Models at Wal*Mart - Part II

91 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The Super Wallymart in Goodyear AZ, Estrella Blvd has an 8 ft section of model kits and paint sets. No spray paint there but they have a city ordinance that requires those paints to be locked up so they may be in the Paint dept. That's where they were in the past.

AzTom

Posted · Report post

The Super Wallymart in Goodyear AZ, Estrella Blvd has an 8 ft section of model kits and paint sets. No spray paint there but they have a city ordinance that requires those paints to be locked up so they may be in the Paint dept. That's where they were in the past.

AzTom

My girlfriends son works at that location

Posted · Report post

I asked the lady in toys at our wally and got the biggest line of ( balogney ) i'd ever heard !! Tried makin up all kinds of excuses and even went so far as to tell me that HobbyLobby had quit sellin models and that HobbyLobby was goin outa business !!!! LOL... I just gave her a blank look and said is that right ?? hahaha I was just in HLobby the day before !!!! :wacko:

Posted · Report post

Another question:

Is there a certain section there putting them or is it just where they can find space type thing?

Posted (edited) · Report post

none in the st louis area. will have to email the evil empire's HQ and see what the deal is..................just emailed the HQ

Edited by route66modeler

Posted · Report post

Another question:

Is there a certain section there putting them or is it just where they can find space type thing?

In the one I was in it looks like where they can make it fit with little effort. They are in the toy section. The isle they are in has a pass through to the next isle and they have a four foot section of models, then the pass through then another four foot section. I almost missed the second section :blink:

Posted · Report post

none in the st louis area. will have to email the evil empire's HQ and see what the deal is..................just emailed the HQ

The one out here in Troy, MO has 'em. Funny thing; I always thought we were "rural". :)

Posted · Report post

was at the one here in cleveland but forgot to look

Posted · Report post

Made it back down to Severn, Maryland this morning, where this whole Wally World Model Section odyssey started. They've managed to stock up the selection since I was there last time. Right now there is only a missing slot in the Street Burners B Assortment, everything else is filled. Hiding behind the '68 Vette is a pair of '66 El Caminos, and there's a pair of '66 Mustang GT-Hs behind the '69 Z-28s.

376572_10151136324935699_743215336_n.jpg

All of the paint is enamel here, even the two slots for "Acrylic Starter Set", which HAD acrylic starter sets when I was there 2 weeks ago. I dunno if they got an over-ship of the enamel ones, or people actually bought the acrylic ones and they stocked in the enamels ones to fill the spaces. But all the tiny bottles are enamel (that I looked at)...

393442_10151136326425699_1254730513_n.jpg

Don't see the custom Wal-Mart checkerboard background.

mEzdMxNEDKiUaK7D_j4zCjg.jpg

Posted · Report post

I asked the lady in toys at our wally and got the biggest line of ( balogney ) i'd ever heard !! Tried makin up all kinds of excuses and even went so far as to tell me that HobbyLobby had quit sellin models and that HobbyLobby was goin outa business !!!! LOL... I just gave her a blank look and said is that right ?? hahaha I was just in HLobby the day before !!!! :wacko:

You TALK to people at WMart ?! Wow..... :o

Posted · Report post

wallmart here in apopka fl has the same set up just in front of the rc truck and legos they got a kw semi that got my eye on

Posted · Report post

Ahh, $5 and $6 wallyworld specials. Those were the days.

Posted · Report post

all of the wal-marts here stopped selling models ages ago because kids wouldn't stop opening the spray paint and spraying it everywhere lol so now i have to make a 20+ mile trip to good ole' hobby lobby for all my paints and kits haha

p.s sorry for going off topic just thought i'd share a funny story :D

Posted · Report post

i work at wal-mart and have never heard of such a thing happening-would be cool!

Posted · Report post

got a call from a walmart mgr yesterday(guess HQ of walmart passed on my email). She told me that the stores in st louis would not be getting model kits. She said all the shelf space had been set for the holiday season.

Posted · Report post

Walmart makes ALL OF THEIR MERCHANDISING DECISIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL STORES FROM BENTONVILLE, ARKANSAS. I'm not sure just what criteria they use for sure, nor quite how they come up with it, but with much of their total lineup, they tend to pick and choose what merchandise goes into what store, from their corporate stores.

Art

Posted · Report post

Ahh, $5 and $6 wallyworld specials. Those were the days.

Those "specials" were the result of AMT/Ertl management producing (WAYYY overproducing!) those kits back in the late 1990's. At one point, AMT/Ertl discovered they had over a million unsold model car kits bulging the walls out of their warehouses in China. That's why the blowout prices. I heard the long, convoluted story of how that came about (several AMT Ertl execs got the axe for that!)

Trust me, that mistake is not likely to be repeated!

Art

Posted (edited) · Report post

Turns out my local Wal*Mart (the one I actually shop at when I'm off) has a model section now too. But it does appear to be the only one of five within 20 miles of my house that does. There must be some criteria that relates to how well a store sold the Christmas model displays in prior years.

Edited by niteowl7710

Posted · Report post

got a call from a walmart mgr yesterday(guess HQ of walmart passed on my email). She told me that the stores in st louis would not be getting model kits. She said all the shelf space had been set for the holiday season.

Well, Steve, I guess we're just gonna have to meet in St. Charles then. Like I said earlier, the WM here in Troy has a model section but the selection is Pfft! I MAY buy basic paints if it's something like 11:30 at night and I NEED a color but, other than that MTH (that would be our LHS for those not in the St. Louis area and points west), here I come!

Posted · Report post

We have a new Walmart opening between now and Christmas time. I would wager that, if either of the stores here would have models, that one would be it. The other store has been here for a long time and chances are its holiday shelf layout has long been decided.

Posted · Report post

yea back then you would see the 84 gmc in them at 6 bucks i would get two or more. and know look at price of that kit its as much as the fallguy one :blink:

Posted · Report post

Let me add Altoona, PA and the "West" Winchester, VA stores as having full model sections.

Posted · Report post

Still no models at the Danville Illinois store. On top of that, they cut their die cast selection in half.

Posted · Report post

Nothing here in the Phoenix area.

Posted · Report post

I'll ck my local LHS or buy online if I have to and avoid Walmart like a plague

just my opinion