of the 1/8 scale Vettes back in the day. As a matter of fact, I found an old built-up of a '82 Collectors Edition in my basement, which was surprisingly complete, except that I cannot find the T-Top panels right now, and it's a bit dusty. I painted it a non factory color combination, that I actually like, and I may restore it, even though I will strip the exterior paint, and repaint it in a different color, and lose the gold accents I put on it. One of my old bosses gave me a started '78 kit, that will give me the parts I need in the event I want to backdate it to an '80 or '81. I know you will do this one justice, as you have done the others.

Ron

Thanks Ron. If you happen to need the t-top panels, I doubt I will use them and would gladly mail them to you.

I am laughing at some of the details on this kit (very spartan!). It has real rubber hoses and tires which are nice, but then the molded the whole interior bucket, center console, door panels, and seats as 1 piece!! And the engine doesn`t even have a distributor! :lol: We have come such a long way over the years.

You saw my orginal post about how I found this kit at a local hobby store? It was right down your way, in Hunt Valley Md. I just couldn`t believe it when I saw it. The last time I saw one on the shelves was back in like `85 or `86 or something like that.

Dave,

Thanks for the offer. I'm quite sure that those T-Top panels are in my basement somewhere. I found my original '78's hood and air cleaner with the '82. I have a few unbuilt large scale madels in my collection, as well as the ones I did back in the day. I have an '82 Z28 that may be resurrected as the pace car. I originally built it as a Black car with silver ground effects. I have not seen it in about 15 years. I did take a look at my Turbo Trans AM, and I hope to save the paint on it, as I like the color (Dark Green Metallic w/Gold Graphics and a Beige Hobnail Interior), and I do not want to lose the graphics. I just need the space to display them. I really enjoyed building the 1/16 scale, 1/12 scale and the 1/8 scale models. I have a Harley Electra Glide Ultra under construction. I just have to figure out how to paint the wheels properly, and add a set of whitewall tires. I'm going to painit it either Black, Dark Green Pearl, or Burgundy Pearl, with Gold graphics.

Can you imagine what the cost of an 1/8 scale kit would be if the manufacturer put some real detail in them? The old Monogram kits were nice, but had some toy-like details. I really liked the '65 Corvette, as I got one for xmas in 1966. I have one which needs re-building, which I built when I was in college in the '70's. I would like to get a set of American 5-spokes for it, and clean up the Pactra Candy Red paint on it.

Your builds are fantastic, and I would love to see what you do with the Interior on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Just about finished the interior. It`s hard to believe a kit this big is so lacking in detail. The door panels, seat bottoms, and interior bucket are all one piece, and the door panel detail is very light. I really didn`t pick much out on them because the details are so shallow. The steering wheel is waaaayyyyy out of scale. Otherwise, the dash and console details aren`t to bad. I just need to add seat belts and then I am finished with the interior.

interior.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior3.jpg

For a piece with very little detail, you did a great job picking out what was there. Looks great. The carpeting looks very good and clean. Always love seeing a good Corvette build, especially in larger scale. I wish more large scale Corvette kits would be produced. Perhaps a highly detailed kit for each generation. (And two for the C1 generation as the 53-55 Vettes are nothing like the 56-62). Imagine how sweet that would be to have highly detailed, accurate large scale kits of the '53 (with parts for making a '54 or '55 included), a '57, a '63 Coupe or '67 Convertible, a '78, a '96 (with parts to make a standard, collector's edition, or Grand Sport), a '97, then a 2012 as a C6 example.