Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin VW stuff?

I haven't seen anybody offering resin stuff, but you can source good bits in a few places:

* The Revell Beetle kits and the Monogram 'Lil Van' buggy have nice dual carb/manifold assemblies

* I use soft aluminum rod(also called 'armature wire') for headers

I haven't seen resin wheels for wide-5 VW models, but you may wanna take a look here...make sure you're sitting down first:

http://motohashi-mww.com/

I have a set of Motohashi's excellent white metal BRMs, which are sized to fit the Tamiya kit's Continental tires:

sn3s00971.jpg

They are priced at 1800Yen for a set of 4, which www.xe.com says is currently $22.73. Shipped to the US I paid about 30 beans for the set, and they came in just a few days

He offers machined BRMs pre-painted/polished as well, for a mere 35000Yen(about $441); he told me the painting process is very tedious when I got my unpainted ones:

sn3o01132.jpg

His Centerlines are beyond amazing, but also beyond my budget: 38000Yen(about $479) He says that each wheel takes over 8 hours to fully machine, which would explain the high admission price:

SN3S0353.jpg

I have two sets of VW resin cast wheels . Stock and deep set . These are meant for Dune Buggies ? Hmmmmm . I cannot remember where I bought them . He also makes excellent Wire Wheels . I read about these in a Scale Car Magazine . Made to fit the Rouka : Alfa and Talbot post war race cars . Anyone help me here ?? Thanx ..

I have two sets of VW resin cast wheels . Stock and deep set . These are meant for Dune Buggies ? Hmmmmm . I cannot remember where I bought them .

If the stock ones are the '66-67 'open' style(with holes all around), and the deeper rears are the earlier solid ones, I'm pretty sure you got them from (un)Reliable resins. He sent me a set as a freebie once to make up for leaving me twisting in the wind, and I sent them back for 2 reasons: they were mismatched(open and solid), and the deeper ones have a nasty weld bead-looking line part way around them that must have been glue weepage on the master that was never cleaned up

If the stock ones are the '66-67 'open' style(with holes all around), and the deeper rears are the earlier solid ones, I'm pretty sure you got them from (un)Reliable resins. He sent me a set as a freebie once to make up for leaving me twisting in the wind, and I sent them back for 2 reasons: they were mismatched(open and solid), and the deeper ones have a nasty weld bead-looking line part way around them that must have been glue weepage on the master that was never cleaned up

I was way to fast on my reply . Sorry about this , I am on Dial up . Not used to such speed ??

Not quite Dave . He Photo Etches (and has since it was first tried for Model Cars) . He dabbles in resin on the side . His location is somewhere in California . Possibly Herb Deeks ? Don't trust my faulty Memory on these details . I must have bought these in the '80's - '90's decade . Thanx

Edited by dimaxion

Ron at Early Years Resins offers a very nice set of 'wide 5'(pre-'68) pattern VW wheels that can be tailored to fit any application; they come with separate centers and rims that can be trimmed to your desired depth, and he includes nice copies of the Fujimi 356 Porsche brake drums too.

http://earlyyearsres...wheelstires.htm

NewProducts007-1.jpg

NewProducts008-1.jpg

Edited by VW Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I must thank VW Dave for the tip. I already bought mine and yesterday it has arrived at home...

Man... what great wheels!!!! Gorgeous!!!

And have do mention how great guy Hideo Motohashi is!!!

KUDOS to both!!! First, of course to Hideo for such talent and kindness!

And to VW Dave for sharing!

I´m a happy modeler righ now!

• 4 months later...