Model Cars Magazine Forum

Double Kit " Model T "

TooOld

I've had a few of these kits and have never built the stock " T " before , so I decided to take a break from my other builds and do a quicky . It took two days , with no extras , no wiring , just paint . I did experiment with some wood deck that I want to do on a future build .

It's a pretty simple model , only 26 pieces not counting the wheels and tires . And since I know absolutely nothing about these cars there are probably things that aren't correct , but I had fun building it ! So if you see something let me know so I can fix it next time .

Thanks for looking .

file-vi.jpg

Edited by TooOld

I love the old T kits and was overwhelmed with excitement when AMT or Round Two brought them back I always like to see a different take on the stock build and for me, on yours it's the way you painted the wood underneath. They are a fun quick build and a timeless kit.

It looks good! As far as any problems, I can tell you for sure that no Model T ever offered white upholstery! And depending on the model year, I think the radiator shell and headlight buckets would have been nickel plated. But a nice model for sure! The wood plank bed floor is a nice touch.

1925 T's were black. front to back, top to bottom, almost every one of them "sprayed" in black lacquer. that said, there WERE special order cars in other colors....

the factory "sprayed" them with a rig that looked almost like a set of water pipes with holes in them, literally pouring lacquer on and letting it run off and be re-cycled through the rig again and again... lacquer dries fast and hard, and takes on a good shine with hand polishing. stripers would run pinstripes just beside the pressed-in body lines, so that washing and waxing wouldn't rub them off.

your T looks like a well-worn, well-loved family standby.....

Really nice looking T. I love these things. Have a stash of the kits and parts. You did a great job. I believe that rear axle on the real thing is not centered to allow suspension travel. I think the kit is right. And, correct me if Im wrong, but the nickel plating started in 26, I think. Its good to see a stock build here. Thanks for sharing...

Very nice! So, how did you line up the wheels properly? My version leaves the rear tires scraping the fenders..................

So did mine . I removed the rear suspension ( with a screwdriver ) and glued it to the rear of the crossmember . If you look you can also see a piece of tubing added to the tranny .

Harry - It's actually a dirty tan color , just looks white in the picture . Still not a factory color .

Steve - With a transverse spring the suspension travel would be vertical , not fore and aft .

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there WAS one guy in the history of Model Ts who personalized his vehicle, maybe to flaunt his purchase to the horse riding dirt people. It looked exactly like this. Great eye appeal Bob and pretty impressive for a two day effort.

1:1 T's actually do have the rear wheels close to the fender; maybe not as close as they seem in 1/25th but they aren't centered in the wheelwell. T's have enormously flexible frames and articulated suspension; they can literally twist about their own axis quite a bit.

1:1 T's actually do have the rear wheels close to the fender; maybe not as close as they seem in 1/25th but they aren't centered in the wheelwell. T's have enormously flexible frames and articulated suspension; they can literally twist about their own axis quite a bit.

You and Steve are absolutely correct ! They weren't centered and did move rearward as the suspension was loaded . I'd like to apologize to Steve for my previous statement and implying that he was wrong .

The problem with this kit is that the rear tires are shoved right up against the fenders and need to be moved back to even appear close to correct .

Great to see a stock Model T. Nice build.

"And since I know absolutely nothing about these cars there are probably things that aren't correct ... So if you see something let me know so I can fix it next time."

In the spirit of your comment, I have to add this: Your wood treatment looks nice (and by the way, good job of executing the 'planked wood' appearance), but early Fords (in fact, most vehicles) did not have cleared natural wood beds or floors.

Model Ts {and Model As} had plank beds, but they were painted black ~ no wood color visible at all.

It's all-too-common to see builders of the older trucks with wood beds succumb to the temptation to crank them out with highly shellacked (or varnished, or urethane-coated) natural wood planks, often with chrome skid strips, but it's just not authentic for factory stock trucks.

Now, having said that, on customized trucks ~ it looks great!!!

Also, the Model T {and again, Model A} had plywood floorboards (cab), not planks.

The floorboard was completely within the cab and from the underside you could see the bottoms of the fenders, bottom of the cab floorboard (painted black) and the rolled bottom edge of the cab's rear sheet metal panel. The bed attached separately to the frame, and the underside of the bed planks (painted black) were visible. There was no flooring or wood between the cab and the bed.

And, as mentioned by others, there was no white or cream upholstery on a stock Model T. Black. That's it.

Wheels would have been black as well for this vintage of Model T, however, many owners "dressed up" their new Model Ts with a can of paint, a brush, and some time spent with the wheels, so your treatment of the wheels is not so far-fetched.

Radiator hoses may have been a dull dark red or black, but the goodies on the firewall were all black, in varying shades or textures of black.

Otherwise, you've built a very credible and good-looking Model T and it's very nice to see!

B)