Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "NAKED" Styrene CBP

Dr. Cranky

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you want to cover decals, Joe, I'm not sure (gloss) clearcoating will contribute anything. It's been too long for me to remember specifics but my thought upon polishing the plastic is I couldn't do better with coatings, partly because the plastic is flawlessly smooth right into recessed areas. The part I don't remember is whether it makes the plastic color appear richer. Maybe someone else can elaborate. Either way, the plastic wouldn't really be naked if you're polishing a coating.

It seals in the freshness :lol: . Just make sure you're completely confident it's not lacquer. I've seen some clears that don't indicate what it is.

I've got a 69 Vette in Revell orange styrene. There are no swirls or mold lines showing. So, I shot it in Testors One Coat "Wet Look". I didn't have any issues.

Doc, can I post a previously built unpainted model?

Sure, Mike, eye candy is eye candy. By all means.

We doing WIP pics on this or just finished shots? (not that I've made any progress yet. Lol)

Joe, both, you can post previous finished builds, and you can also do in progress. That's fine.

NOTE: About how "naked" your naked styrene should be, and this includes using clear coats.

I would say if you are sealing in decals that is fine, but normally, I think the trick behind this CPB is to leave the styrene (the body only) in the raw but POLISHED, BUFFED, scrubbed with NOVUS type products, which is fine.

Ya know, I don't know if this will be correct but I added a couple drops of flat black in a bottle of thinner and sprayed it over the rust and body to take off the shine from the plastic and the rust. I used Sophisticated Finishes rusting process and the rust had some shine to it and I wanted to get rid of that and that's the reason I sprayed over the whole body. Anyway, here is a pic of the car. Most of ya have seen it before, it's muh 49 Ford coupe that I restored from a glue bomb that it was.

49Ford3z17.jpg

The color of the car is the bare plastic by the way. I hope this is Ok, if not I'll remove the pic. :) Dan

hey doc iam in, iam entering the 1950 chevy texaco truck iam building. i just uploaded my video about it on youtube. my channel is modelbuilder22 if you wana keep with the build. the only thing that gets painted is the tire fenders is that ok or not? if not i can just leave the fenders alone. I'd figured since the texaco truck is white it would be perfect for this. btw this is my first community build. if you wana watch the video wait till later today as for some reason it takes a while to upload to youtube on my phone. i all ready have one video up on the channel about the truck. Thanks doc for all your tips on model building

OK, I'm finally going to post my completed "Naked" build. I did this one on commission for a guy who can't build any more due to arthritis. It's an original issue Monogram 1934 Dusenberg SJ Slot-Car kit, originally released (If I recall what he said) in 1964. And the kicker was, he wanted it built as if I was back in 1964. Heck, I was born in December of 1963, I would have probably ate half the parts! :lol:

What he meant was, no decals (They were worthless anyhow), no mold line removal (They were minimal, why can't they do that today?), and no fixing of any flaws in the kit. He wouldn't even allow me to clean up the parts when I removed them from the sprues, so I worked very carefully, and it came out nicely, even without painting!

Being that the customer is always right, I built it the way he wanted, but begged him to let me polish the plastic, and paint the driver's goggles, visor, and the plate he sits on, so he allowed that much. This kit went together beautifully, and Robert was extremely happy with it when I delivered it to him,. He took it for one lap around his track, then put it in his display case, never to be driven again!

1934DusenbergSJ0001-vi.jpg

1934DusenbergSJ0040-vi.jpg

1934DusenbergSJ0046-vi.jpg

1934DusenbergSJ0049-vi.jpg

1934DusenbergSJ0055-vi.jpg

1934DusenbergSJ0060-vi.jpg

1934DusenbergSJ0062-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

• 3 weeks later...