Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baby Moons?

Thanks Dan, you were right they were in the '56 Ford box just like you said. I didn't have the '37 pickup, only had the '37 panel and didn't find them there John, thanks to you also

The AMT '56 Ford kit has a nice set of baby moons.

Thanks Dave, good tip!

Glad to help, and I really think you'll like those nails as baby moons; the nickel plating is far better than any kit chrome. If you have trouble finding them locally, PM me your mailing addy and I'll send you a set.

Glad to help, and I really think you'll like those nails as baby moons; the nickel plating is far better than any kit chrome. If you have trouble finding them locally, PM me your mailing addy and I'll send you a set.

Thanks Dave, I picked some up from Lowe's today and I see what you mean, perfect! Thanks for offering to send me some also, you are too generous and I appreciate it. :)

• 3 years later...

Good sources; I was wondering if the upholstery tacks were still available -- I discovered them about 1962 (no kidding) and thought that maybe they had been obsoleted by now.  Chevy made some nice ones with the 'bowtie' embossed on 1:1 cars back in the late '60s; I wonder if any of the kit makers picked up on those?

When I built my T-bucket from the AMT Double-T kit back at the original release, I used AMT Model A stock headlites (trimmed)  for moonies; not too bad a fit!  And they're still on the model, 53 years later...  I couldn't find finned heads for the flattie'(from the '40 coupe kit) back then from AMT/SMP/etc. so I adapted a pair from I think it was a Revell Deuce kit, and faked a 'trimmed' 4-71 GMC blower as a S.C.O.T. or Italmeccanica huffer.  

I need a set of 1/25 baby moons to finish building a replica of my '65 Pontiac Tempest Custom -- college car and date-mobile for my soon-to-be wife -- converted from the GTO kit.  It was a two-door HT, 326 with 3-speed, and it proves how much in love I was that I didn't put a Hurst floor-shift in it to discomfit my Benita!

But I digress; I'll try Parts by Parks.  THX!

Wick Humble, author of HOW TO RESTORE YOUR DATSUN Z-CAR (1991 and still in print) and recently, the '59 Impala development history for "Street Rodder" last fall.

The Parts ,by Parks baby moons are excellent, very shiny and properly shallow for a good scale effect. They are pricey, however.

In kit form my go-to because the kit is deep in useful parts for my projects is the AMT '40 Ford Sedan Delivery kit, although you have to be careful which one you get. The baby moons look very good, if a bit "tall" or deep. The kits are common and are regularly re-issued so they are not too expensive. The most recent re-issue with the baby moons was the Three Stooges version from Round2 (you won't find them in the Gene Winfield version):

product.jpg

Any release that has the flipper hubcaps and the Desoto ribbed bumpers in it has the baby moons as well, whereas the kits that come with the Cragar mags don't. Here are two older releases that include the baby moons:

amt-1940-ford-sedan-delivery-stock-or-cuFile-vi.jpg

As one would expect, they fit the standard AMT Ford style steelies perfectly, and also fit many other 1/24th and 1/25th steelies with no real issues. Here are the 'caps on a '29 A Roadster I built a few years back:

DSCF3499-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Congrats, VW Dave:

Lowes still has the "Furniture Nail. Smooth -- Nickel, p/n 532632, 25 count, made in Taiwan" for sale, and cheap.  As in the 'sixties, with the pin cut off they make GREAT baby moons for 1/25-1/24:1 scale cars (Sorry Parks).

I'd give them a bit of wax before cementing on, to protect the plating; nickel dulls, which is why most cas makers since the 1930's have overplated it with chromium.  

Wick Humble

Here's a tasty tip for baby moon caps.

Buy a box of these ,, eat them all right away! , , I promise they'll taste better than furniture nails. :o

142 4243

Notice they're packaged on a little vacuuformed tray in the shape of little cups. Flip it over and check between the cups that hold the candy,,

142 4242

See all the smaller "domes" between the bigger ones?

They're easy to trim out. There's 15 in every box and just look at the size in a regular 1/25 steel wheel,,

142 4241

Pretty sweet, Eh? ;):D

Edited by Can-Con

It's not uncommon for people to claim other people's work. I've seen it from kindergarten up until now, and never understood how anyone would want to do that. 

But what I find particularly odd here is that Barris did enough really cool stuff over the years to not have to try to take credit for other's work to build himself up. He had plenty of cred from his own early accomplishments.

But you know, the guy's dead. He can't defend himself, so why not just look at the stuff he DID do and let the rest of it drop?

Here's a tasty tip for baby moon caps.

Buy a box of these ,, eat them all right away! , , I promise they'll taste better than furniture nails. :o

142 4243

Notice they're packaged on a little vacuuformed tray in the shape of little cups. Flip it over and check between the cups that hold the candy,,

142 4242

See all the smaller "domes" between the bigger ones?

They're easy to trim out. There's 15 in every box and just look at the size in a regular 1/25 steel wheel,,

142 4241

Pretty sweet, Eh? ;):D

Very creative.