Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build to impress or build to display?

I find myself time after time going beyond what my current model skills can handle and I always find myself backtracking, trying to fix my mess ups and it makes me lose interest... I think I need to start building box stock for awhile and slowly up my skills. I've ruined a lot of plastic doing this and its costing me a lot of $ because I always end up going an buying new kits... When you build do you go for the wow effect or do you do it for your own taste? I need to figure out something that I can keep up with, its mostly when it comes time ro build a custom frame or something I mess up, don't have the right supplies and I get frustrated and I give up... Maybe I need to switch over to a different style of building... ?

Alberto, I build to my tastes, not for anyone else or a contest. Start out with box-stock, get the basics nailed down, then stretch out a bit. The tallest building can only stand on a solid foundation, and that what box-stock will give you, a good, solid foundation. Once you've got the skills built, then stretch out a bit. We all go beyond our skill levels at some point, that's when I box the model back up and grab another. Until I feel my skills have improved to the point where I can finish off the one I boxed up, I'll let it sit. I've got quite a few that have been boxed for well over 5 years, I'll finish 'em off when I feel I can do it without screwing the model up completely.

I always get to the point in a build where I realise, this is not going to be a show winner nor will it most likely ever see a show table, then I just finish it for fun and go on to the next one. I don't like to redo my own models, although I may sometimes add new detail later as my skills get better. I personally like box stock sometimes the best, if I could only do one. :lol: It's nice to have this Forum to post pictures and get comments, otherwise some models might just sit on the shelf and never get looked at. I like to see them at all skill levels built by others. I say just have fun and share it here.

If you stay within your limits and continue to build the next one better you will produce some very nice models without the need for heavy body or frame mods or the need for lots of aftermarket items. Smooth paint with proper thickness can be tough to master but it is worth the effort to learn. A well done foil job can take some practice too but will really make a build stand out. Proper body fit, wheel alignment, and stance speak volumes and can create the need for serious modifications to look right, and will teach you tons. Get the basics down and the tough stuff aint so bad. Good luck and have fun :)

Hey Alberto, here is something else that I have to keep in mind: Some of these guys posting pictures of their work on here are the best model builders on this planet and that my building skills will never ever reach their level. That is OK because I may be better lookin' :)

I build box stock and maybe change wheels to my liking. l build for myself to display. l am not no way build a car for a show. l stick to my strengh and l am my own worst crittic. l think all of us are hard to hard on our work sometimes..

I build for myself 100%, to impress MYSELF when I look at a completed model and can't quite believe I'm the one who did it. I have a long way to go as far as skills go and I'm my own harshest critic, but I try to evaluate my own work objectively and compare it to the work I see of guys who inspire me. I'm constantly trying to improve my skills, add more, and work a little beyond my comfort level. That's how I grow.

I've been back in the hobby about 5 years, and until June, I hadn't finished a single build. I'd start something ambitious, get to a point where I really had to admit I didn't quite know what to do next, and I'd shelve it and start another one. Lately I've been pulling those unfinished builds out and making real progress on some, because SOME of my skills have caught up to my ambition. Practice practice practice.

This hobby is a journey, not a destination. Keep building, work at developing more and better skills IF that's what you want to do, and above all, enjoy the DOING of it. No matter how much raw talent you may have, you're probably not going to be scratch-building cotest-quality cars immediately, so try to just focus on doing the work in the moment (a Zen thing) and only bite off chunks of projects you think you're ready for. You HAVE to work beyond your comfort level if you want to progress, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with building at any level, if you ENJOY it.

Think beyond how your building them, and ask yourself "why?" Is it because you like that particular model of car? Or it's your favorite race car? Once you know why your building it, just build it.

My self, I like to try one thing that's not box stock, be it wire an engine, flocking, making seat belts. I have found that it keeps the build interesting but not to much to make me loose interest. And one day, I know I'll be able to do all these little things to one model that will really make a masterpiece for my collection.

Someone on here has a tag line "every model is practice for the next one"

True story !!

I just try to make myself happy. Which is hard to do sometimes. I try and acheive the most realistic results I can possibly do every time. That doesn't always mean that's what the results are. I believe Clay Kemp once said, and please don't hate me if I'm wrong about who said this, but I think it was Clay; try and look at every piece of the model as a model in itself. And make evey part look as good as you can and your level of detail will just get better and better. I think this is probably the most sound advice I've heard. Do this, and in time; you'll be happy with the results. Unless you're building it for somebody else, just build it the way YOU would want it. And don't listen to Junkpile, he lives in Kansas! LOL, just kiddn! I live in Kansas too. :D

Corey

I build to a very simple standard. To push my skills and abilities to the limit on each build. In other words, to make each model better than the last. Frankly, if I am not making and fixing mistakes, I am not learning. If you do this then the pride of skill will overtake any frustrations of error. Let the accolades and complements take care of themselves. Those things you toss or cost you money are the tuition for learning. Feel the pride of mastering a new skill no matter how small and the other irritations will disappear.

