Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratch build challenge entry IR Suspension pics 10/2

Randy D

Hi Folks,

I have had the pleasure of two good modelling buddies for the last twenty years. We live in the same town and get together in round robin style about once a month. Not much gets accomplished but we have a good time :D

I have been out of the loop for awhile and these sessions are good for finding your mojo. Last month we decided that we all had too many scratch 'projects' that were gathering dust on the bench. What was needed was a gentle 'push'. Of course we had to make it a contest.

Not too many rules, the other guys get to chose one of your projects sitting in a box and tell you how to finish it. Major components must be scratch. Done by Christmas.

My project is to build something like this...

Photo credit to Eric Geisert, cover of Street Rod mag

001-93.jpg

The starting point. for this project is a Detroit Desiel motor that I had begun awhile back for a 1/35th armor model. This is what I was trying to build...

082.jpg

030-10.jpg

more....

Edited by Randy D

Hi Folks,

Thanks Bill!!

Hi Chuck, Appreciate the kind words.

Thank you Joe!

Hi Bill, Thanks, not as cool as your metal engine :)

Hi Mike, Thank you, at least it's not 1/87th like most of my train stuff :D

Hi Mark, Thank you for commenting!

Ray, Thanks!

More pics,

007-59.jpg

001-80.jpg

more.....

Great! I've been opening my eyes to what's possible when you start throwing chunks of raw plastic at each other over the last year. It's amazing what you can make happen when you break things down to each individual aspect of a given part, then sort out in your head how to get it to come together.

You are the Master Builder, Randy! I always like to see your builds. And every time I see scratchbuilding, I have to take my hatt off (even if I don't have one....). Your engine looks fantastic so far, can't wait to see more work. Oh yes, and the 1:1 looks..... Well, different.... :lol: