Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Ford Galaxie 500 reissue : I added Factory Reference Material

migace

20 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

I built this a few months back as a San Francisco yellow cab. It came in a very plain black and white box.

Sounds like the Hobby Heaven version, released back in the 1990s.  HH did several private-issue kits in plain white boxes.  The AMT '63 Chevy Impala was another one.

70-Ford-Police-HH.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 8/4/2020 at 5:21 PM, doorsovdoon said:

I built this a few months back as a San Francisco yellow cab. It came in a very plain black and white box.

Your foresight is impressive. ?️?️

AMT 1243 - 1970 Ford Galaxie Taxi

I have to believe this one will be molded in yellow.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Is Round2 doing a Taxi version? I'd prefer they do a Checker Marathon but can only wish I guess. I'd still pick up another Galaxie though if they include the right decals and roof sign.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:26 AM, doorsovdoon said:

Is Round2 doing a Taxi version? I'd prefer they do a Checker Marathon but can only wish I guess. I'd still pick up another Galaxie though if they include the right decals and roof sign.

That seems to be the case. ? Not sure if they will tool up an all-new roof sign, meter, etc., but I think that would fit their recent pattern of creating some all new detail parts to include in existing kits-- new push bumper for MPC Dodge Monaco, for example. They could re-use the taxi parts for future re-issues of the '67 Impala 4-door sedan and MPC Dodge Monaco, too.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:24 PM, Casey said:

That seems to be the case. ? Not sure if they will tool up an all-new roof sign, meter, etc., but I think that would fit their recent pattern of creating some all new detail parts to include in existing kits-- new push bumper for MPC Dodge Monaco, for example. They could re-use the taxi parts for future re-issues of the '67 Impala 4-door sedan and MPC Dodge Monaco, too.

The Impy being a H/T not so much but maybe the '65 Chevelle wagon, the ex-Lindberg Dodge Caravan could also be used for taxi service.

33 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

The Impy being a H/T not so much but maybe the '65 Chevelle wagon, the ex-Lindberg Dodge Caravan could also be used for taxi service.

FF5DED74-3A9A-44AB-A3F3-97AD143323D0.jpeg.525b7351f5fdc67459d14849f08407b8.jpeg

That would work!

The only issue is that the 1996 Caravan is now 25 years old! Time does fly!

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 1/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, Luc Janssens said:

OMG Casey you sound like a sales rep!  And I thought you were one of the good guys ;)  :P

Ha! Just jaded in my middle age, I guess. 

This kit has always intrigued me, but I decided to pass on the molded-in-blue 007 release, and now I'm glad I did. I can deal with yellow plastic, and as David's brown build above shows this kit works well when built as a that car you inherited from your Grandpa, decked out with a set of wheels and tires which are worth more than the car itself. ?

Good content pic of the older, Hobby Heaven generic reissue:

hh60galaxie.jpg.b645099964e5219f26381bdd28d75596.jpg

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

That's a '68 Galaxie.

I'm not up on full-sized Fords from that era... Given that the film was made in 1971 --- the newest cars in that film which I can recall are a couple of 1970 Coronet Taxi , the 1970-71Lincoln , and the 1971 LeMans 4-door hardtop . 

On 1/16/2021 at 4:40 PM, Casey said:

I doubt the masses would either notice nor care. As long as it's molded in taxi cab yellow with NYC and other cab decals, it'll sell.

Oh, if it comes with period-correct NYC decals I'd definitely be one of those people picking a couple up

26 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Oh, if it comes with period-correct NYC decals I'd definitely be one of those people picking a couple up

No idea if it will or not, but it would make sense. Round2 released the NYC Auxiliary Services sheet a few year ago, so probably not a huge leap to create a generic NYC cab company(ies) logo(s):

nycauxdecals.jpg.56a54458bb8f6365689b118d3cd36319.jpg

There's really not much in the way of logos and/or decoration on an early '70s era taxi anyway, so the decal sheet needn't be huge:

nyctxis.jpg.10649c694e856d5eb095377956893a03.jpg

On 1/14/2021 at 1:01 AM, Casey said:

It may have Las Vegas taxi decal set as there some  Ford Taxi's in the 007 Diamonds are Forever, So I'm thinking maybe another 007 James Bond tie in kit...

It will be kinda fun to see what livery it has.

And, I'll wager that nothing changes as far as the contents, except for possibly having a Taxi Rooftop sign. My guess is that all the police equipment will still remain in the kit too. So, your 429 powered Taxi, is a safe bet.