Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Thanks Randy!

I appreciate it, Darryl. I'm working on a trans tunnel for it, too. That one's proving to be a bit of a bugger because there's no real consistent way to bend it and this stuff is thin enough it doesn't take much to distort it...

Thank you, Brad. More to come!

Hey Joe. Thanks for the kind words. Dedication is one word; commitment is another; nutso is probably the closest to what fits, though. LOL

Thank you, so much, Buzz. I hope you continue to find things that are a benefit.

Thanks Danno. Much appreciated.

Thanks for looking in, Rick. I'm sort of amazed, myself, that it's turned out looking as good as it does. Still - it's one step at a time.

Thank you very much, Steve.

Here are some updates. I spent this afternoon working on adding frame rail material to a new PE structural member that fits the trunk floor. I added a piece of styrene at the rear to add much-needed structural integrity.

trunkstructureandseat002_zpsaa5e9209.jpg

The frame will be painted separate from the pan so is being kept separate for the time being.

trunkstructureandseat005_zps89b0f11e.jpg

I also did a bit of fine fitting one of the long diagonals that ties into the rear of the frame by extending the slot in the in the bulkhead between the tubs so the diagonal intersects the frame.

trunkstructureandseat001_zps261e1a6e.jpg

I'm hoping to get started on putting together a safety harness so had to cut slots into the seat to prep for that assembly.

trunkstructureandseat003_zps0c664dbf.jpg

Comments welcome!

Thanks Tyrone. Given the quality and quantity of work you do, that means a lot!

Hey Fred. Thanks for the kind words. 95% of the cage/frame work on this is .078/.080-ish. The diagonal bars from the main hoop cross member to the top of the four link are .060 Plastruct. The small gussets from the main hoop to halo bar are .050 Plastruct. The rear diagonals that will run into the trunk from the main hoop are .063 aluminum tube.

Thanks, so much, Chris. Looking forward to seeing more updates on your Army car...

Thanks Romell. I've got all kinds of ideas about what I want to do with this build. Just a matter of time seeing how well I can execute them... To answer your question, I am working on both a 1/16th scale Frontrunner as well as Pro Mod slicks, both of which are intended to fit Jim's MicroNitro wheels.

Thanks for the kind words, Bradley. I appreciate the encouragement...

Thanks Mike. That's what I'm shooting for... :)

I appreciate your encouragement, Jason. I like your Mustang build you've currently got going. Here's to hoping you put a Ford power plant in it...

Thanks Bill. Lord willing, I'm planning to be there. I sent my check for table rent in. I'm looking forward to being there. Got lots of new stuff since last year!

Thanks Mike. That's what I'm shooting for... :)

I appreciate your encouragement, Jason. I like your Mustang build you've currently got going. Here's to hoping you put a Ford power plant in it...

Thanks Bill. Lord willing, I'm planning to be there. I sent my check for table rent in. I'm looking forward to being there. Got lots of new stuff since last year!

good cause i have a list ready

Hey guys (and gals),

Time for an update. Lots to report. I got one step closer to finishing the roll cage tonight. Got the diagonal bars into the trunk area fitted to the chassis and tied into the X bar that goes from the main hoop to the top of the shock mounts.

dollandchassispics013_zps483910ec.jpg

Different angle

dollandchassispics011_zpsb2713e02.jpg

Forgot last time I posted pics of the rear diagonal work - this is what I did to positively locate the rear frame rail tubing to allow removal while fitting everything else.

dollandchassispics009_zps475da1e7.jpg

And here's the cage out of the car

dollandchassispics014_zps428e432e.jpg

Also started repair work on the front frame rails. As you may recall, I dropped the chassis several months ago and popped two cross members out of it and broke the passenger side top strut mount. Finally got a new cross member installed tonight. I'm going to extend the chassis forward, slightly, to fit the radiator, which is why there are some stubs forward of the cross member.

dollandchassispics012_zps42bb0b8f.jpg

The last thing to report for now is that I got a PE template made the last time I placed an order so I could drill my rear wheels for rim screws. I know it's old school, but my mind is still in the 70s and 80s. LOL The wheels will have rim screws on both front and rear sides.

dollandchassispics017_zpsa39df5ab.jpg

dollandchassispics016_zps4e96794f.jpg

dollandchassispics015_zpsef6e48dc.jpg

dollandchassispics018_zps6189b977.jpg