Model Cars Magazine Forum

HELP...! Has anyone used Scalecoat to strip paint from a resin body...?

Hey guys. I need some help here. I' working on the resin convertible conversion kit from Replicas & Miniatures of MD for the Revell chopped '49 Merc. Everything else (chassis, engine, interior) is done, except for painting the body. A little while ago I sprayed the resin body & plastic hood with Duplicolor Storm Gray Metallic, over Duplicolor Primer Sealer. Well... I guess I was being just a liiiiiittle too impatient to see some color on this thing... I didn't warm the can of paint (#1)... and I painted it in my closed garage which is kind of cool from my central A/C system but.... I guess some humidity crept in from outside... (#2).

The paint on the plastic hood blushed a little, and the paint on the resin body ran on one side and spit little bubble like things on the trunk...

I have had excellent success over the years using Scalecoat paint remover, but I've never used it on resin, only plastic. Has anyone used it to remove paint from resin, or, does anyone know if the Scalecoat will attack the resin in any way...??? Nothing on the bottle says it will harm any surface but I'd like to be sure before I dunk the body...

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

I had problems with it if you leave it in too long. (I left it in for about 3 hours.) It makes the resin more like rubber instead of being hard. I've learned to let it sit for only 10 - 15 minutes at a time. And I use a toothbrush to clean it; then immediately wash it off with soap and water. You can go back and do this several times. Hope this is the information you needed to hear.

I had the same problem on a resin body. You might want to stay away from the Purple Power also. I turned a '56 Bel Air coupe to mush. You may have to practice your sanding skills unless some knows of a better product. I wish you luck .