Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished several months back, and now for sale. Watch the video at the end.

This was built by the shop where I currently work. I have no part of this build, but I think it's a smoking-hot little car. It's on a custom front-zeed rectangular steel-tube chassis that's the same wheelbase as a '32. Chevy 350 Mexican crate-motor with 3 Rochester 2bbls, S-10 5-speed, Ford 9" rear and repop '40 juice brakes all around. Also 16" repop Ford steelies, aluminum repop B-17 seats and a '32 grille shell. Very traditional car.

And this is a hot-rod, not a rat rod. It will be gloss copper metallic, with a little chrome to dress it out. Josh Mills and his crew have done all of the work, and the welding is the nicest you can get, period. The quality of the top-chop is pretty much perfect.

DSCN6715.jpg

DSCN6714.jpg

DSCN6718.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 7 months later...

Nice!

is this the same Josh Mills who built the '35 Ford custom featured in the January '11 R&C?

Yup. He recently finished this restoration too, the Quincy's Auto Supply cabriolet, originally featured in the early '60s in Rod &Custom

8199243193_eab847d749_z.jpg32Cabrio2%20%28444x205%29.jpg

looks good. what's conventional wisdom regarding grille height in relationship to the cowl? even, lower, higher, don't matter?

Mills favored keeping the full-height '32 grille shell, partially to allow the maximum height radiator (as the car runs a period 4-blade engine driven fan, with no shroud). With the top of the cowl on, many hours were spent sighting and photographing the car from several angles, while subtly adjusting the height of the top of the grille shell. It doesn't look so tall when the top of the painted cowl is installed, and actually, the line from the cowl front to the top of the grille-shell is parallel to the frame rails, when viewed from the side.

Frankly, if it had been my call, i would have chopped the shell 1.5 or 2", but the car is stunning as-is when you actually see it, and the grille looks right. To my eye though, the grille shells look better if they're slightly lower than the cowl, but it's a very subjective thing, and you have to move around the car and look at it from different sight lines. Chopping the shells can result in a 'monkey-face' look if they're cut too much, too. Beauty is often in subtlety...which is why some rods are gorgeous, just right, and some are just plain dorky looking.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

How was the roof insert finished? Or isn't it yet?

I haven't seen the car for a couple of weeks...been working in my own shop...but I should be back down at Mills later this week. Burt Litton is doing the interior and roof insert, and the original plan was to make a fold-back roof insert similar to what was on the old VW beetle sunroof cars. I'll post more pix as it nears completion.

• 1 year later...