Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD or GOOD "BADMAN"?

Dr. Cranky

Thanks, Roger. I'm in the process of building a gasser from all sorts of parts and although it is quite a bit of fun, I am not used to this kind of intense rounding up of parts. Geez, so far I have used like six kits and counting for this thing. LOL.

I'll have to check to see what is and isn't in mine. But, I'll build it with minimal parts swapping and probably no added details. Now, to go dig it out and get started on it!

Except for the wheels, tires, and decals, the Badman kit is essentially the same kit as the Monogram Revell 1/24 '55 Chevy Street Machine kit which (I think) was just discontinued, but is still easily found for under $10.00:

"Revell" '55 Chevy Street Machine instructions:

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/revell-2/revell-55-chevy-str/

Monogram Badman instructions:

http://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/monogram/monogram-badman-55-chevy/

You can see the remnants of the original issue's molded in exhaust system when viewing the underside of the chassis/floorpans, as well as how the suspension is set up:

55ChevyBADMANMonogram007-vi.jpg

I wonder if the reissue is still going to have the two different rear wheels? There was a 200s on one side and I think it was a Cragar five spoke on the other side. I rember this because back in the eighties, this was the only kit that had a 200S wheelin it. My buddy had those wheels on his real 67 Vette and wanted a model built of it. We had to buy four kits to get the wheels.

It's a Tom Daniel kit, thus I want it.

When I was a kid, I couldn't afford Tom Daniel kits, when I had grown up, I couldn't afford them less than ever, then came the reissues and I was grateful for each and every one. For some odd reason, the Badman is among the few that have so far eluded me.

I'm very happy to have the chance to finally add it to my collection, and with decent box art of the man himself.

I met Tom a few years ago and he is one of the nicest persons I know.

I was looking at what I have of mine last night and noticed that the copyright date is 1963! This thing is almost fifty years old! I don't know exactly what year the "Badman" came out,but I remember building it in the early to mid '70s. I really hope Revell has done some work to the body mold. The door lines are pretty faint and non existant at the front top of the door above the chrome strip. I want at least one to build right out of the box although I will probably put in a proper big block engine. Someone mentioned that it was a 396 small block,but when this kit came out, no one had an idea of how to stroke a small block out to 396 cubic inches. So,that isn't the case. It's just the wrong engine for the drag version.

Here's a couple pics showing the chrome from an original Badman kit. It's one of the kits that I robbed the 200S wheel from. Here you can see that the remaining rear wheel is a regular Crager type five spoke rather than a 200S . I always wondered why Monogram did that???

Badmanwheel.jpg

Badmanchrome.jpg

Looking at the picture of the reissue, the chrome tree has been completely rearranged! I wonder why they did that?????

It is the Street Machine version . I just sold an unbuilt kit that had been taking up space for years !

Both versions are typical Monogram from the 70's . . . low parts count , few details , and way oversized even for 1/24th scale !

Edited by TooOld

well its has te wrong valve cover for a 396CID engine? Dislike the exhaust system molded into the chassis.

It's the whole wrong engine. And yet is has the molded exhaust left over form the original kit, but it's nothing a dedicated builder cant overcome.

ATTENTION ! I just got my NOV. issue of "STREET RODDER" mag. Along with all the cool stuff in it, there's a couple of in sites on the 55 gasser

ya'll might like taking a look at. Nice start for the BAD MAN if so inclined to build one. I'm still gonna put the wammy to one my self.. :P

PICT0033.jpg

this even look's the part

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

This one is a full write up of a personal car,, get the mag, it has some really cool shtuff in it...

Michaelj...

Michael, that magazine article is a great find. Thanks for sharing.

Heay, I thought you'd like it (every body). All I really have to say is- Ya'll know it's the same ole kit . The only thing new about this kit is the price!

I want every one to get the new kit and build hell out of it ! ya'll have tooooo much talent to make inferior art work out of this poo-poo...

CHALLENGE... Michaelj...

HAD IT AS A KID, NOW AT 55, I HAVE IT BACK IN MY TOM DANIELS COLLECTION. GRANTED, IT'S NOT THE MOST DETAILED KIT BUT IT IS COOL.

NOW, IF THE GUYS AT REVELL KEEP RELEASING THE TOM DANIELS CARS MAYBE ONE DAY WE COULD SEE A RERELEASE OF THE SAND CRAB.

It's the whole wrong engine. And yet is has the molded exhaust left over form the original kit, but it's nothing a dedicated builder cant overcome.

Not really. It's supposed to represent a small block bored & stroked to 396 ci. Considering Chevy had a 400 ci. small block from the factory it's not unrealistic, although those had a specific engine block. The crankshaft from 400 ci. engines are used to produce the very common 383 ci. stroker engines.

• Like 1