MPC WWII Jeep

104 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I hadn't seen nor heard of this one, but it looks like Round2 is just about to reissue (Tower Hobbies lists it as a late August release) the MPC World War II Jeep kit, like so:

Posted · Report post

That's the kit that was later re-issued as the Hogan's Heroes Jeep.

amt31752.jpg

It's a great kit!!

B)

Posted · Report post

IF it's as complete as the original, it SHOULD come with a trailer, if my memory serves me still. i have the releases that you show, but not the original release.

Posted · Report post

That jeep is very similar to the Daisy's Jeep, exception being wheels and tires and body. For a military vehicle, it is lacking the correct tires as this has the Goodyear Suburbanite snow tires.

Not a bad kit, just not very accurate.

Posted · Report post

That Jeep has been reissued several times over the years with various additional parts. Some options were a CJ2 grille, Surrey top, and off road parts. The chassis, stock wheels and tires are the same as those in the Daisy's Jeep but the engine and body are different. The WWII Jeep has the flat head four while Daisy's has an F-head four. The F-head has one valve in the head and one in the block. It was taller and required a taller hood. The main inaccuracy of both kits is the nonmilitary tires and wheels.

Posted · Report post

That's neat, that recoil-less rifle might be fun to have.

Posted · Report post

Perfect,I have been wanting to build a postal jeep (Not accurate, just similar) for a while now.

Posted · Report post

I'd prefer the "World War II JEEP" for the same reason as Fat Brian.

I like collecting reasonable looking weapons in 1/24 - 1/25 scale

Posted · Report post

That's neat, that recoil-less rifle might be fun to have.

PM me, I might still have that from one of the kits I bought.

Posted · Report post

Perfect,I have been wanting to build a postal jeep (Not accurate, just similar) for a while now.

There is a resin postal Jeep available if you do want to build one. Check with DRAG, I think Jeff Ballard at Motor City Resin has one, complete kit if I remember correctly.

Posted · Report post

The trailer would make this kit worth buying .

Posted · Report post

l bought the Hogan Heros jeep a long time ago. when Toys r us was getting out of models in the late 90's they sold the Hogan Heros jeep for 5 bucks. Still in the stash...

Posted · Report post

I think the Jeep that had the trailer was the one from the Korean war and that became the CJ5 later on. I have one of the Korean Jeeps and it has the trailer. The problem with this kit (and all of the military Jeeps) is that they have snow tires and not military tires in them. If this had the military tires I would by a few of them. I already have a few of the Jeeps and all of them have the snow tires in them. Bummer big time. :( Dan

Posted · Report post

At one time somebody was casting military tires for this kit, but I have no idea who the cater was, and since I'm 90% certain they're not in business now it would be moot anyway. If you could find some 1:35 military tires (I know, fat chance, right? B) ) they might be made to work, though you might need to widen them a little.

I'd love to see the Italeri 1:24 WWII or fire jeep reissued, but having this one back instead is really cool!

Posted · Report post

Yep, those would be the tires Casey...

I've got the Testors issue of the Italeri Willys with those tires, they are two-piece styrene though. They are yours if you want them, just let me know!

Yes, those pics are shocking and sad to us Jeepers :(

Posted · Report post

I've got the Testors issue of the Italeri Willys with those tires, they are two-piece styrene though.

These are the Italeri/Testors tires, correct?:

Now, are they accurate? Close enough? The best available? I know squat about military tires and kits/parts.

Posted · Report post

I'll go cut two halves free from the sprue and tack them together & post a pic...

I'd like to see the Hasegawa 1/24 Willys parts for comparison, anyone have one? 265.gif

Posted · Report post

Here you go...no glue or anything here, nice detail and fit. I think a liquid cement and careful sanding will yield an accurate tire!

The 4 rims intended to be mounted on the Willys have sinkmarks as seen here, but the rim for the spare looks nice?

IMG_89832.jpgIMG_89842.jpg

Posted · Report post

Note to Casey- to be 100% correct, jeep should be spelled without a capital j when referencing the military version. jeep is military, Jeep is civilian. B)

And yes, those would most certainly be the correct tires for a military version. I might have the Italeri fire jeep laying around someplace, but I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure the tires from that kit have too large an OD to work with the MPC wheels, but the Italeri wheels look better anyway.

Posted · Report post

Here is a picture of the Husagawa wheels and tires on a MPC Jeep that I built.

Nellybelle29.jpg

The Husagawa is 1/24 and the MPC is 1/25. I think they look Ok on this kit. :) Dan

Posted · Report post

Wow! Nice job on Pat Brady's Jeep!

B)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow! Nice job on Pat Brady's Jeep!

B)

X2!!!

Great job Dan, thanks for posting. That gives us a good look at the differences between the Italeri styrene tires and the Hasegawa rubber tires (which are more accurate, with the sidewall "band" that the Italeri tires do not have).

Here are reproduction Firestones from Coker tire:

NDCC

firestone-ndcc-700-15-10in-rgb_1.jpg

What does NDCC stand for?

Non Directional Cross Country. Used primarily for military vehicles, the NDCC tires have a rounded shoulder, which offers better road and highway manners than the NDT version. These tires were used by the military after World War II.

NDT

firestone-ndt-600-16-10in-rgb_5.jpg

Edited by jeffs396

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys and you're welcome Jeff. If it wasn't for the Husagawa kit I couldn't have finished "Nellybelle". I do wish that MPC or someone would make the correct wheels and tires for the military version. I would like to build some military jeeps. :) Dan

Posted · Report post

And yes, those would most certainly be the correct tires for a military version. I might have the Italeri fire jeep laying around someplace, but I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure the tires from that kit have too large an OD to work with the MPC wheels, but the Italeri wheels look better anyway.

I have a set of the Italeri jeep wheels and tires in hand, and the O.D. at the rim measures .723", x25 = 18.075", so minus 1" = a 17" wheel. Is that the correct military jeep wheel diameter?

These wheels appear to be an exact match for what's in the Italeri jeep kit:

DrJamesTait1943FordGPW.jpg

The MPC GY Suburbanite snow tires have a wheel bore I.D. of .601", x25 = 15.025", minus 1" = a 14" tire. :( I'm assuming the Hogan's Heroes jeep included some generic four-spoke steel wheels to use with the GY Suburbanite tires?