Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 5 best GM designs

It depends on how far back you want to go, but if the cutoff is 1960s or newer, I think the 65-66-67 Impala belongs on the list. And I'd take the '68 vette over the '63.

The Impalas I have to agree, much more worthy than that stupid Solstice, but I figure the 63 Vette is purely because of the split window.

The Impalas I have to agree, much more worthy than that stupid Solstice, but I figure the 63 Vette is purely because of the split window.

Yeah, I agree, that split window thing has some sort of magic to it for some, but I see it as more of a gimmick than good styling. To my eye the '68 Corvette is a much nicer design than the '63. Heck, I prefer the original '53-54-55 to the '63! But I think I'm in the minority on that one! :D

1963 Corvette? Not a Corvette guy by any stretch, but that's almost too easy. Does that split window really make that much of a difference as far as looks go? I think the later 427s with the scooped hood and side pipes look better, but I don't have any problem with this car on the list.

'63 Riv? Totally agree- fantastic looking from any angle. Unfortunately got uglier and uglier as time wore on, much like the later Olds Toronado.

'70 Camaro? Nope. Kind of looks like a half-hearted Batmobile concept, only not nearly as cool. Most appealing part of this car is the front subframe. First gen Camaros were one of GM's styling high-points, though.

'66 Toro? Absolutely, though again, GM saw fit to beat it about the face with the ugly club as the years wore on.

'09 Solstice? Looks okay, if you're into the bloated jellybean look. I'd have to give props to the G8 (or even the Buick Lacrosse) before I'd even consider the Solstice, appearance-wise. This one seems like the kind of additon you'd make when "It's 4:55, I'm out in five minutes, and I have to come up with one more entry for the list.... uh... Pontiac Solstice? Yeah. Done. I'm off to the bar!"

I also have to agree with the complete lack of any Cadillac models on the list. :D

Edited by Michigan Madman

Gotta agree with the Vette and Riv, but I'd expand that to cover that whole generation of both lines. I half agree with number 5 though, I thought the Saturn Sky was better looking than the Solstice IMHO. Don't care much for the Camaro or Tornado though, the '71-'95 G-Vans and '67-'72 Chevrolet pick ups would have been a better choice than those two.

Interesting list. I agree with the Corvette. '63 Split Window 'Vette is one of my favorites. That really might belong to Top 5 Material.

I like Riviera Body Shapes very much, but I think that it's not Top 5 Material. Very cool car, yes, but I can find many cars which are nicer, for example '57 Corvette with Fuel Injection. Then there would be already two Corvettes, but that's just because they are nice.

'70 Chevrolet Camaro... NO, even if it's really nice car. But '69 Camaro looks better to me. That one or '68 Firebird would be better on that '70 Camaro's place.

'66 Oldsmobile Toronado.... NO. Not my favorite cars, of course that '66 Year Model is much better than those newer Toronados, but anyway that doesn't fit inside the Top 5 List. For Example Buick GSX would be better choice.

Pontiac Solstice Coupe... NEVER! Very ugly car in my opinion. Really terrible body design, looks like typical new car: Too Much Plastic and ugly body shaping. Maybe an owner of 1:1 Pontiac Solstice Coupe has made that list, that's the only reason why I can see it there. :lol: Well, seriously, better choice would've been for example '87 Buick GNX.

BUT I wonder, where are:

-'68 Impala SS

-'60 Chevy Impala HT

-'59 Chevy Impala HT

-'58 Impala

-'72 Chevelle (Yep, much cooler than 1970).

-'74 Chevelle

-'53 Chevrolet Bel Air

-Chevy Coupes from '40 to '48.

-Tri Five Chevrolets

-'69 Nova SS

-'72 Pontiac LeMans

This could keep going and going, but there are a few. And yep, it's My Opinion. B)

Chuck is right: The '67 Corvette trumps the '63. Less extraneous trim, and an unobstructed view out the rear window. The side vents actually do something and look better than the first style doing it!

The 1963 Riviera was supposed to have the concealed headlights that debuted on the car in 1965, but GM didn't have the technology to build them yet. The '65 wins out over the '63 in my opinion... and Andy's too.

The 1966 Toronado is a modern classic and fully deserves to be on this list. Period.

I'm going out on a limb here and risking being strung up as a heretic, but I've always preferred the sleeker, smoother lines of the 1970-73 Camaro over the derivitive, Mustang "Me Too" sort of styling of the 1967-69 Camaros (although the Camaros DID look lots better than the Mustangs!) It doesn't matter to me whether the 1970-73 Camaro has the standard styling or the optional Rally Sport trim package (the "Split Bumper" cars), I like 'em both!

Which brings us to the Solstice. OK, someone tell me, just what was that clown thinking when he included THAT on the list of top-5 GM cars of the last 50 years? Really? The Solstice is a great entry level sports car, outdoing the Miata in every possible way, but good looking? Not really. My hat's off to Austin for mentioning the Corvair before I found this thread and could mention it myself. ANY list of the best looking cars from GM HAS TO include the 1965-69 Corvair. That's not just my personal prejudice talking. I was at a car show yesterday and several people noticed the Corvair T-shirt I was wearing and commented to me how (Good-looking, pretty, stylish, sporty-looking, take your choice) the car was... Even folks in the Corvette and Mustang displays. 'Nuff said.

I Don't know if it's poeple feel that I'm trying to take over their thread,s as an e-mail I got from one of the Forum members, but if that is what is happening, II Apoligize , Because that is Far From what I want to doI I have been trying to share things I Know with everyone, but I Never wanted to Try to act like I Knew more than everyone else! I have learned a lot from you guys over the the years I have been on this Forum!

To get back on Topic! My list would be as follows:

1: the 671/2 Camaro RS/SS Z28 it had a great look combinning element from the Great Sports Racers of the 50's and early 60's with it's own agressive styling and feel. That 302ci engine was a high reving marvel with a sound like no other, and suprise It actually handled great on curves!

2: The 63 split window, That devider was actually there to give the car more stiffness so they didn't have to have a heavier frame, to save weight for the racers. The 63 also had an independant rear suspenion!

3:The 61 Impala SS409 I loved the Look of that Bubble Top. The Wrote Songs about It!

4: The 63 Riv.

5: The 69 Camaro RS/SS Z28, a great looking car and the last of the true Z28's

Bu like others have said this list is just my opinion and other people have their own that are just as Valid as mine!

Edited by Tom Setzer

I'd include the last Riviera, like '99. It may be too bland for some tastes, but I always thought the lines were strikingly clean, flowing and elegant, that it could easily have been a Jaguar visually, and that it was as good as anything Pininfarina turned out, though not as flashy.

Certainly NOT the Solstice, which I always dismissed as a disjointed collection of styling gimmicks.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

What, no Pontiac Aztek? No 77 Cutlass 4 door humpback? No 84 Caprice Estate Wagon? :D

I agree that the Camaro and Solstice do NOT belong on the list and would take a 67 Vette over a 63. Where are the Cadillacs and Buicks of the 50's?

Luckily I missed the '77 Cutlass , and all those other '76 - '77 beauties , due to service overseas . First time I saw one in the early 80's I had no idea what the heck it was !

I would definitely include the '65 - '69 Corvair on my list .