Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE "ROY MUNSON" 72 OLDSMOBILE CONVERTIBLE

bryan_m

ok fellas, i know you think im nutsm but this build(s) has been in the works for the last few years, and now that the kit is out i have to build two of them, one for my Brother, and one for myself.

this is the car driven by by Woody harrelson in the movie "kingpin", one of my fave movies of all time........very funny!! its a 1972 oldsmobile cutlass convertible, but it is all beat to hell and back!

here are a few shots from the movie, i have plenty more of these coming tomorrow....

MunsonOldsmobileLeftSide.jpg

MunsonOldsmobileRippedRoof-InteriorExample.jpg

MunsonOldsmobileInterior1.jpg

this car is definetely beat down! in the beginning of the movie, he has the car, and its brand new, and much like his life it all goes down hill!! LOL

stay tuned

more to come

bryan

the kit itself is very nice! the parts a extra crisp and have alot of detail!

heres a few shots of the kit parts....

munson003.jpg

munson006.jpg

munson005.jpg

munson004.jpg

ok guys, its time to start cleanin up some parts, and doing some sub assemblies!

thanks for lookin, stay tuned!

cheers

bryan

Cool project Bryan. Good luck finishing this one my friend.

Thank Ray!

they will get finished, ive been waiting forever to do them, and im really fired about about these two builds.

if you`ve never seen "Kingpin" go rent it! its pretty darn funny. It stars, Woody Harrelson, Randy Quaid,and Bill Murray.

heres the IMDB link : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116778/

thanks again!

bryan

so ive drilled out the trunk lock cylinder, in the movie it is missing.......i believe i might stick a screw driver in there, but i want to stay as close to the movie car as possible.

munson2004.jpg

the drivers exterior door handle, and interior rear view mirror will also be missing, Roy accidentally tears them off with his "hook hand".........not one of his proudest moments.

this body is so very smooth and nice, it did have two sink marks in the trunk where the spoiler goes, but they blocked right out!

more to come guys!

stay tuned

bryan

does anyone know if a resin company makes the "stock" hood for this car yet? this one comes with the "442" hood, and the one Roy drives defenitely isnt a 442! LOL

let me know, thanks in advance guys!

bryan

I ran into this a several months ago when I decided to build a replica of a Cutlass ragtop a friend's girlfriend had once owned. I already had the kit with the W-30 hood and didn't want to buy another kit, so I submitted the question to the Spotlight Hobbies board. Long story short, Kevin from the Missing Link / MAD / Motor City casting consortium contacted me to say said he offers one that is a perfect fit. If you've ever purchased anything from them, you already know that you'll be receiving a top-notch piece. Try posting this question in the Resin section. I'm sure those guys will have his most current contact information.

In my situation, another modeler had contacted me before Kevin did and asked if I would do a direct swap for his non-W-30 Revell hood, which is what I ended up doing.