MPC WWII Jeep

104 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Casey,

The Hogan Heroes kit had the same steel wheels that have been in those jeep kits for years. They were not 4 spoke, they look similar to the ones in your post above.

Posted · Report post

The wheels in the HH Jeep are the later single peice CJ wheels, rather than the 2 peice Combat Wheels shown in Caseys pix. The 1:1 WW2 Jeeps used a 16" wheel, I beleive the early CJ2 also used a 16 until the '50s, I'll have to double check the specs on that.

Posted · Report post

I have a set of the Italeri jeep wheels and tires in hand, and the O.D. at the rim measures .723", x25 = 18.075", so minus 1" = a 17" wheel. Is that the correct military jeep wheel diameter?

Casey, the Italeri is 1/24 scale, so they are just about right @ 17.35" minus 1".

See how the spare rim doesn't have the sink marks like the other four? :huh:

Maybe cut away the outers from the front & rear rims, leaving just each hub to combine with the 'sink mark-free' spare??? Or cast the hubs independently?

Posted · Report post

Casey, the Italeri is 1/24 scale, so they are just about right @ 17.35" minus 1".

See how the spare rim doesn't have the sink marks like the other four? :huh:

Maybe cut away the outers from the front & rear rims, leaving just each hub to combine with the 'sink mark-free' spare??? Or cast the hubs independently?

You're correct, Jeff.I figured for 1/25 scale instead of 1/24. :huh: Where's that scale math topic? :lol:

I think I will cast the hubs separately. The sink marks are kind of odd. I will have to check and see if they coincide with the ejector pin marks on the backsides of each wheel.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Posted · Report post

Here are some pics of both the Italeri/Testors and Hasegawa wheels and tires:

jeepwhltires1.jpg

jeepwhltires2.jpg

Hasegawa wheel in Hasegawa rubber tire, front side:

HasHas.jpg

Hasegawa wheel in Hasegawa rubber tire, back side:

HasHas2.jpg

HasegawaJeepTire.jpg

Italeri/Testors wheel and tire:

ItalItal.jpg

ItaleriJeeptire.jpg

Posted · Report post

Well Casey, after seeing those pics, it looks like reproducing the Hasegawa parts are the way to go! Wheels look better, tires too.

They'd be perfect if the Firestone lettering were on the sidewalls :(

Posted · Report post

Just saw this one at Model Empire a few minutes ago. The box looks just like what you see in post #1, and the kit includes the surrey top, at least three guns and a shovel. Pretty much what we all expected. ^_^

Posted · Report post

hendrix resin makes a set of five military tread tires and five stock wheels for the jeep kit.the hasegawa wheels/tires are a LOT nicer though.

Posted · Report post

Just saw this one at Model Empire a few minutes ago. The box looks just like what you see in post #1, and the kit includes the surrey top, at least three guns and a shovel. Pretty much what we all expected. ^_^

Casey, did you happen to see which guns were offered in this kit? I'm looking for 1/24-25 scale firearms...

Posted · Report post

Here they are shown on the side of the box:

Posted · Report post

here are the parts from the kit

IMG_0331.jpg

Posted · Report post

I don't know what the Recoilless Rifle looks like but that .50 Cal looks a little sad.

Wagoneer81 - The weapons in the Hasegawa, Kubelwagon and Jeep kits have 1/24 machine guns and rifles. They are WWII era weapons but look good.

Posted · Report post

True but, that .50 cal has potential... I have the Kubelwagen and yes, they are good quality weapons. Two each MG34, MP40 and K98 Mausers and basic German WWII Kit. Gas Mask can, Potato masher grenades and 2 Panzerfaust. The Hase' Jeep I have only offered up a nice M1919 .30 cal machine gun... Looks like I need this kit so I can add the M1 Carbine, Thompson and M2 Browning to that collection.

Posted · Report post

An M2 Browning can be found in the Hasegawa Jeep Willys MB 2 kit#24502. Sounds like you have the other 1/24 weapons available.

Also, check out the 1/25 Sheriff Rosco's Police Car by MPC in The Dukes of Hazzard series kits. This includes the Carbine and Thompson .45 as well as an M16 and shot gun

Posted · Report post

An M2 Browning can be found in the Hasegawa Jeep Willys MB 2 kit#24502. Sounds like you have the other 1/24 weapons available.

Also, check out the 1/25 Sheriff Rosco's Police Car by MPC in The Dukes of Hazzard series kits. This includes the Carbine and Thompson .45 as well as an M16 and shot gun

Right. I have The Hase kit #24501 and it has an M1919 Browning .30 cal. Sounds like I need to aquire a #24502... Thanks for the info.

Posted · Report post

Here is the recoiless set in the back of a J10 that I did some time ago.

IMG_0010.jpg

This kit is a very old tool. I have one that I built in 1969 and rebuilt in the 90s. Depending on which issue you have the parts may be very good or very bad.

Posted · Report post

Quick question,is the kit supost to have the surrey version decals with it?Also the kit I picked up includes a version of turbine wheels,what the heck????

Posted · Report post

I have a Pre-Hogan's issue called "Bushwacker" that had Large diameter Off road tires & the Turbine like mags.

Most likely they are left over from that issue.

Until the Hogan's re-issue, I left it at the build point waiting to find "Stock"/Military tires/rims for it.

Posted · Report post

Quick question,is the kit supost to have the surrey version decals with it?Also the kit I picked up includes a version of turbine wheels,what the heck????

Yes, it does:

362.jpg

Posted · Report post

The wierd part is I only have military decals for it and I haven't found the caps it shows on the surrey version along with the back seat.I'll take pics later.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just pulled out my "Hogan's Heros" issue. It has ONE of the Custom Cone shape

Hubcaps shown for the Surrey version, but doe Not have the rear seat!!!

MPC/Round2 did not do a complete survey on the tooling.

The Custom hubcap is centered between 2 pair of the Deep-dish spoke rims from the previous

"Bushwacker" Hot-Rod Military issue There is no part number for it.

Also, the Hogan's issue does not call out part numbers on the instruction sheet

even though most parts are numbered on the sprue.

Depending on weather, I can try to get some pics of the kit.

(I take my pic's outside due to age of camera 3.1MP)

The Decal sheet DOES include the Surrey markings. so wonder why the forgot them this time.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Posted · Report post

Sorry, I assumed they were included since the box art was changed since the last (HH) issue.

The back seat is present in this newest issue, and I see one unplated wheel cover as shown on the surrey version among the parts in this YouTube review: http://youtu.be/EY_ZKTYj3g4

Posted · Report post

here are the parts from the kit

IMG_0331.jpg

IMHO that Thompson will never work

Posted (edited) · Report post

That one tree of parts is Chrome in the Hogan' Hero's issue.

Looks like the back seat is not called out in the instruction this time too,

but is there.

Yea, The second gun would more likely kill the one trying to shoot it than hit what it is aimed at!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Posted · Report post

Just wandering, i know its a different type jeep, but is this a better one than the monagram jeep. Does it go togeather better