Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped AMT Deuce 5-window: Progress, July 13

Ace-Garageguy

:D Thanks. No real reason this one got sidetracked, no particular build problems, but looking at the dates of my last posts, it seems it was about the time my personal life went kinda off the rails.

I really like this one, so she'll be moving as soon as I actually finish at least one of the builds on the bench at the moment.

I understand completely on both the issues of which you mentioned!!

Sometimes I feel that if I told everything that I have been though in just

the last year, no one would believe me.  But you do some fine work,

and I get great inspiration from what I see!!    Thanks Bill!!!

David S.

Do you scratch build your spindles? I need to attach wheels to my T touring on 32 rails but the axle doesn't have the attached spindles. The axle is like yours on here. How are you going to attach the wheels to the dropped axle? 

Do you scratch build your spindles? I need to attach wheels to my T touring on 32 rails but the axle doesn't have the attached spindles. The axle is like yours on here. How are you going to attach the wheels to the dropped axle? 

Yes, I scratch the spindles. Here's a tutorial I did for a method that will work with just about any front axle.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/119034-tutorial-steerable-i-beam-and-tubular-front-axles-part-one/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is a great project! I love the wide whites and moon discs. I too am into reworking older parts and kits- salvaging what to others might look like junk. Of course, early hot rodders did get many of their parts from junk yards, so you are carrying on this tradition in a smaller scale!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 12:22 AM, Lunajammer said:

That cigarette's down to the filter Bill. Time to delight us with a few more steps on this. Eh-what, wink wink, nudge nudge? ?

On 5/27/2020 at 9:16 PM, chris chabre said:

it needs those moon caps and whitewalls or the piecrusts and americans..Stance is spot on, chop looks killer...

On 5/31/2020 at 9:06 AM, Paul Payne said:

This is a great project! I love the wide whites and moon discs. I too am into reworking older parts and kits- salvaging what to others might look like junk. Of course, early hot rodders did get many of their parts from junk yards, so you are carrying on this tradition in a smaller scale!

Thanks guys. Funny...this one never got too far from the bench and has been kinda bugging me for a re-start.

I'm not on here as frequently as I once was and failed to see this one had new comments.

It was kinda hung-fire for a while deciding whether to correct the slightly sectioned body the AMT kit has out-of-the-box, or just to go with it as-is.

As-is won, 'cause it looks a lot like what some builders of real ones did back in the dim recesses of time when I was young.

For whatever reason, I enjoy rebuilding junk more than starting with virgin kits (most of the time) too.  :D

On 6/11/2020 at 2:29 PM, chris chabre said:

...at this point, I just like mocking things up to prove out ideas... I wish I had bench time but its been years

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am. I can get 15 or 20 minutes every now and then, but I can't get much done like that.