Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where did you build when you were a kid

I guess I'm feeling a bit nostalgic tonight. I used the living room coffee table. My dad bought me the plastic Testors paint sheet that comes in the paint kits and a lot of tube glue and disposable exacto knives. Mom always let me leave my kit I was working on in the living room so I didn't have to move parts that were still drying. I guess one has to get a bit older to realize how supportive or parents were and we didn't even know it.

I was allowed to build at the kitchen table. My parents were pretty supportive. What really got me into modeling was a wrecker my dad had on his dresser for the longest time. Don't know anything about it, guessing it was a Revell kit. Can't remember if it was a Pete or a Kenworth, but it was VERY well detailed. I was ALWAYS messing with it. LOL One year my mom asked what I wanted for Christmas, I said MODELS, Semi's and Lamborghini's. I ended up opening an AMT Kenworth T600A and a Testors Lamborghini Countach 25th anniversary. I sat at that table for 2 days straight and built that Lambo. Was REALLY proud of myself, it was the firt model I ever built that didn't turn out to be a glue bomb. Never did finish the KW.

In my room till I was about 15. Then I got the whole basement to myself! We had a finished basement with a pool table, and I'd put a 4x8 sheet of plywood over it and I was in HEAVEN!!!! This lasted till I left for the service, and when I got home, my wife had us a two bedroom apt. ready, and she was cool with my models. Always has been. :D;)

Guest Johnny

Had a homemade kids table in my room that worked great when I sat on my bed.(no frame, springs and matress on floor like most hippies :lol: )

Painted bodies in the dirt floored limestone walled basement with an old GE desk fan pulling the fumes out.(and the house didn't blow up or burn down either :P )

I built my models on the floor, on my bed or anywhere untill my parents bought me an old wooden desk at a second hand store. It was placed in the corner of my bed room, yeah I had my own room. The desk was the kind with three drawers on each side and a long one in the middle. I had a spare parts drawer, then two, three and eventually all of them were full of parts and models that didn't quite make it to the shelf. :lol: This was my little world for years.

in my bedroom, on a cheap table i found in the trash,, run outside spray paint the body tell paint was dripping off it,,

and back to my room to finish my finger printed glue bomb that i was so Proud of, cause i built it myself,,,,I've gotten a little

better at it over the last fifty years.........

When we lived on Long Island, I built on an old dining room table in the basement. After we we moved to Florida I built at my desk in my room. Mom got me a big desk blotter so I wouldn't damage the finish. I still did, but my Dad had my back. "He's a kid! Screwed up furniture is all part of having children. Deal with it!"

I built in my room, on my old homework desk. I had a couple of shelves where I lined up some of the builds. I do remember about those days that I would buy one kit at a time. Build it, then go out and get another.

Nostalgia is wonderful food for the imagination and creativity. LONG LIVE STYRENE.

Though it's been in a few diffferent buildings over the years, I'm still using my ancient gray Glob-Wernicke metal office desk. Back when I first started out it was my mom's, but she let me have it when she got a newer desk a few years back.

Now, I also have the desk she replaced the G-W with, and do some work using that one (it's upstairs- Led Hornet was born on that one), but the G-W stays downstairs because even empty it weighs about as much as a Volkswagen, and it is still my main workbench.

I had a desk in my room to build on from the time I was 8 when I started. Spray paint was done outside on the side porch .. really just a concrete step. There were shelves on two walls filled with ships, armor and cars. The ceiling had planes hanging from thread. The cars gradually moved the ships "out to sea" .. for good!

Edited by Foxer

My parents didn't want me building in the house, so they bought a small Caribbean island for me where I could build on the weekends. That way I could leave out my "mess" and not have to clean it up every time. However, eventually they got tired of paying the airfare back and forth, so I had to give up model building for a while (until I grew up and got a house of my own).

I was able to build on the kitchen table in the evenings and weekend when it wasn't mealtime. I had to box up my builds and move them into the bedroom every time I was done. Tried to get a corner of the basement but Dad didn't think the fumes would be a good mix near the pilot lights of the dryer, hot water heater and furnace!

Once I was married and got back into building I have had my own desk either in the basement or spare room and a paint area in the garage.

I remember boring my Mom with all of the details I was trying to add to my models back in the day and her getting mad at me for taking her emory boards and thread for detailing!

We had an uninsulated cedarwood conservatory on the back of the house that me & my sisters used as our playroom. I had to share an old dining table that I had apparently been told to always put newspaper on to protect the surface (which I will deny to my dying day :unsure: - boy did I cop it when the knife, glue & paint marks were discovered).

When I first started out , I used Dad's old desk in the basement . Eventually , as the house was remodeled , we ended up with our own area in the basement under the new addition .

My brothers and I , along with our buddies , built there for years . My parents and relatives all encouraged us , showering us with kits on birthdays and at Christmas . It was a great way to grow up , would not have changed one minute of it !

Dining room table at the family house in Ohio until I was 12...then I split time building in my bedroom in our Florida house during the school year and my bedroom in the Ohio house during the summers. My folks eventually had an heated/air conditioned outbuilding constructed, about 800sq ft and I'd build there during summers and later when I'd visit from college. I still have a bunch of models and diecast there that I need to move out.

Edited by Rob Hall

I built on the same workbench as nowadays. Good place to build models, much Natural light, and if needed-good lights too. I've been happy with that Workbench since I started building on it... Or now it could be a bit bigger... ;)

my parents were very supportive and i built all over the house.now that i'm 56-married-5 daughters-and 9 grandkids,we have a large house and i have 3 rooms that i use.i have about 1,100 kits and 1 room for building & 2 to keep for kits / supplies <warehouse> and i paint in the garage with a paintbooth and build more than ever-love it.!!!