Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tough Decision

My family owns some land up north and it has been a storage ground for everyone in the family my uncle was storing a old 70's COE freightliner there. He past away a few years ago I don't know a whole lot about the truck. Well other members in the family want it gone. Long story short it's my truck. Even though I haven't driven it in years and never legally I was only on logging roads. I want to keep it. is there a fan base for these old trucks? Enough of a base where I'd be able were I could get parts to restore it. I was up there this past weekend and it turns over and runs after a little working on it and changed fluids and stuff. I have no clue about the rest of the tractor other then the air pressure wouldn't come up. I really want to do this so any help or info will help

Sounds like it's too new to be collectible, it's just a used truck.

So you have to decide whether the time and $$$$ you'll have to spend on it is worth it to you. And if you do spend the time and money to fix it up, then the question becomes what are you going to do with it? Where are you going to park it? How are you going to be able to drive it every now and then to keep it in running order if you don't have a CDL? What about insurance?

Lots of stuff to think about. If it was me I'd sell it as is and be done with it.

I will grab a couple of the one I want to restore next time I go up but I do have a picture of his other one that we are getting rid of wweeeeelllll once we remove the tree growing in the middle of itDSC06487.jpg I call this piece of art called a tree grows in freightlinerDSC06486.jpg

Edited by mnwildpunk

How are you going to be able to drive it every now and then to keep it in running order if you don't have a CDL? What about insurance?

If you are not using the truck commercially, just transporting it to shows, cruising around town, etc you don't need a CDL. You can tag and insure it as a private vehicle also. If it's over 30 years old most states have an option to tag it as an antique.

PS, It would make a cool motor home ...

spaceout.gif

photo_images_75_7558_AZ-TT-565H_1.jpg

or camper hauler ...

king_of_the_road_frtlnr_fld_camper_az_07-08.jpg

Edited by old-hermit

If your going to restore the other cabover, it would be wise to hang on to the tree growing Freightliner as there may be a lot of parts you can use and those trucks are not easy to find to get parts from nowadays!