I think i find it hard to build because i never have the right materials for what i want to do.. I try to build custom pickups and it hasnt worked for me in the past. i think i am gonna shelf all my current builds. I am gonna pick up one kit, grab some engine detail parts, grab some flocking, buy a few nice paint brushes and work on that model and do as was said "Treat every piece like its a model itself".

I am gonna go with smaller mods, take my time and if I dont have what i need at the very moment ill hold off til i do have something i can do to it... i cant make Ny promises but i really hope that i can turn out some models that people will enjoy looking at and i will be proud to put into the display cases in my room.

I build for myself and to enjoy on my shelf, BUT I do compete. Each new model makes the rounds of the few contests I attend once. If it wins great, if it didn't, it obviously didn't deserve to. However, I'm still happy with it. But because I compete, I do try to built to a compedative level.

I have written a post about the very thing you are experiencing and rather than post it over and over again for these situations, I just put a link in my signature line. Check the Walk Then Run link below and you'll see a discussion about your issue. I think it will be enlightening.

Rob, I really appreciate you posting that link. That is exactly what I am feeling, ive always been a person to catch on quick. I find myself reading alot, looking over pictures, trying to get the skills more developed. I know reading doesnt make a builder but it makes it easier on them so there not constantly doing a trial and error..

I have spent so much time pondering thoughts of "what can i do to this, that most havent done in the past?" Once i start i realize, The other builders probably have more expirience than I do. I love the constructive criticism.

I totally agree about building for yourself. I don't think I would be as happy building if I was trying to please someone else. I do try and make my next one better than my last but that doesn't always pan out. When I plan a build I am normally going for a certian look. I don't worry about if the engine is wired but the firing order is wrong or if something else I do to get the look I am going for is not practicle on a real car. For me it's all about relaxing and having fun.

I always build just for me. Each build is more practice for the next build. I started attending/entering contests about 2 years ago at the JaxCon event (where I met several MCM people). Contests are fun because you can see what others are building in person. Everyone I met so far has been more than willing to share their model building experience and comments of my builds and that has helped me build better models.

The answer to the question is very easy.

If you build models with the intention of entering contests, you obviously have to build to impress others.

If you build models for your own enjoyment, what others think doesn't matter.

Only you can decide how you want to take part in the hobby.

I don't build to either impress or display. I build just to build, something to pass the time and keep me busy, much like doing the daily crossword puzzle. The completed project gets photographed then placed in my parts bin to be scavenged for future projects. Nobody but me ever sees them.

well, this is a very good subject and i am going to turn the table on this one for a munite. i have been building kits for over 40 years, do not enter shows so i build for myself and i have yet to build one that i approve of. there is always something wrong and you know right where its at. after i build something, it goes right in the box. i dont have a display anywhere in my house of my builds because i am the hardest critic of my work. when i look at someone elses builds, i think "man thats cool, look at this and this and i wish mine would turn out like that." i display my builds at my model club and it wins model of the month and i say " what iin tarnations are you guys looking at?" i am ok with how my builds turn out, but not like when i am lookinig at someone elses.

i guess i may be looking for thet perfect build in which there is no such thing. i have been a member here for a while but i dont post much stuff here, i guess the reason is on the same level as what Rob posted in his "walk then run" post. i actually look for the "you should have dont it this way" or "next time, use this, its much better than what you used". the common "nice build" or "sweet" comments on something that i know isnt the best is comforting but not what i am looking for. corrective critism done right is very good.

i think we all post here to get approval from all our piers. we post here to hear "sweet" and "nice build" and it comforts us, but once we hear "you should buff your paint out more" or "you should fill in those gaps with scrap syrene", our feelings get hurt and we start yelling back. its tough to interpret someones post, a lot of people take it wrong also.

so (i know, i rambled) to sum it up, i build for myself (heck, i pro street EVERYTHING and its suppose to be dead!!), but i will never satisfy myself. i think we look for that satifaction here even though we are building for ourselves.

hope this made sense.......

I build for my own enjoyment. Which means I might build a model straight from the box with only some engine detailing, or I might build a simple kit bash. Then turn around and build a car with a lot of modification where very little of the original kit is used. I just get an idea for a build and get the parts together and lay out a plan for the build and start building to suit myself!

Edited by Tom Setzer

I build for "myself" just like I did back in the 50's & 60's. It was fun back then and I try and keep it that way now. While I don't crank out "award winning" contest models build after build like some guys do, I enjoy my builds and that's what counts. I do enjoy seeing other guys builds and really marvel at the award winning contest builds also, but it's not going to change my building style.

I think Tubbs just hit it on the head. I love it when people give me constructive criticism on my builds. I suck it up, and soak it up for all it's worth. I can't count the number of times someone has seen one of my builds, and pointed out some little thing that I wouldn't have even thought of. And it's alot of times the little things that make a huge difference. So with me, criticize away; I welcome it. That said, nobody should get on here and be negative in any way towards another builder or build no matter the skill level. We are all on here to enjoy viewing other people's builds and learn from other peoples idea's and interpretations, and hopefully we can bring some enjoyment to others by displaying our builds. Am I right?

Corey