Model Cars Magazine Forum

Transtar Large Car

Started this two years ago. Here's how it looked until about three days ago.
IMG_57101-vi.jpg

Skip ahead to earlier this week, when I added some etched brass screen to make a new grille insert.
c080c488-vi.jpg

And then came some serious body work...
1dbd16c2-vi.jpg
I had wanted to stretch the hood, and I ultimately decided to go with a so-not-subtle two feet. Trouble was, this made the hood look way out of proportion to the cab. So I decided to chop and graft a second Transtar cab onto the first cab, creating a 4-door crew cab.

Front wheels are the Transtar units, I cut the center out of an AMT Rides Magazine kit to make them a bit larger in diameter and fit the RM tires. The truck will feature a fully adjustable air suspension- this will be 'show height'.

This truck will represent a no-holes-barred, no-expense-spared show rig- something built simply to turn heads at a truck show. It'll obviously be a long-wheelbase rig, and I'm toying with adding a sleeper box but I'm not 100% sold on that yet.

Edited by Michigan Madman

Well, I'm afraid the engine in this will be rather dull by comparison. It will run a CAT 3400- though I might install more than one turbo if I get ambitious.

I thought about sticking in the engine from a Payhauler 350, but since Detroit diesels like to wear their oil on the outside rather than keep it in the crankcase, it would be a poor choice for a clean, polished show truck, no matter how audacious an engine choice it would be. :lol:

Well, I'm afraid the engine in this will be rather dull by comparison. It will run a CAT 3400- though I might install more than one turbo if I get ambitious.

I thought about sticking in the engine from a Payhauler 350, but since Detroit diesels like to wear their oil on the outside rather than keep it in the crankcase, it would be a poor choice for a clean, polished show truck, no matter how audacious an engine choice it would be. :lol:

Wellllll... I know of a famous hotrod Peterbilt with a12V71... So that excuse just went out the proverbial window!! Haha! Hey do what pleases your soul man, but go as crazy on that engine as the remainder of that concept! Like tooltas said, an Allison V12 would be pretty awesome too, I can already hear the sound of that! :D Edited by BigBad

Well, I do have an Allison-powered IH in the works, just not this one. It might even be a TWIN Allison-powered IH if I get really nuts with it. I'm not sure if that one will be more of a show truck or a race truck (think of a Bonneville Big Rig), but I am pretty sure I wanna get to it eventually. :D

Well, I do have an Allison-powered IH in the works, just not this one. It might even be a TWIN Allison-powered IH if I get really nuts with it. I'm not sure if that one will be more of a show truck or a race truck (think of a Bonneville Big Rig), but I am pretty sure I wanna get to it eventually. :D

Yeah I could see the big allison or dua allison's as a boneville flats truck or even somethin you would see at a truck pull event.

• 2 weeks later...