Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scania trucks in the US?

I was headed up US-127 earlier today, when something in the southbound lane caught my eye. What caught my eye was what a P-series Scania cabover, bright red with a chrome grille, pulling an enclosed trailer. No camo or dazzle paint, no disguise of any kind- this thing was a Scania, plain as day.

I know that Scania does sell some product in the US, but I never knew they sold their trucks here. Anybody know when this happened? Or could it be a test rig? I've heard some European truck makers are trying to crack the North American market.

Yes it is a test truck there are a few running around the other one I know of is silver.Scania did try to sell heavy weights in the northeast back in the late 70s early 80s like volvo did, but neither did well. Volvo got a break by buying WhiteGMC as Mercedes did by buying Freightliner.

• 3 weeks later...

Scania sold a few trucks here in the U.S. As to numbers, I couldn't tell you.During my high school years I used to help my dad and his friend on the weekends. They used a cabover Scania log truck, wasn't anything fancy but it got the job done. They used it for everything from moving equipment to pulling out other stuck trucks. I haven't seen the old girl in several years,so if it's still running???? I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Scania's may sell here now back then they were to different they seem to make a decent product. Some of the Aussie versions I've seen pics of might fit in here with left hand drive. They were just too Euro for us then but times have changed.

Scania's may sell here now back then they were to different they seem to make a decent product. Some of the Aussie versions I've seen pics of might fit in here with left hand drive. They were just too Euro for us then but times have changed.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't Italeri make a few newer-model Scania kits? I'm guessing they'd all be RHD, but it would be a start.

no, they are all left handed kits. You have to buy aftermarket dash's to convert them to right hand drive. And 99% of the kits are single drive rears, where most of the scanias and european trucks in australia are twin rear drive.

Scania is a very popular truck here in Down Under Australia. Here in South Australia, the Metropolitan Fire Service use them as an all purpose rescue pumper fire appliance. They look great.

we have heaps up here in queensland. The firies (QFRS) have heaps of the Crew cabs as fire trucks, but now seem to be moving to the Mercs. We use 3 scania 6x4 prime movers, and 2 scania twin steer 8x4 rigid trucks at work. I love driving the scania rigids! both are very comfortable, and have the automated manual transmission, so they are easy to drive!