Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie 500 reissue : I added Factory Reference Material

migace

On 1/27/2021 at 1:11 PM, Plowboy said:

Has it been that long ago when they released the 007 issue? Doesn’t seem like it. Now, they're doing a taxi version? This isn't a very good kit to be honest. But, as long as it pays the bills, that's all that matters.  

The 007 version has been out for less than a year, so maybe they ran more at the mold facility while it was in the injection molding machine, this time in a different color. 🤷‍♂️ Maybe is was a hot seller, too, but with that short of a release time between the two, it seems both were planned at or near the same time.

I picked up the 2012 release and took pics of the contents, which can be viewed here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1545/amt-1970-ford-interceptor-police

After looking the kit over thoroughly, I came away with a bit more respect for it, though I'm not prepared to say I'd recommend  everyone rush out an purchase one themselves. The body shell is pretty amazing, actually, in that engraved trim around the base of the C-pillars, along the body's midline, and on the rocker panels is about as perfect as I've ever seen-- crisp, well-defined, yet not overly done:

2v2HjWWUqx6bzhT.jpg

Panel lines are all crisp, too, as are the molded in windshield wipers and cowl grille openings. Maybe all of this crispness is due to the fact that this kit hasn't been overproduced through the years, but whatever the reason(s), it's gorgeous. Even the "Galaxie 500" nameplate at the lower edge of the trunk lid is still perfectly defined:

2v2HjWWoNx6bzhT.jpg

This kit really screams "build me curbside style!", with the above mentioned excellent body shell and less than stellar engine, chassis/floor pan, interior, and general low parts count. Not terribly surprising considering the kit's promotional model roots, but the contrast between the gorgeous body and the balance of the parts is stark, to say the least. The Boss 429 style engine is a half-hearted attempt at best, as the valve covers, the most recognizable and visible parts of that particular engine are blocky and fail to convince anyone with a passing knowledge of what Boss 429 valve covers look like. Then there's the axle hole which passes right through the engine block, the blocky looking oil pan, and the cylinder heads which are perfectly flat on all four sides, with nary a single visible detail at all. Very generic, and well, it's a good thing that engine block-off plate is included...you should use it. The engine compartment itself is just an empty space partially filled by the front wheel wells, and not much else. A separate radiator is included, as is a short firewall, but rather sparse overall.

The interior tub is a bit shallow, the door panel engraving light and completely absent on the lower half, but at least the separate (yay!) two-piece bench seat is fairly good looking. The dashboard is very bland, with almost no detail, other than a deep groove where the pad meets the dash and the glovebox detail. The instrument panel, however, features excellent raised radio (on the left, not 100% sure that's the radio, but I think it is), sweep speedometer in the center, and clock detail on the right-- beautifully engraved, and the raised details can be picked out and highlighted, drawing some attention away from the rest of the interior:

2v2HjWWZ8x6bzhT.jpg

The steering wheel also has excellent finger bump (not sure what the correct term is for those) detail on the backside, and the two spoke web area looks like you'd expect a big '70s land yacht steering wheel to look, with a large big horn pad covering everything.

The chassis floor pan piece is again simplified, but it's passable. It's looks like an early '70s American car underbody, and while there are no separate front suspension parts, the rear lower control arms, rearend assembly, and exhaust system are all one separately molded piece-- think Monogram '80s musclecar kits. Not terribly impressive, but better than being molded in. 

The deep dish steel wheels are nowhere near correct for this car, unless it was a one-off skunkworks project created by Harlan Arliss for Ponch and John....which may be possible, as there are CHP decals included:

2v2HjWWKdx6bzhT.jpg

The wheels are nicely done, and the front two have hub nut dust cover detail present, so they can be used for other, more performance oriented vehicles. A set of much shallower steel wheels and more prototypical tires would add much more credibility to the finished model, especially if built as a typical grocery getter or standard police car. Fortunately, such wheels and tires are easily sourced.

Both bumpers feature excellent engraved back-up light (rear) and headlight (front) detail, so if you want to minimize your time investment, they could be detailed and given a wash and clearcoat to enhance them.

2v2HjWWarx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HjWWejx6bzhT.jpg

Many period correct police parts are included, most of which are shown on one long side of the box. One mystery is why there are four transparent red tail light lenses included with room for only two on the rear tail panel. I though maybe the original LTD promo used a different panel with four lenses, but no, same number of tail lights as the Galaxie 500. 🤷‍♂️

2v2HjWgndx6bzhT.jpg

Quick summary-- excellent body, ideally built curbside style with different wheels and tires.

Edited by Casey

One thing I noticed on this kit when I built it is the front end/grille is a little off. The strip at the top of the grille is actually the leading edge of the hood. It should be laid back the same angle as the leading edge of the hood instead of vertical. I wanted to fix it. But, it would have required too much work. Or more than I wanted to put into it. It's one of those little things that once you see it, you can't unsee it. Here's a couple photos that shows it fairly well.

640x-.jpeg.5a5142d7db9f28550559652cda51a888.jpeg

1970-ford-galaxie-500-fastback.jpg.bf33afa641aa025e51a5051f14fc0513.jpg

I should've mentioned the James Bond/007 issue includes two instrument panel decals, presumably for two different interior trim levels:

AMT70Galaxie007Decals.jpg.56326297161b9aab8e0e65aceee6badc.jpg

Below is a 1970 Ford Galaxie 500 XL dashboard: 

70fordgalaxiedash.jpg.b3b932130ae83c45de38faec6b5b5d72.jpg

Edited by Casey

4 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

So my kit didn't have two sets of rear light lenses by accident then? I did wonder about that.

It's strange, as the runner which connects all four lenses is still connected in my kit, so it's not like an extra set was added during packaging.

I thought back to the discussion regarding the extra tail light trim pieces found in the early Mustang kits, and how someone (Mark, Don, ??) mentioned AMT molded an extra for when workers hand assembled the promotional models, sometimes the part was dropped/lost, so an extra was close at hand. Not sure if that applies here, but it is what it is. Guess it's a good problem to have.

5 hours ago, Casey said:

It's strange, as the runner which connects all four lenses is still connected in my kit, so it's not like an extra set was added during packaging.

I thought back to the discussion regarding the extra tail light trim pieces found in the early Mustang kits, and how someone (Mark, Don, ??) mentioned AMT molded an extra for when workers hand assembled the promotional models, sometimes the part was dropped/lost, so an extra was close at hand. Not sure if that applies here, but it is what it is. Guess it's a good problem to have.

That was my thought as well, similar to how the '71 T-bird has 5 wheel covers - remnant of the promo days.

When this one was still the 1970 LTD promo, it also had 5 wheel covers:

image.png.ca6bea991c987b24003f1f0e0e5fd329.png

Can't tell for sure from this pic of there's 4 taillights or not.

Edited by Robberbaron

ah, yes, the '71 T-Bird, another kit with extra parts. I remember building mine and wondering why there were tail lights in there that didn't fit that car, the extra wheel caused some confusion. I didn't notice I'd cut five wheels off the sprue, I must have been on autopilot or something. I was going to fit the stock wheels and found the axles were too thick to fit in the holes which led to splitting one open when I tapped it in! I threw it in the bin and used the custom wheels in the kit, after I finished, I went to put the left over parts in my spares tin and found I still had four wheels:/ Lol. It was the first time I've ever gained a part as apposed to loosing one.

• 2 weeks later...

Original issue from 1972. The bridge between the windshield and rear window still has the "70 FORD LTD" in place while later versions no longer do. Pay no mind to the chrome plated parts for the AMT '70 Impala...😲

AMTFOrdGalaxie500OriginalIssueBox.jpg.0437d45703b6cb87a6f8edcc52dbd2b5.jpg

AMTFOrdGalaxie500OriginalIssue.jpg.f051eb5fd6341e35153b6909b0b92c37.jpg

Edited by Casey
updated Y.o.R.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Original issue from 197..0? The bridge between the windshield and rear window still has the "70 FORD LTD" in place while later versions no longer do.

The fire and police stuff appeared in the ‘72 catalog iirc, Ahrens-Fox included. Motor City was 70, they had to fiddle tool a little bit. So maybe 71. 
I forget how long it was in catalog, but first reissue was the HH. No idea on year of that despite buying one then. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, alexis said:

(Who wants to bet that there will be at least one set of Cop Car decals too. After all, the police gear should still be in the kit.  )

I'll take that bet. They released the 007 branded police car less than a year ago, so I doubt anything but taxi decals will be included in this version to make it more distinct.

FWIW, there is a clear roof-mounted taxicab sign in the Reve'' Chevy Caprice taxi/fire chief kit, but only stickers are provided, no decals.