Model Cars Magazine Forum

American LaFrance Fire Pumper

This kit is the Trumpeter American La France fire pumper that I built a couple of years ago. The kit was built pretty much box stock, the only addition being some mudflaps made from small sheets of thin rubber. The hardest part for me was to get a good seperation between the red and the white without any bleed through which I was pleased to have achieved quite well.

Please enjoy these pics and all comments are welcome

.179.jpg

178.jpg

173.jpg

177.jpg

172.jpg

176.jpg

175.jpg

174.jpg

Nice job, Mark! If you are looking to fill the hose bed check out a sewing shop that carries 4mm wide white elastic. It's good for synthetic hose. If you have 3M brand colored tapes, use the yellow 3/4 inch wide and fold it in 3rds. You can lay it in or stand it up, either way. If you want to see a tutorial on making hose, go to theScaleFirehouse.com and check out the tutorial section.

Nice job, Mark! If you are looking to fill the hose bed check out a sewing shop that carries 4mm wide white elastic. It's good for synthetic hose. If you have 3M brand colored tapes, use the yellow 3/4 inch wide and fold it in 3rds. You can lay it in or stand it up, either way. If you want to see a tutorial on making hose, go to theScaleFirehouse.com and check out the tutorial section.

Thanks very much for that info, I will certainly look into that. I think that a set of hoses would finish the truck off properly but was'nt sure how to go about doing it so I appreciate the help.

I just bought one of these as well, but mine will be a little tougher. someone had opened the box. swapped in wrong tires and wheels and the etched stuff is gone. got all the styrene though. Cant complain too much, paid $7 for a good base for a tool rig or something. Thinking of converting the box to a service truck. Or just swap for parts. Any takers?

Thanks again to everyone for all your comments.

Barry, I think you would be able to make this into a great looking service truck, the photo etch you could probably live without and the different wheels and tyres would'nt make too much of a difference I don't think. Being a crew cab, you could always get shot of the box, extend the chassis and make a rollback and build as a race car hauler. That was an idea I had but I'm afraid my scratch building skills are slim to zero!! Best of luck in whatever you choose to do with yours, for $7( roughly about £4 in english money, I paid £40 for mine), you have scored a bargain!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought one of these as well, but mine will be a little tougher. someone had opened the box. swapped in wrong tires and wheels and the etched stuff is gone. got all the styrene though. Cant complain too much, paid $7 for a good base for a tool rig or something. Thinking of converting the box to a service truck. Or just swap for parts. Any takers?

The PE is not really needed as all the chequer plate is molded on the only bits that you need are the hose seperaters in the back and those can be done in plasicard .Sounds like you got a great bargin .