Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Looking at pictures of bone stock Fairmonts, I've always been kinda meh... Never really thought it was anything fantastic. But seeing this version of one has completely opened my eyes! This is an awesome looking ride! Your attention to detail and overall build quality if simply awesome. I love what you're doing with this one. Can't believe I haven't commented on it yet! Seriously great work so far Scott!

Hi Buzz. Thanks! I keep getting off-track for a variety of reasons (fingers in too many pies), then having to get myself back into the swing of things.

Thank you, so much, Edgar!

Hey Stan! Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

Thanks, so much, Andy. Be patient and, Lord willing, there will be a lot more to come. More suspension detail, front and rear; brake and fuel lines, hopefully some electrical, multi-media detailed engine/trans, a new multi-media steering wheel kit that I'll be coming out with before too much longer, tin work detailing and some more cockpit pieces.

Dennis - The slicks I'm using are some of what I sell on my Futurattraction website. They are comparable in size to the big Revell slicks, but are one piece, made of soft urethane rubber, and have no mold line in the tread. They look great, feel very realistic and because the tread is smooth, they prep very easily. Take a look at 'em! :)

Edited by futurattraction

• 1 month later...

I reached a bit of a milestone last night. I finally was able to complete repairs on the broken passenger side strut mount, got the gusset added, and actually have the car so it sets on all fours for the first time.

I'm using Beadalon crimp tubes (necklace-making item) which serves as the bushing inside the upper strut mount. For the moment, I've got a straight-pin holding everything together up-top, with it extending down through the strut and lower A-arm wishbone mount. I added tubing back at the firewall to tie the top of the upper strut tube into the frame rail, which you can see in this pic. It keeps the rear of the resin "tin work" from floating and makes the front end assembly much more rigid.

Fairmont%20and%20parts%20pics%20052515%2

Head-on shot

Head-on low-angle

Same angle as pic 1 with the tin work setting in place

Passenger side angle

57ce4508-c2fd-43ed-a405-5eedabbc3390_zps

Angle from other side

Comments welcome!

Scott.... it is great to see you back on this build. Man that is sure some nice work on that front end. What a huge moment to have it sitting on all 4's I know the feeling you are having right now and its a big milestone. Keep up the great work and I am already looking forward to the next update.

Thanks again for doing this Scott. I've been collecting the parts and necessary skills to complete a resin build I've had for a couple of years. I've assembled the engine but have been hesitant to start on the chassis work. This helps immensely. Btw, a few of those parts came from Futurattraction.