Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rootbeer and Champagne Freightliner

Sounds almost tasty doesn't it? Actually I built this rig about 3 years ago and its my first build since I was a teenager.

I saw the truck kit at a local hobby shop and decided it was time to build again. Most of the paint stripes were rather obviously painted

except the medium brown in the middle which is automotive tape. It's a little rough but I think still looks okay.

Anyway, I just wanted to paint this Freightliner in these colors for kicks. The brown is Testors modelmasters rootbeer brown

and the metallic beige is Dupli-Color Toyota touch-up paint.

I had some trouble with painting, I think I had encountered a phenomenon called "degassing" because when I laid the second color on top of the first,

it started bubbling like crazy... Didn't leave enough time between coats I guess. One day was not enough.

So I removed part of it from the roof and left the base champagne color there.

I wanted to see what this truck would look like with spoke wheels,

so I swapped the ones from a Chevy Titan I bought some time later. I cut the exhaust stacks and put in aluminum pipes instead.

I should have put something bigger but they were the same size tubing as the kit pipes. Then I put on some plastic wire for the CB antennae.

The flatbed Fruehauf is simply built out of the box.

freightrightsmallt.jpg

freightleftwithflatbeds.JPG

freightfullleftsmall.jpg

freightfrontsmall.jpg

freightbackwithflatbed.jpg

freightbacksmall.jpg

Edited by BigBad

Really nice paintwork and build-quality! Did you use the kit-supplied front tires, or are those front tires from another source? (They look slightly-larger in overall size to me, but maybe its just that the spoked-wheels are slightly smaller).

Really nice paintwork and build-quality! Did you use the kit-supplied front tires, or are those front tires from another source? (They look slightly-larger in overall size to me, but maybe its just that the spoked-wheels are slightly smaller).

Mark, all the tires are kit supplied and the same size on this truck. The wheels are also the same diameter.

Of note: Ever since I built it, I find the front axle a little wide for the cab, not by much but still a bit wide, so that would be something to watch for somebody who wants to build a Freightliner.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Edited by BigBad

Thanks! Apparently, there's nothing like an old Freightliner to get some attention! :rolleyes: I had fun building that beast even if it wasn't perfect to start with... I could have refined the stripes a bit with better masking tape, but I have great material to work with now. Maybe I'll have to make another one with OEM factory stripes and a DD 8V71, two snorkel air intakes... :)

Lucas ,good point about a 318's little peashooter stacks. this kit has a little 250 .

Robert ,Ive come back and looked at this build many times

Ha, the more I look at it, the more they look like straws! I just might cut them down and put some 3/16" pipe instead for less of a kiddy look.

I'm happy this truck can be of some interest Kevin, thanks!