Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1969 AMC Rambler

2000-cvpi

This is my first work in progress on the internet. I bought a lot of Johan Ramblers on Ebay a while back. After sorting through the loose parts that I won, there was enough to build about seven complete kits, and six more close enough kits. This is the best of the lot. I painted the body a champagne color and the interior is a red brown.

20120824_153532.jpg

20120824_154214.jpg

Nice color, and I see you've already started filling the hole in the engine block.

Most of the time with the older kits I use the metal axles, but this one has holes you could drive a real Rambler through. I just can't leave them like this, they are over a quarter of an inch.

Cool project. And do my eyes deceive me, or did you raise the headrest on the drivers seat?

I did raise the drivers seat headrest. I always do when I drive actual cars, and on this kit the headrests are adjustable. I figured why not.

I mocked up the wheels and tires tonight after assembling the suspension. I made my own axles to replace the metal rods that run through the engine and rear axle. I an still trying to decide if I should use chrome stock rims or painted rims. I mocked up each side with the tires that I am going to use from the two latest AMT parts pack tire sets.

I forgot to mention that any and all feedback would be most welcome. I have no problem with constructive criticism, good or bad. So fire away.

20120827_235540.jpg

20120827_235518.jpg

This is the new front axle. I made it from the evergreen rod. This build is more of a learning experience for future builds of this kit. It's by no means accurate to the paint colors that AMC used, but it's more of what I would do with one of these in 1 to 1.

20120828_001432.jpg

20120828_001500.jpg

Edited by 2000-cvpi

Nice chassis! Be careful using evergreen for the axle. I did that and after about 6 months the weight of the car caused it to bend so it looked knock-kneed. I solved that by drilling a tiny hole in the crossmember and inserting a straight pin to keep the weight off the tires.

Nice chassis! Be careful using evergreen for the axle. I did that and after about 6 months the weight of the car caused it to bend so it looked knock-kneed. I solved that by drilling a tiny hole in the crossmember and inserting a straight pin to keep the weight off the tires.

The last time I built a kit and replace the axle, I noticed exactly what you mentioned. This time I beefed the evergreen with some copper wire sandwiched by evergreen. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.