Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailing wire....could be free...

blunc

I posted this in a Workbench thread and realized it would fit real good here for detailing engine compartments and any other place on your models that would look better with wires attached.

Old motors/armatures from slot cars and/or dead cd/dvd/floppy drives use wires of similar gauge and if you have any dead electronics or have access to scrap electronics or motorized toys then you have a great source of free wires in various sizes and colors.

Just disassemble the motor and find the outermost armature winding and start unwinding it, there are literally tens of feet of wire on some of those.

Regular multi-strand car or speaker wire can be pulled from it's cover/sleeve and separated down to individual strands then painted to your preference.

You forgot to mention twist ties. The kind that is used on garbage bags or in electronics packaging to keep cords neatly bound in the box. They are usually free and a good size for makinig scaled ignition wire when you remove the outter casing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

also the clear twist ties they use to secure new toys into the packaging, makes great oil lines. I get to stock up every xmas.

100_9097.jpg

also great vent/fuel line

100_9103.jpg

also pcv/ crankcase evac line/tube.

flexible, paintable

I love this stuff. almost wish i could get it by the spool.

100_8918.jpg

Edited by envious8420

• 3 weeks later...