Model Cars Magazine Forum

BAD or GOOD "BADMAN"?

Dr. Cranky

Nice Downer reply. This is a typical Monogram / Tom Daniels kit, but hey it is what it is. Looking back through this thread it looks like it was fun and inspirational to many, if that's your thing.

I didn't tell anyone that they shouldn't build it, I just answered the original question. Why does that bug you?

It's not my fault that the kit is inaccurate and simplified. :rolleyes:

I didn't tell anyone that they shouldn't build it, I just answered the original question. Why does that bug you?

It's not my fault that the kit is inaccurate and simplified. :rolleyes:

So, you felt like you needed to answer it three times?? These are your "answers". I guess you thought no one got the message the first or second time. :rolleyes:

It's meant for kids. Totally inaccurate in almost every way. Typical Monogram Tom Daniel "toy" model kit.

To get back to Cranky's original question... there are far better options out there to use as a basis for building a realistic gasser. The "Badman" is what it is... basically a cartoon. Yes, it's easy to build, but as far as a good starting point to building a realistic gasser? Um… no.

Typical Monogram/Tom Daniel kit... very simplified, not very accurate or realistic, lots of chrome parts to attract the kiddies.

As a source of realistic and/or usable parts... not really. A quick and easy weekend project? Yeah, if that's your thing.

They just don't make 'em like the used to, do they ?

Thank goodness for that. I gave the Badman kit a go the last time it was re-issued, and didn't enjoy it at all. The parts fit is not very good in some places and as mentioned numerous times, it's not the most accurate kit...but that's also part of its appeal.

I disagree that this kit is for kids, however. This kit seems squarely aimed at the 35+ year old who built this kit as a kid (and probably not very well) and wants to give it another try as an adult. This fits the pattern of every Tom Daniel designed kit Revell has re-issued in the last twenty years, and they keep selling. Sometimes appealing to the eight year old inside of us is enough to make the sale.

I disagree that this kit is for kids, however.

The reissue was done for two obvious reasons: One, the tooling is already paid for and any sales at this point are 95% gravy, and Two: They are appealing to the adult modelers that remember this kit from their childhood.

But in its original release back in the day, it was aimed squarely at kids. That was 90% of the market then, and kids loved kits like this... simple, easy to build, and lots of shiny chrome parts. Accuracy wasn't an issue then.

But in its original release back in the day, it was aimed squarely at kids. That was 90% of the market then, and kids loved kits like this... simple, easy to build, and lots of shiny chrome parts. Accuracy wasn't an issue then.

Agreed. ;)

Thanks for letting me know, Casey. I think I will in fact pass on it.

Virg, it's just a car-toon (you'll pardon the pun). But it's fun, just like all the other TD kits. You don't have to worry about accuracy or detail (unless you really want to), and they pretty much fall together.

It's fun. That's all it was ever meant to be.

If you want a more accurate gasser subject, use the Revell '55 hardtop or the AMT '55 sedan.

Terry

You have to stop and look at the Badman for what it is, not necessarily to a young builder but to us "ahem" older guys that remember it from waaaay back when. In my opinion its an iconic model...more so than any of the other re-releases that have came out in the last few years. I always buy a model or start a custom build with the thought in my head," what would this be like and what kind of impression would it make if it was a real car rolling down the street". And if you look at Badman in that light, even right out of the box ...........it would be one baaaaaad mother.

When I was 10 I got the Badman for Christmas from my oldest sister. It was the coolest model I had even seen, and one of the coolest gifts I had ever gotten. It really stuck with me. I still remember the huge slicks, that big chrome blower and the outrageous "396" and "Badman" decals on the side. I didnt even know what a 396 was but the decals were sure cool! My Dad helped me build it because I wanted to do a really good job and not screw it up. For the most part he instructed me and then put the decals on because they were too tough for me do do properly. It was by far the coolest model on my shelf and I loved it right up until the moment I screwed it up by trying to do my first lowering and tub job 2 years later.

When I saw it on the shelf in a Hobby shop many years later all those memories came back to me in an instant, I could even smell the distinct scent of the Lepages model glue that we used, and everything was cool again.

Yeah its a basic model, and now that I know what a 396 is I know for sure that THATS NO 396! The molded in exhaust is a drag and shouldnt be there, its terrible and detracts from the model but who cares. I have the modeling skills now that I could have gotten rid of the molded exhaust, put a real 396 in it and built the heck out of it to make it a show worthy piece but instead I took it home, got right to it and built it box stock (aside from the BMF which was a first for me) in a day and enjoyed every second of it just as every 10 year old should. No smoothing the mold seams out of the body then covering it in perfect paint. Not even a clear coat over the plastic to give it shine. Just wash the body, trim some flash and get on with the show.

It was the model that really got me fired up on modelling as a kid and every model I built after that I tried to make as cool as the Badman without much success. In my later teens I stopped building models and didnt build for many years until the day I found it in that Hobby shop. Thanks to Tom Daniels and the Badman my spirit to build was re-kindled and I`ve been doing it and enjoying it ever since.

SDC10238.jpg

I just need to find a better gasser engine in 1/24.

You can use the engine and blower from the '70 Chevelle or the engine from the '66 with a tunnel ram and two fours. Or you could do a combination of both.

I used the '70 Chevelle's engine and transmission with the kit's trans mounts added,the '66 Chevelle's valve covers, the kit's blower setup and a set of scratchbuilt fenderwell headers for mine.

014-14.jpg

Edited by plowboy

Good lord what hate. If ya wanna build a perfect period gasser, ya need to bash a bunch of parts. If ya want a super huge fun project for the weekend, this is it! I got carried away circa 1970, built it out of box, with a bunch of detail. Even kept the red windows. I was rewarded with first place in a King Norman's contest. Still after all the years, this might have been the most fun ever.

I agree....it's all doom and gloom to some people if accuracy isn't perfect (which must be a tough life since life isn't perfect).

I built that kit many years ago and it was a fun kit to build and had that mean gasser look when done. As to being a "fantasy".....uh....yeah....Tom Daniels is a designer of .......uh ....fantasy cars. Actually this is a very tame car for Tom.

All I gotta say to those who want to poo poo all over this kit, unless you have a 1:1 working replica of a car, EVERYTHING else is inaccurate....including all your best model builds.

Get the kit and enjoy it!

I don't know about you guys, but there are some kits that I just like. Can't really say why, but I just like them. The Badman is one such kit for me. Along with many of the other late 60's- to early 80's Monogram offerings. Same thing with Amt. Some kits are rather dispised, like the Modified Stocker Series, but I enjoy those too. They were a bit over the top and outlandish with the huge tires ( dirt cars did not look like that here in the Carolinas back in the 70's) but I love them anyway.

Different strokes for different folks, and everybody be happy with whatever you do in the hobby.