Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '49 Merc

VW Dave

For a varation on that Cad mill, swap in the CADILLAC block letter valve covers from the AMT '59 El Camino. That would make a nice "period piece" addition.

Anybody out there in resin land do a set of Cadillac italic script valve covers?

Thanks!

On the no name valve covers...for a period look, it is just as correct.

Now a question. Since this engine seems to be based on the 59 Eldorado one, what is the Caddy engine in the Revell Parts Pack? It looks similar but also looks as if it's an earlier engine.

Mark, Good point on the no-name chrome valve covers.

As for the engines, I believe the Parts Pack version is an early '50s 331ci while the Eldo is a 390ci. Externally I believe they have the same dimensions. I eyeballed the fit of the parts pack 4x2 & 6x2 log intakes and it looks like they will fit with only a little material added to where they mount to the heads. The Merc kit's engine also has 3-port heads, so swapping of the headers should work too.

Edited by Matt T.

Altered States does. Here it is on the Revell Parts Pack Caddy engine. I think Ken Hart (khart) has contact info for them.

Thanks Matt. I just visited their web site. No mention whatsoever of these valve covers!!! Maybe Ken knows something about that.

Ken, can you assist?

Edited by larrygre

My Thoughts I just went over my kit I picked up Thursday and compared it to the AMT kit and the Revell offering is noticably

longer and wider body but has the same wheelbase. While I like the new kit I still feel the old AMT kit still has its place. and I am thinking about a 312 T-bird special for a powerplant or an FE.

I was a little surprised to see that Revell chose to put a later model Cad motor/trans combo in instead of just molding their excellent Cad parts pack motor in white (with the usual chrome dress up parts) & put it in, it would be a little more contemporary.

Is it just my eyes or do the whitewall inserts not fit into the tires completely. They

look like the stick out a bit.

ff

I also noticed the whitewall issue on mine. Mind you, it was a quick mockup just for ideas, but I really tried to push those inserts further into the tires and they still stuck out. When I am working on actual assembly I will just sand down the backside so they fit better. otherwise, I love this kit so far! Placement of the parting lines on the body was a little tricky to remove, but they are so faint it really didn't take much work.

I finally got my hands on one of these kits yesterday. Revell has done a really nice job on this kit, even if there are a couple items I could take issue with. It's hard to gripe about the kit though, given the number of parts and options, and how clean the body and other parts are. I already have a wheel and tire swap planned, as well as a cool engine swap, and it appears the kit will lend itself well to all sorts of mods.

• 2 months later...
I picked up my first copy of the new Merc kit earlier this week, and Matt T. requested a few pics of the kit's innards. I may have missed one of the small parts trees and the tires(2 full sets to choose from in this kit), but the rest should all be there.

DSCN2319_edited-vi.jpg

http://LOOKIE HERE

Hi, All.

Two weeks ago, I read a great post on the forum, but can't find it now. The gent that posted had added .050" to the windshield posts (A pillars) and corrected the chop, resulting in a correct "teardrop". Please direct me to that thread, anyone? I got a Revell '49 Merc, but MUST make that correction! Thanks...

Hi, All.

Two weeks ago, I read a great post on the forum, but can't find it now. The gent that posted had added .050" to the windshield posts (A pillars) and corrected the chop, resulting in a correct "teardrop". Please direct me to that thread, anyone? I got a Revell '49 Merc, but MUST make that correction! Thanks...

Mike here ya go..............

Click Here.........

Looks like a GREAT tutorial------I may have to try that myself when I get around to building mine! :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've seen chopped Mercs with and without the rain gutter. I'd say it's a matter of personal taste. If you don't like it, sand it off, shouldn't be too hard to do. I like the fact that Revell did mold it, since that does give the builder the choice. It's easier to sand one off that's there, then to add one on that isn't.

• 3 years later...

It too is definitely one of my favorite kits, and I must have built quite a few of them. I keep returning to it because I love the way it builds up. Like the Revell 41 Willys and the Revell 55 Chevy Belaire, it's just a real pleasure to build it time and again.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that, now that you mention it. In fact, my local shop never even stocked them until the second run (when they came in the standard-size Revell box). He said everybody who wanted one had already picked them up at Walmart, so he wasn't going to bother to stock them at the time.

• 7 months later...

Every time I break open of these kits I wonder how long before they stop putting it out and then what would happen to the price? I would love to hear sales figures on this kit alone. I sure do hope Revell will continue to go down this high-quality road with their new kits.

Doc, you sure are right. I am in the middle of building this kit and picked up another at Hobby Lobby today with the 40 % coupon. I already have the next one planned in my mind. The trouble is that my mind can plan out models my hands just can't create. Doesn't stop me from trying.