Models at Wal*Mart - Part II

91 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I was in the Walmart here in Pocatello a week ago,and they had a shelf set up,ready to load with models,exactly like the one in the first post.Same prices too.

Posted · Report post

I was at the one in Union City, Ca on Friday. Not even a hint of them coming. There are 2 in Fremont, I'll ck them out too.

Posted · Report post

Didn't get a chance to stop into my 1st store, but the two more rural Super Centers in Lewistown & Mill Hall, PA had nary a tube of glue between them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's going to be very interesting where this goes. Even though there are alternatives, and we could Walmart bash all day long, it is important that we support this along with all other venues to keep our hobby alive.

Though I don't like the prices, I will be buying from Walmart occassionally. I will especially be buying from their supplies as I don't want to drive all day for a can of Testors paint. I hope they carry one coat along with the traditional enamel.

Edited by Skydime

Posted · Report post

Found models at one of the three wally worlds, but only models and rockets, not paints or glue or supply's, it was a end cap set up

IMG-20120828-00117.jpg

Posted · Report post

Yesterday I checked the Super Walmart in Medina, Ohio. No models. No open spot for them. I asked a clerk in the Toy Department if they were going to get models in. All I got was a "dumb puppy" look. I told her I'd heard some Walmarts in other parts of the country were either stocking them or putting them in. She just smiled and said she didn't know because she only worked in this store. Oh well, I'll keep watching and see what happens. Aaron Dupont

Posted · Report post

I've also seen the 66 Mustang (Shelby?) Special Edition 68 Charger, Special Edition 62 Impala, mid 2000s body snap Impala police cruiser, and a few others. Most of those shown are on the shelf now as well.

Posted · Report post

Found models at one of the three wally worlds, but only models and rockets, not paints or glue or supply's, it was a end cap set up

That looks like the exact same selection of kits you'd see at a Michael's store.

Posted · Report post

That looks like the exact same selection of kits you'd see at a Michael's store.

Pretty much Casey, although I think Michaels carrys a little bigger selection, well least the stores I shop at

Posted · Report post

Walmart in Kettering, OH is going to have them. Empty shelves were labeled and they had hooks for glue and paint

Posted · Report post

Pretty much Casey, although I think Michaels carrys a little bigger selection, well least the stores I shop at

The closest Michael's to me carries probably 50% more plastic kits and a bunch of die cast kits as well.

Posted · Report post

Checked Friday in Mountain Home, AR. As expected for a rural area.......No models nor space for them.

Posted · Report post

Not in south florida,, been to them,, No models, Must be a north thing

Not this part of the north. I'm in Northern Indiana & no sign of models at any Walmarts in this area. I've asked at several Walmarts & they haven't heard anything about restocking models. :(

Posted · Report post

Made it back down to Severn, Maryland this morning, where this whole Wally World Model Section odyssey started. They've managed to stock up the selection since I was there last time. Right now there is only a missing slot in the Street Burners B Assortment, everything else is filled. Hiding behind the '68 Vette is a pair of '66 El Caminos, and there's a pair of '66 Mustang GT-Hs behind the '69 Z-28s.

376572_10151136324935699_743215336_n.jpg

All of the paint is enamel here, even the two slots for "Acrylic Starter Set", which HAD acrylic starter sets when I was there 2 weeks ago. I dunno if they got an over-ship of the enamel ones, or people actually bought the acrylic ones and they stocked in the enamels ones to fill the spaces. But all the tiny bottles are enamel (that I looked at)...

393442_10151136326425699_1254730513_n.jpg

Posted · Report post

Walmart carries acrylic paints over in the craft area called apple barrel. Both gloss .97 and flat .57 in a myriad of colors.

When you live 100 miles from anyplace that sells model supplies, you make due with what you can get.

