Model Cars Magazine Forum
VW Dave

Revell '49 Merc

11 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

I think this photo shows that except for the chop, the dimensions are pretty close between the two kits and that the Revell is not sectioned.

2v2Hrp8zzximYT.jpg

What do each measure from the bottom of the rockers to the top of the door?

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

What do each measure from the bottom of the rockers to the top of the door?

I measured them with a caliper and the measurements are virtually identical - 36mm

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

I think this photo shows that except for the chop, the dimensions are pretty close between the two kits and that the Revell is not sectioned

Agreed. I incorrectly assumed the Revell body was sectioned, but it simply has the bodyside trim shaved/removed.

If you've seen my work over the years (the little there is of it), you'll notice that there isn't a great deal of body modifications going on. It's not my bag. I don't enjoy it. I've ruined a fair number of bodys over the years, attempting it. And because of that the Revell Merc is an absolute favorite of mine. Most of the bullet points mentioned as a detractor, I rather like. The kit goes together VERY nicely, has great detail and looks great right from the box. I'm glad that we have both kit versions of this car, that way there is something for everyone's taste.

57 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

If you've seen my work over the years (the little there is of it), you'll notice that there isn't a great deal of body modifications going on. It's not my bag. I don't enjoy it. I've ruined a fair number of bodys over the years, attempting it. And because of that the Revell Merc is an absolute favorite of mine. Most of the bullet points mentioned as a detractor, I rather like. The kit goes together VERY nicely, has great detail and looks great right from the box. I'm glad that we have both kit versions of this car, that way there is something for everyone's taste.

I totally agree with you. I am glad the air has been sort of cleared in regard to the Revell '49 Merc. I kind of see it in the same light as the Foose Cadillac which produces a cool custom out of the box, a canvas for additional modification or a source of interesting parts for other projects.

1 hour ago, Jantrix said:

44 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

I totally agree with you. I am glad the air has been sort of cleared in regard to the Revell '49 Merc. I kind of see it in the same light as the Foose Cadillac which produces a cool custom out of the box, a canvas for additional modification or a source of interesting parts for other projects.

Yes, I agree with all that. 

One of my favorite kits ever. What I love about the Revell kit, (in addition to how well everything fits together) is the historical accuracy. The Caddy hub caps, the grille and bumper options, the Caddy engine, etc are all what would have gone into a custom sled back in the 50's. The custom wheels and motor from the AMT kit are more super stock or street machine than custom sled style. I think the french on the head lights is a little too deep, but that is easily fixable. I built the kit right out of the box without having to change wheels, engines, etc. That is the first time that's happened since I built the original General Lee Charger back in 5th grade.... I might be exaggerating a little with that last remark, but you get the idea.

Edited by RT6PK