Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD or GOOD "BADMAN"?

Dr. Cranky

I had built a couple of these years ago. From what I remember they were very simple and easy kits to build and had the "look" when finished. I think they would make a good "between projects" build. I guess you could go crazy detailing it but I think it would be best used as a quick build . Just one guys opinion.

like 90% of Monogram's cars, it's simple and quick to build, has lots of shiney, and is fairly easy to upgrade with a decent parts stash.

it's no Tamiya or Hasegawa by a loooong shot, but i can almost guarantee it won't end up languishing half-built in the bottom of the closet because it was too complicated. these are BUILDER'S kits.

Even though it's totally wrong as an "accurate" gasser (and what is class is D/MS anyway?), it's a still a fun kit to build and it looks cool when completed. Still one of my faves from my early days of model building. And the box art is killer.

Neil, I like your open assessment of the kit. My interest in it is simply to use the parts to modify and build perhaps a more accurate 55 phantom gassers.

My interest in it is simply to use the parts to modify and build perhaps a more accurate 55 phantom gassers.

The problem with using the Badman kit to build more accurate '55 gassers might be that it is 24th scale and virtually all the other '55 Chevy kits are 25th. As inaccurate as it is, I do have a soft spot for this kit and it's predecessor, Monogram's '55 BelAir Customizing Kit from the early '60s.

One thing that I think would help the look of the body on the Badman is some careful reshaping of the side window opening.

My interest in it is simply to use the parts to modify and build perhaps a more accurate 55 phantom gassers.

You might want to pass on the Badman kit, Virgil. The kit includes some decent American 200-S "Daisy" mags for use with the rear slicks (which aren't all that great), but the headers/exhaust manifolds and collectors are complete fantasy. The bucket seats are very '60s, but the rest of the interior (tub, dash) is straight from the original Monogram hardtop/convertible kit from 1964(?). The engine details aren't all that great, either, but the straight front axle is decent.

I picked this one up a few years ago in a trade and asked the same question. The concensus was the engine appears undersized and is "supposedly" 396 ci small block stroker motor, not a big block 396. The headers are bad and there are usually some molding issues. Mine has some issues where the front door and fender meet the cowl that will require some sanding and rescribing.

I intend to use mine with the 1/24 Revell '53 Chevy Coupe to make a wicked gasser.

I think this would be a good canvas for some of your wicked paint jobs, but as for realism, probably not your best bet. Remember this IS a Tom Daniels design so it's gonna be a little outrageous.

I think this kit was (and still is) best aimed at younger modelers, and it's a great kit to give to a kid that has shown some interest in building models.

And yes, I have an unbuilt earlier reissue on my shelf. It sits right next to a reissue of the "S'cool Bus".

On 8/28/2012 at 3:10 PM, Harry P. said:

It's meant for kids. Totally inaccurate in almost every way. Typical Monogram Tom Daniel "toy" model kit.

Technically, this kit isn't a Tom Daniel-designed kit, but more accurately, is a modified reissue, designed by Tom Daniel, and based on the original 1/24 Monogram '55 Chevrolet kit.

Edited by Casey

Good lord what hate. If ya wanna build a perfect period gasser, ya need to bash a bunch of parts. If ya want a super huge fun project for the weekend, this is it! I got carried away circa 1970, built it out of box, with a bunch of detail. Even kept the red windows. I was rewarded with first place in a King Norman's contest. Still after all the years, this might have been the most fun ever.

Good lord what hate. If ya wanna build a perfect period gasser, ya need to bash a bunch of parts. If ya want a super huge fun project for the weekend, this is it! I got carried away circa 1970, built it out of box, with a bunch of detail. Even kept the red windows. I was rewarded with first place in a King Norman's contest. Still after all the years, this might have been the most fun ever.

That's what it's ALL about, F U N !

I have 2 of the re-issues on the shelf, one WILL be built the way I did it as a kid back when it first came out.The other will remain unbuilt ,,,,,,,just because .

I don't care how accurate it is,, or isn't. It's part of my youth

And the box art is just to cool

To get back to Cranky's original question... there are far better options out there to use as a basis for building a realistic gasser. The "Badman" is what it is... basically a cartoon. Yes, it's easy to build, but as far as a good starting point to building a realistic gasser? Um… no.

42 years ago this simple kit (& not so accurate gasser...D/MS..WHAT'S THAT???) was mostly made for kids to have FUN as already mention...still with it's innacuracies a very good looking kit when completed for such a simple model kit.

TD's best boxart ever :wub:

Thanks for letting me know, Casey. I think I will in fact pass on it.

There's no reason a person with your skills and imagination couldn't build this kit into a cool looking gasser Virgil. All it needs it a few parts swapped and some primer and paint. In fact, I have an incomplete kit that I got in a trade from Casey. Give me about a week or so and I'll prove it to you.

There's no reason a person with your skills and imagination couldn't build this kit into a cool looking gasser Virgil. All it needs it a few parts swapped and some primer and paint. In fact, I have an incomplete kit that I got in a trade from Casey. Give me about a week or so and I'll prove it to you.

Thanks, Roger. I'm in the process of building a gasser from all sorts of parts and although it is quite a bit of fun, I am not used to this kind of intense rounding up of parts. Geez, so far I have used like six kits and counting for this thing. LOL.

Right Virgil. I'm betting that it will be a straight reissue just like the "Street Fighter' '60 Chevy sedan delivery. I'm definitely going to buy this kit when it comes out. Maybe two.