Posted · Report post

last time (was last week sometime) i was down at our local wally world and no kits either here in southeast ohio! :(

maybe later today i may get a chance to check again...if not tuesday i can! :lol:

Posted · Report post

Happened to go by one of the local Walmarts here today and they had about the same as the pics above. Pretty much the same as Michaels too. Walmart must be giving all the stores a "standard" package.

Posted · Report post

Has anyone seen models walmarts across Canada? I haven't seen any yet.

Posted · Report post

I have hit around 8 Walmarts in NW Pennsylvania; Erie / Meadville/greenville/ Sharon/Edinboro area....Wallyworld employees give me a blank look when I ask....(typical.)

Yesterday I checked the Super Walmart in Medina, Ohio. No models. No open spot for them. I asked a clerk in the Toy Department if they were going to get models in. All I got was a "dumb puppy" look. I told her I'd heard some Walmarts in other parts of the country were either stocking them or putting them in. She just smiled and said she didn't know because she only worked in this store. Oh well, I'll keep watching and see what happens. Aaron Dupont

There's no need for the Walmart in Medina to carry model kits, Medina already has a nice Hobby Shop, a Hobby Lobby and even Drug Mart carries models. There all within about a mile of each other, the Hobby Lobby is even in the same plaza as Walmart. I don't know how many other places in Ohio or anywere else are so lucky to have that many choices to by model kits. I sure hope it stays that way .....

Steve

Edited by SteveG

> I sure hope it s(t)ays that way

if wally world starts stocking decent kits, dont count on it staying that way. wally wont put up with it. they MUST control the world and competitors will be crushed!

the worst part about it is there will be plenty of people willing to help wally along if only they save fifty cents on the deal.

Edited by jbwelda

Posted · Report post

Walmart in Dickson City,PA has them also they look to be the same one's as in the earlier pic. along with testors paint and glue.

Prices were about $20.

Posted · Report post

Made it back down to Severn, Maryland this morning, where this whole Wally World Model Section odyssey started. They've managed to stock up the selection since I was there last time. Right now there is only a missing slot in the Street Burners B Assortment, everything else is filled. Hiding behind the '68 Vette is a pair of '66 El Caminos, and there's a pair of '66 Mustang GT-Hs behind the '69 Z-28s.

376572_10151136324935699_743215336_n.jpg

All of the paint is enamel here, even the two slots for "Acrylic Starter Set", which HAD acrylic starter sets when I was there 2 weeks ago. I dunno if they got an over-ship of the enamel ones, or people actually bought the acrylic ones and they stocked in the enamels ones to fill the spaces. But all the tiny bottles are enamel (that I looked at)...

393442_10151136326425699_1254730513_n.jpg

Where are the kits located exactly? I assume somewhere in toys, and from one picture here they look to be near the bike stuff. I've heard that the kits are going in about 500 stores, so not every store will have them. I haven't seen them in the two stores near me...Somers (Kenosha) and Racine, Wisconsin. I'm not a regular Wal-Mart shopper, but I hope this does well (and is profitable for all the companies involved) because this hobby needs more mainstream exposure. Hopefully the Revell contest with Stacy David will continue too and there will be in-store promotion like there was at Hobby Lobby.

Posted · Report post

I'll check out my local Wally Mart tomorrow and see if they have any kits yet.

Posted · Report post

Where are the kits located exactly? I assume somewhere in toys, and from one picture here they look to be near the bike stuff. I've heard that the kits are going in about 500 stores, so not every store will have them. I haven't seen them in the two stores near me...Somers (Kenosha) and Racine, Wisconsin. I'm not a regular Wal-Mart shopper, but I hope this does well (and is profitable for all the companies involved) because this hobby needs more mainstream exposure. Hopefully the Revell contest with Stacy David will continue too and there will be in-store promotion like there was at Hobby Lobby.

Severn's are in the back aisle that abuts the bike rack, but Mechanicsburg was in the middle of the setup where the ill-fated "Paper Jamz" musical instruments used to be. Seems to be a "where they have space" type of thing.