Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any one know what the pointy thing in the back of the boat is ?

Flag stand. All boats have to have one with a flag. My buddy up in Ollcot NY on the shore of lake Ontario is a captain of a local fishing boat and once flew an AZ flag I sent him. He was stopped by the coast guard and they wanted to know why he was flying a Japanese flag on his boat. He told them it was an AZ state flag and they told him to remove it and fly a flag of NY. It is also a stern light, the round white thing. So even these small boats have to fly a local or state flag. I would love to have kits of that Chevy Suburban and that boat, pointy thing and all. Patrick

Edited by pepperdrumstix

Flag stand. All boats have to have one with a flag. My buddy up in Ollcot NY on the shore of lake Ontario is a captain of a local fishing boat and once flew an AZ flag I sent him. He was stopped by the coast guard and they wanted to know why he was flying a Japanese flag on his boat. He told them it was an AZ state flag and they told him to remove it and fly a flag of NY. It is also a stern light, the round white thing. So even these small boats have to fly a local or state flag. I would love to have kits of that Chevy Suburban and that boat, pointy thing and all. Patrick

Wierd...is that a coastal/border area thing? I can't imagine why a boat would need a flag..

Edited by Rob Hall

The " white " thing is a navigational light , required by law . The green " thing " is an out board motor . Given the size , it appears to be between a 2 1/2 to 5 hp motor .

A boat of this construction is worth a small fortune in this day and age , given the craftmanship that goes into it . Flags ? I can't vouch for too many other states , but Pa and the Tri state area do not require them for outboard water craft .

Obviously a weathervane, mounted in a humorous vein.

I agree with that. What gets me is the capstan mounted in the bow. It's the vertical cylinder with 6 spokes on top. I'm assuming that a horizontal line comes off the front, through a pulley under the stem, and up through the hook looking thing on the stem. I would think that it is anchor handling gear, but it seems kind of overkill for a boat that size.

I agree with that. What gets me is the capstan mounted in the bow. It's the vertical cylinder with 6 spokes on top. I'm assuming that a horizontal line comes off the front, through a pulley under the stem, and up through the hook looking thing on the stem. I would think that it is anchor handling gear, but it seems kind of overkill for a boat that size.

I assume the capstan is largish because it is manual, not powered.