Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project: "Inferno" 49 Merc - *Update p17* 3/13/15

JasonFL

I left you off with the motor compartment.

To clean the radiator up I found this cover off a bumper I got in a trade. Not sure what the bumper is off of, maybe a TBird?

I cut the cover off then cut the middle out. The last photo is a rough idea on how I want it to look.

82c2154d3bbaadf754c3467a66ff00bf_zps8258

56bc63cb68e32db7c6aa45090bfb5ed9_zps7f06

0e19afe211953fabfde3f1cbd0a9be75_zps4fe7

I filled the radiator mounting holes and made new hidden brackets for it.

Then I made 2 pieces on the sides to sit on top of the fender wells and a piece in the middle to bring it together.

b958a4611539ce1dd27706e0ae538deb_zpscf53

I pulled the middle piece back off, added another piece to level the motor cover out then cut the hole for function.

I also finished off the end pieces for the radiator and glued them on.

397ca71eb1c09c1f82d6755732086e4a_zps965d

Wow I thought heres just another merc build, but I read through it and Im hooked .... ;) ..... You do great modifications, and there are loads of ideas to copy..... :P ..... Thought you would go for a old style engine set up, the new one looks fantastic ! Have you considered making the rest of the car look more modern, new wheels, interior parts maybe ? Love it whatever you do mate, very inspirational build I will look forward to more......... Lowlife ! !

This is just an amazing build. The use of scrap parts and creativity are so inspiring. Can't wait to take a stab at some of these techniques I am seeing here. I am almost finished with my 55/57 Chevy Cameo and can't wait to get going on something next to try some of this. GREAT JOB!!! Can't wait to see more.

Wow, absolutely brilliant!! This blows my mind! Master of styrene!!!!

Thanks Ben, appreciate that.

Wow I thought heres just another merc build, but I read through it and Im hooked .... ;) ..... You do great modifications, and there are loads of ideas to copy..... :P ..... Thought you would go for a old style engine set up, the new one looks fantastic ! Have you considered making the rest of the car look more modern, new wheels, interior parts maybe ? Love it whatever you do mate, very inspirational build I will look forward to more......... Lowlife ! !

Thanks a lot Martin. That's just what I didn't want, another Merc build. Mission accomplished. I'm still not sure about the motor, I might switch it up. At first I planned on going more modern but the only wheels I had at the time that allowed me to lay it out were the stock ones. As for the interior, I have an idea for what I want but haven't touched it yet.

This is just an amazing build. The use of scrap parts and creativity are so inspiring. Can't wait to take a stab at some of these techniques I am seeing here. I am almost finished with my 55/57 Chevy Cameo and can't wait to get going on something next to try some of this. GREAT JOB!!! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks Andy. I'd like to see your take on some of the techniques, post up a link if you ever do any. I definitely have to check out that 55/57 project you got going on.

Keep it going Jason! Inspirational for sure!!

Thanks buddy

That's a real good look for that car...the way you're doing the hood.

Kudos!

Thanks Ray

That engine cover is amazing, the design look so cool.

Thanks Bill. Glad your liking it, hopefully you'll like what I do next to it.

Every time I see an update on your build it makes me smile, just gets better and better.

Haha thanks Robert, means a lot.

awsome progress .. love this build

Thanks Rich

Thanks Andy. I'd like to see your take on some of the techniques, post up a link if you ever do any. I definitely have to check out that 55/57 project you got going on.

Thanks buddy

Thanks Ray

Thanks Jason. The build thread is under the light truck workbench section under 55/57 Cameo. I would love to get some feedback of your thoughts on it. Hoping to try your dimple dye idea on my 60 Impala I am working on.

Thanks Jason. The build thread is under the light truck workbench section under 55/57 Cameo. I would love to get some feedback of your thoughts on it. Hoping to try your dimple dye idea on my 60 Impala I am working on.

Hey Andy, that 55/57 Cameo is badass. Can't wait to see it finished and I look forward to seeing the dimple work on the Impala.

• 4 weeks later...
OK so I;m fallowing along on this build, any updates???? need to see more lol.

MORE!!!!!!

^ What he said! :D

Amazing work and attention to detail.

Haha alright alright. I'm trying to be better at this so here's an update. Thanks for the support fellas.

The whole purpose for the motor cover was to incorporate the hood emblem.

I lined it up straight, outlined it, and started cutting.

f1c73fc52282e1865e0a4310a0208c22_zpsf1f9

I cut the front mount off the emblem and made a bracket for it that gives it a floating look.

499c7b31883c7be68899f9938da3e6db_zps1c4b

a921de1cbb87547f92b44224b8eb4f2e_zps007e

112ea89f362d6b179c263ab9d4efd0ac_zps2798

Then I had to make a piece for the open area. This seemed to be a lot harder then it looked. It was such a funky shape with some weird angles. Think I did alright tho

Started with a flat piece. Little by little I bent and shaped it as I went along.

c3fb3a383c4978fe00d816f5baae8f71_zpsda54

8f1269e8c8a69dcf48ffc4f36d4f1117_zps1808

After I glued it in and did some light sanding. Still needs body work and more detail.

ab950ea32fe90d9cabc6fb6527d3eeb6_zpsf8e9

c8dcf83dd9f39a7856d759a0c09469eb_zps5686

959e45b35c5f6a1f48c649b95cb6218d_zps5e32

That's it for now. Let me know what you all think. Thanks for looking.