AMT '40 Ford Sedan Delivery - Gene Winfield

57 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Looks like Round2 plans to reissue the 1/25 '40 Ford Sedan Delivery kit in late November with the box art showing Gene Winfield's car, and a Three Stooges version soon after.

Posted · Report post

Both issues should be interesting.

Posted · Report post

Ive always liked this kit.

Posted · Report post

Awesome. Gene is the best custom builder going. Hands down. Great guy too

Posted · Report post

I've built a couple and have a couple of the S/Ds in my stash. If/when this kit comes out, I'll just have to add to my stash.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Good to hear this one is coming back...I wondered if they had ruined the tooling a few years ago w/ that strange custom version.

Edited by Rob Hall

Posted · Report post

I wonder if the Stooges version is stock with painter's ladders and such.....

Posted · Report post

This old kit has a Nailhead engine and full single bar flipper hubcaps.

Don't remember if it has the ribbed bumpers too.

Posted · Report post

The org. issue of this kit was molded in yellow. I would guess they wouldn't do yellow since it is hard to get paint to cover it without a barrier. Steve

Posted · Report post

Long as I can build rep-stock, I'm happy.

Separate question- the sedan deliveries would have used car or truck colors, as they were different?

I can see a fleet of those for a nice big grocery store in Boston or Worcester; I think I just gave myself an idea for a build.

Charlie Larkin

Posted · Report post

l need a couple who know if it will ever be back again....

Posted · Report post

Cool, maybe they will put the Keystones in it as I bought on once for them and they were not included!! But it is cool that they did away with that nasty(IMHO) so-called custom.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Long as I can build rep-stock, I'm happy.

Separate question- the sedan deliveries would have used car or truck colors, as they were different?

I can see a fleet of those for a nice big grocery store in Boston or Worcester; I think I just gave myself an idea for a build.

Charlie Larkin

if its a gene winfield edition charlie i think youll be S.O.L for rep stock

Edited by MachinistMark

Posted · Report post

I still have one of those with the body all marked up for widening to the correct dimensions. When AMT did this one, they made it fit their 39-40 Sedan fender/running board unit, which made the sedan delivery a good bit too narrow. It will be fun to widen out that body shell to make it correct.

Art

Posted · Report post

How much wider than the coupe/sedan bodies are they Art? I've got at least 5 of these rascals, and if it's easier to split two bodies to get it right, rather than to try to widen the body itself, maybe I could go that route?

Posted · Report post

Good to hear this one is coming back...I wondered if they had ruined the tooling a few years ago w/ that strange custom version.

I was under the same impression. I had built the original version as a kid, and was feeling wistful after seeing this:

AMT_38257.jpg

Fortunately, these changes appear to have been strictly cosmetic with no damage done to the original tooling. OTOH, I often wonder if there are actually any real car guys at these modeling companies. Hideous redesign aside, what 'suit' with a double-digit IQ allowed this kit to be released with box art proclaining that it's a Woodie. Probably a Prius driver...

Posted · Report post

I thought a "woodie" had to have some wood.

Posted · Report post

I was under the same impression. I had built the original version as a kid, and was feeling wistful after seeing this:

Fortunately, these changes appear to have been strictly cosmetic with no damage done to the original tooling. OTOH, I often wonder if there are actually any real car guys at these modeling companies. Hideous redesign aside, what 'suit' with a double-digit IQ allowed this kit to be released with box art proclaining that it's a Woodie. Probably a Prius driver...

There were a few changes to the hood and body to accomodate a hood ornament and an external visor (holes molded into the body). Balance of the kit was more or less the same. What really had me worried was the fender unit- it was worked over to accomodate those snail-eye looking headlights and molded full skirts. Apparenlty what damage RC2 wrought was easily corrected!

As far as the 'Woody' thing, this was RC2, the company whose ineptitude nearly killed the AMT/Ertl brand outright. They also called Daisy's Jeep CJ a 'CI', and put out all that misleading and/or downright terrible box art... calling an SD a Woody shouldn't be too much of a shocker. B)

Posted · Report post

if its a gene winfield edition charlie i think youll be S.O.L for rep stock

Other than the wheels/tires of the Winfield edition, what's custom about it? It looks pretty stock to my untrained eye.

Posted · Report post

The kit always had a chromed drop front axle, so I'd guess it will be in the reissue too.

Posted · Report post

I think it would be safe to assume that most (if not all) of the street rod parts added in the '80's (billet steering wheel, digital dash, Recaro seats, etc.) would be in this version as well.

Posted · Report post

This is a Sedan delivery, not a wider panel van. The sedan deliveries were made to fit on the standard chassis and fenders of the sedan and coupes. That "mess" of a kit called a woody, by magazine types too, was different from the stock version. It had holes above the windshield for a shade over the top of the windshield and of course the fenders were "customised" with full skirts and headlight pods like on a '37 Chevy. This disaster is perfect example of what happens when non-car types get involved with model kits. I am currently using the body, interior and trim from that kit combined with the fender section of a '39 Ford sedan to make a '39 Ford Sedan Delivery street rod. So far so good. Can't decide what color(s) to paint it. Some cutting on the rear of the Delivery interior bucket was needed to fit it on the '39 fenders.I am leaving the windshild shade on cause it looks cool. I am using the nailhead with the blower from the AMT '57 Chevy kit with a small 4 barrel. Gonna try to make headers from solid core solder. Patrick

Posted · Report post

The Three-Stooges version looks factory-stock on it's box art... (I'd bet both of these kits will be filled with the exact same parts, just different decal sheets).

Posted · Report post

I still have one of those with the body all marked up for widening to the correct dimensions. When AMT did this one, they made it fit their 39-40 Sedan fender/running board unit, which made the sedan delivery a good bit too narrow. It will be fun to widen out that body shell to make it correct.

Art

I think they used the 40 coupe to make this kit.

They both have the Buick nailhead and Keystone mags.The original Issue 40 sedan delivery even had the Toronado wheel covers.

There's a Gene Winfield 40 Sedan Delivery on eBay right now.

Posted · Report post

Did this kit have separate pieces for it's rear suspension, (separate rear axle, spring & shocks), or is the complete rear suspension molded directly into the main chassis piece?