Model Cars Magazine Forum

Slick Willys Custom '41 Willys Roadster

Doctordarryl

I also build customs. Here is a custom Willys roadster. The body was from RMR. The tires were from Modelhaus. The wheels were resin items from Scale Auto Details. The Cadillac engine was from the Revell '49 Merc kit. The paint was Bob's Candy Burgandy over Fine Silver. Headlights were from a Revell Mini kit. Tailights were turned aluminum items from Bob Dudek. The chassis was from the Revell '41 Willys street rod and lowered significantly. The body was wedge channeled over the frame to get the right rake. The front grill bar was from an AMT parts pack and was a '60 T-Bird bar that was shortened to fit tthe grill opening.

post-7848-0-51533800-1345316017_thumb.jp

Paint was Bob Dahl's Fine Silver base and Candy Burgandy color coat (which are PPG-based) with PPG Clear. All were cut with Mar-Hyde Lacquer thinner. I use an Aztek A470 airbrush. One of the tricks I learned that allows me to get a nice glossy finish without having to polish is as follows; right after applying the final clear coat, I load a paint jar with straight lacquer thinner and apply a wet coat on top of the clear BEFORE it flashes off. I know this freaks out people when I tell them but you have to try it - it really works. I hate polishing as I was often burning through the color coat and then there was lots of repair work to do. Now I don't have that problem.

post-7848-0-42653100-1345381008_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-85281300-1345381015_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-71365700-1345381023_thumb.jp

post-7848-0-43826200-1345381032_thumb.jp

Man that's BEAUTIFUL !!! You've got a fine eye for proportion and design, and the skills to bring it all together. Just beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words. I do have to give gredit where it is due. The folks at RMR designed the body and top. I "just" painted them. But the use of the Mini headlights and the shortened '60 T-Bird grill bar and of course the color choices and wheels and tires were my contributions to the model.

RMR has many great resin conversion kits and I intend building a few more. Their products are first class and affordable.

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT job !This was mastered for RMR by me, and uses the R/MProwler windshield, and R/M Mini Cooper headlights, and utilizes the Revell 41 Willys street rod kit. The wheel wells have all been filled in and re shaped, the hood was pie cut, nose laid back, then molded in and a new hood cut out. It also includes an interior and a dash....'Z'