Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you do while waiting for a kit to arrive?

The other day I went on E-Bay and found a 1/12 scale, Monogram 1967 Corvette Coupe still sealed in its box up for grabs. Yeah, the $75.00 that included shipping was a bit stiff, but the kit is no longer in production and it's a kit that I loved building when I was a kid. I have the MCG Photo-Etch set for the kit but just needed the actual kit to build.

I'm now at the difficult part in waiting for the kit to arrive (scheduled to arrive on Wednesday next week) and just thinking of what I'm going to do. I think I'll spend the extra money (got some b-day cash a couple weeks ago and some poker winnings that I use to splurge on myself) and go get the high quality automotive touch-up paint from a site that I've purchased from before. I don't think I've ever painted a car green or yellow, and am leaning towards going with the Goodwood Green Metallic paint with a black interior. I just think that the Sunfire Yellow color with black interior would too "bumble-bee" like for me.

With this being a large scale kit, I know I can really detail the engine bay, fully wire it and plumb it, and just make it stand out. I was thinking of opening the doors for it, but with a 1967 Coupe the doors are VERY tricky to cut out and I don't want to mess this up. So I'll just do a minor cut job and cut the headlights out and hook it up so they can rotate like on the real car.

There are so many things I'm thinking of and hoping of doing here. I got a Connecticut State license plate template and have put my actual plate number on there and will use that for this car, and am already working on possible photo-etch parts I can make that aren't on the MCG sheet. I'll likely de-chrome the chromed parts, clean them up, then send them to Chrome Tech USA and have them all re-chromed for me.

So what do you guys/gals all do when you are waiting for a kit to arrive and itching to get some paint and glue applied?

I have been waiting for over a week for my first model to arrive. First one in almost 30 years. Its driving me nuts!

I will be pleased with a "box stock" vehicle that is not a "glue bomb" (trying to learn the lingo they use here). :P

I have been reading on here a lot to occupy my time and learn though. :D

Edited by Brian_B

I have been waiting for over a week for my first model to arrive. First one in almost 30 years. Its driving me nuts!

I will be pleased with a "box stock" vehicle that is not a "glue bomb" (trying to learn the lingo they use here). :P

I have been reading on here a lot to occupy my time and learn though. :D

Hehe. Me too. I've been going through the tips and tricks sections, looking at other project announcement threads for Corvettes, and searching the web for good tutorial sites in order to get more ideas for how to better detail the kit.

As you are coming back to the hobby, like I did earlier this year, I will first say "Welcome Back!" I got back into this as a way to keep my brain busy while looking for a new job, and because I love corvettes.

Two sites I will recommend you check out are http://www.italianho...s/tutorials.htm for some GREAT tutorials for detailing techniques, and for paint take a look at http://www.automotivetouchup.com. The prices are a bit higher than I am comfortable with, but they have EXACT matches for paint colors for nearly every make and model of car out there. If you are looking to accurately replicate the colors of a real car, these paints are great. They are a lacquer paint, but I haven't had any compatibility issues with any of the kit plastics I've used the paints on. They dry super fast, and rock hard. The clear coat they sell is the best clear I've ever used. It goes on and appears to have a little orange peel to it, but as the paint dries it smooths out and becomes incredibly hard and glossy. So easy to buff up and get to a thick, rich shine. The quick drying is a huge plus too. Only a couple of hours after applying the paint, you can safely pick up the parts and touch the painted surface without fear of damaging it. I still let it sit a full 24 hours before buffing out or sanding, but the sniff test (where you take a whiff of the painted surface to see if you can smell any fumes coming off which would indicate that it's still drying) usually lets me know that it's perfectly fine after only 6 or 7 hours.

Edited by Jdurg

I do work on one of the other 20 I have on the workbench. It's good you have one coming you really want to work on. What you're actually doing, research on what you plan to do for the build, is something I'd be doing anyway ... it's one the fun parts I have in a build. Enjoy planning it out and before you know it .. ! ;)

Well one thing I just did was realize that on the photo-etch sheet for this kit, there are plenty of emblems and whatnot that need some painting. So I was able to get the paint in there where needed. What's so great about this is that because it's a large scale kit (1/12), the photo-etch pieces themselves are pretty large and thick. So I was able to take some paint and let it flow into the valleys in the photo-etch sheet and cover the parts where needed. Once it dried, I took some VERY fine sandpaper and polished up the metal while also removing the paint from the areas where it doesn't need to be. As a result, I have been able to get the colors in the right spot and really make them stand out. Just did the black right now, and will soon have the white and red colors on the flag emblems painted. This is getting me even more psyched.

What's cool about doing a car like the 1967 Corvette, which is widely popular, is that there is a TON of reference material out there. I found a website that has immense numbers of photos of each model year Corvette. With the '67 being so popular, I am able to get a ton of photos of the underside of the car as well as of the rolling chassis. This will be critical with regards to having the fuel line, the brake lines, and the right coloration of the suspension parts. Wednesday can't get here soon enough! :D

Wait for a kit? I don't wait for any kit whether I've ordered it or it's soon to be released as I have PLENTY of other kits to work on.

Ditto. Also I haven't bought a new kit since the AMT Double T kit was released a few years back. Plenty of other kits to keep me busy.

vodka: the solution to builders block and the solution to builders anxiety all rolled into one!

to the subject though, i tend to have projects going and rarely will be waiting to get a kit to start building. sometimes im anxious to get it to see how it is or whatever, but oftentimes when it arrives i let it sit for a couple days just to be in the proper frame of mind for what i might find. just this morning, for example, i received a built up Blue Beetle i had won on ebay and despite my courteous instructions on how to pack it, i feared what i would find when i opened it. it actually came tuesday and this is friday. and both rear wheels were broken off, the glass had come out of the windshield, the front tires had come off the wheels but the wheels were still firmly attached to the unbroken axle which was a relief, a couple of pieces of suspension had come loose but overall it was pretty successful. ive had build ups arrive that i had really lusted after only to find they had pretty much disassembled themselves but unfortunately not where the manufacturer intended.

oh well off the subject again, but thats what happens when my relaxant of choice kicks in.

Edited by jbwelda