Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Touring 70 1/2 Camaro *First post here*

ll Brandon ll

Your workmanship on the frame looks great, especially for a first effort.

One thing I'd consider reviewing is the width of the front rails. They're a bit wide and will provide plenty of room for your motor, but will push the front suspension pickup points outward. This will create problems trying to have enough room for suspension links and for the tires to steer without having them way outside the fenders.

Your workmanship on the frame looks great, especially for a first effort.

One thing I'd consider reviewing is the width of the front rails. They're a bit wide and will provide plenty of room for your motor, but will push the front suspension pickup points outward. This will create problems trying to have enough room for suspension links and for the tires to steer without having them way outside the fenders.

I agree. And by considering this, I think you should consider decrease the width of the front wheels as well.

Congrats for the build. Very nice so far!

I see what you guys are saying, but the chassis was designed with several factors in mind, header clearance, wheel clearance (BIG meat front and rear) and aesthetics. As for the wheel width, I appreciate it, but Im going for a specific look here and thinning out the front wheels wouldnt really fit what I was doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, small update. Got the suspension mostly done. I still need to sand some things down, do the filler work on the frame, and add a torsion rod to the rear. The wheels are not glued on as I have all the paint work to do, so thats why they sit kinda weird. Im now in the process of staring the interior work. The plan is to do a functional, but nice looking, interior. Stripped, but still daily and show worthy. No back seats, all panels, and a roll cage. Does anyone know the recommended rod size for roll cages? Also, I did manage to find a ZR1 Corvette to gank the supercharged LS9, so it will officially be getting around a 650HP powerplant, HEHE! As usual, comments and criticism is welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

stp61239.jpg

stp61241.jpg

stp61245.jpg

stp61246.jpg

stp61250.jpg

stp61232.jpg

stp61238.jpg

This is looking great. If I may, might I make a suggestion? Since you need some sort of front spring, why not put airbags in there? Also, instead of a panhard bar in the back, step up to a four link and air bags there as well. It would fit really well with your protouring theme here...and you wouldn't really have to undo any of your work for it.

Edited by Skydime

I didnt consider doing airbags, I have a set of coilovers Ive made for the rear and I plan to add some springs to the front, but I do have some small rubber boots I pulled out of a PC that would make cool airbags. I might have to try that out. Im still toying with making the rear a 4 link, I havent decided yet. Thanks for the input!

wowowowowowowowowowow looks great!!!! what size frame stock is that?

Thanks! It was .080 x .156 rod #167 (2.0mm x 4.0mm)

This is looking great. If I may, might I make a suggestion? Since you need some sort of front spring, why not put airbags in there? Also, instead of a panhard bar in the back, step up to a four link and air bags there as well. It would fit really well with your protouring theme here...and you wouldn't really have to undo any of your work for it.

I agree, you have a great start! I wish I could build a chassis like that! Great Job!