Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD or GOOD "BADMAN"?

Dr. Cranky

Not really. It's supposed to represent a small block bored & stroked to 396 ci.

Not at all. There's no way a 283 (the actual engine in the kit) can be stroked out to 396 cubic inches. I've heard that story for years. I just wonder who made it up?

I had read somewhere (maybe in the SA Tom Daniel-themed issue a few years ago?) that Tom designed the decals, without regard for which engine was actually included with the kit. As has been stated a few times, Tom's designs were never intended to be accurate replicas, so him taking creative license with the engine's displacement on the decals should surprise nobody.

It's a "for fun" kit, nothing more...unless you want to make it more than that. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Who cares if it is accurate or not. It is fun to build and a great slump buster, even straight out of the box! I remember building a total glue bomb when I was a kid and I was very glad the last time it got re-issued that I could finally build it a bit better. So have fun!

Lastof09005.jpg

Lastof09007.jpg

Edited by Daddyfink

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was my first ever kit. I built it with my dad when I was about 4 or 5. Ok he built it and made believe I helped. LOL. The point I'm getting at is for me this will be a nostalgic build for me. I've been wanting one of these for some time to rebuild as an adult. I don't know anything about Gassers other then they look cool as heck and I would like to make it as accurate as I can. Accurate or not I can't wait to get started on this one. I would love to see more completed kits if any one has any more.

Edited by Dirkpitt289

I have one that i built when i was 13 yrs old(25 yrs. ago) and won a school model contest with it, i still have it and it's exactly as the day i built and it always will be!

I recently picked up the re-issue of it but i plan on making changes on the latest version.

Now that is to cool.

If you guys keep it up , I am going to have to put my build of this kit at the ft of the list.

Built one when it first came out ( dates me pretty well now doesn't it ) and I WILL build another one now that I'm older, wiser and hopefully better than the 1st one was.

Typical Monogram/Tom Daniel kit... very simplified, not very accurate or realistic, lots of chrome parts to attract the kiddies.

As a source of realistic and/or usable parts... not really. A quick and easy weekend project? Yeah, if that's your thing.

Nice Downer reply. This is a typical Monogram / Tom Daniels kit, but hey it is what it is. Looking back through this thread it looks like it was fun and inspirational to many, if that's your thing.