Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sad News; Skip Samples 1949-2012

It is with a sad and heavy heart that the San Diego Model Car Club announces the passing of a dear friend and club member, Skip Samples. One of the original founders of the club and its first president. He will be sorely missed by all his fellow club members, and by many in the Model, Racing, and Surfing world. We lost a valuable asset and ally in our beloved hobby.

Skip, may every wave be perfect, every pass a record run, and all your paint jobs smooth.

skip_0.jpg

If you have your copy of the Aug/Sep 2009 Model Cars mag you should remember this car:

allbuslow01-vi.jpg

Skip produced all of the special decals on this model. He worked diligently over many back and forth e-mails to get these just right. Making his own decals was a sub-set of this hobby that he really enjoyed.

He also did this one that basically amounted to a complete decal "wrap".

prudhomme008-vi.jpg

He wouldn't take a dime for any of this work saying only that seeing the finished model was all the payment he needed. I have a total of seven models in my collection that simply would not exist were it not for Skip's desire and effort to make the decals for them.

Before I moved to Tennessee, Skip and I lived only a mile or two from each other, and since the move we still kept in touch via e-mail.

He was a good friend and a great, and dedicated modeler, and he will be greatly missed!

When I read the title, I knew I have heard his name before. I don't know if it is from the msg boards. Perhaps it's the builds that Drew shared. No matter, it is a sad loss for our hobby.

First off. On behalf of the Samples Family, I would like to thank you all for your kind words.

I am Jesse Chavez, President of the San Diego Model Car Club and a good friend of Skip Samples. It is nice to see some of his other friends remembering what a great guy he was.

I was very fortunate to be by his bedside on the evening he passed and glad I had the chance to thank him on behalf of the modeling community for all he did for us. Skip was always trying to better the hobby in any way he could. From experimenting with paints and decals, to just offering words of encouragement and advice to motivate people to build.

He was a light that was dimmed too soon.

This is a heck of a way for me to make an intro to this forum, but, I am glad to be here representing a good friend.

Jesse

Edited by Daddyfink