Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24th-1/25th scale, why is it a big deal

Reading response's in the thread about the Cuda, I am kind of surprised that alot of people feel so strongly about the scales , so my question is , why?

What about the two scales that makes such a big a deal, now I do feel the same way in some points, like for me, I like semi trucks, or trucks in general to be in 1.24th scale, I dont mind cars being in 1/25th scale.

but thats just me, and to quote harry from that thread

So you guys are saying that a difference of slightly less than a third of an inch would stop you from buying the kit if it was 1/24? Really? :blink:

Edited by martinfan5

I have models in all scales, from HO to 1/4 and everything in between. And yeah, I display them all side by side. Differences in scale and model size have never bothered me one bit, I look at each model as an individual. But that's just me. I can see where someone who builds only in one particular scale and displays all the models side by side would want to stick with that scale. But only building in one scale sure limits the range of kits out there that are "acceptable" to you. Me, I buy a kit if I'm interested in the subject, the scale isn't really an issue with me.

Guest G Holding

I kitbash....hard to swap between scales, No If I was going to buy a kit for parts...I most likely would not....Too hard to know if it will fit, when kits were under $10. that was different. Now @ $20. for a kit...NOPE.

I like semi trucks, or trucks in general to be in 1.24th scale, I dont mind cars being in 1/25th scale.

I don't get it either, but since you said it, why does it matter if a trucks 1/24 or 1/25?

I think we put a lot into the quality of the reproduction to start calling out the difference in scales that small.

My self, Im not sure why there are both, I'm sure there is a great answer and someone here knows, but I don't.

i like to think of my builds as a collection. if i did a train layout, i'd want everything to be the same HO scale. by the same reasoning i want all my cars in the same scale. i don't mind the 24/25 difference, but i'm not interested in 1/32 or 1/20 scales that some model cars come in.

it's really hard too, because i build cars based on subject and so many are just not available in 1/25.

To my eye , 1/24 th scale bodies are misshapen , fat , for a better word , as compared to their 1/25 th scale counterparts .

As stated beforehand , kit bashing can become a problem when mixing the two . It's a personal preference , but I'll stick with the 1/25 th scale kits .

I like both scales ...however some 1/24th scale models look so out of scale when placed next to a 1/25th scale and same for the other way around. For me I just prefer the 1/25th scale for the most part. Now some 1/24th scale and 1/25th scale models look very close in scale when together as a side by side comparison of the same basic model. There are many great kits in both scales some not made by the other....when it boils down to it if its a good kit-its a good kit regardless of scale. A kit is only as good as you make it when building but some have their qualities others do not too.

I prefer 1/24 & 1/25th scales, coz of limited space for displaying. I know I could go smaller but I wouldn't be able to hold em coz of my big clumzy monkey hands...or is that sausage fingers...hhmmmm. Plus, I'd have a hard time seeing them!!!!! LOL!!!

I only build 1/25 models. I like my collection to be coherent, and the size difference between 1/24 and 1/25, even if it isn't huge, still offends my eye. A part of me believes I'll actually use these models in dioramas I dream of making, so again, scale matters. I know I'll never build that big diorama, but it's still the dream. What really bothers me is when something is listed as 1:24/1:25 scale...as if there's NO difference. It's either one scale or the other...or not scaled properly at all! You can do this with figures...people vary greatly in size, but not decals!!!

I will not buy 1/24 at all, but that's more for those of you who do!

Edited by Repstock

White body is monogram 1970 Cuda body , which is considered/accepted to be reasonably accurate for the subject matter.

Yellow painted body is an original MPC 1970 Cuda , again considered to be the benchmark dimensions wise

OAL is nearly 3/8" of difference. width is about 3/16" difference .

White body is monogram 1970 Cuda body , which is considered/accepted to be reasonably accurate for the subject matter.

Yellow painted body is an original MPC 1970 Cuda , again considered to be the benchmark dimensions wise

This should be illustration enough.

For the record, I tend to display 1/24 with 1/24 and 1/25 with 1/25. Some of my Jo-Hans go with where they look closest to in-scale....

Charlie Larkin

For me the difference in scale is only important, if as Tom alluded to above, one is considering doing a diorama. If the different scales are displayed together in what is supposed to be a coherent scheme, the differant scales could destroy the illusion one is attempting to create. It wouldn't look good if a Mustang were bigger than the four door sedan police cruiser that had pulled it over. But if it's just for the display shelf well then.... meh.... doesn't matter to me as long as the subject is interesting.

Edited by peter31a

Jonathan, you like NASCAR, right? If you build the 90s NASCAR kits in both AMT and Monogram, they look strange sitting together...especially the same make, model, and year.

I have a 1:24 70s Revelogram camaro that just looks stupid next to my 68 AMT Camaro because it is literally about an inch taller and about 3/4" longer. :blink: I guess it maybe personal preferences but, it bugs the heck out of me on certain cars.

The problem is that kits are ADVERTISED as 1/24 or 1/25, but they don't always measure up...and a kit's dimensions may measure out to 1/24 in one area (say the body shell), and 1/25 (say the engine) in another...or 1/23...or 1/26...ALL within the same kit's box!!!

I buy both scales, you sure limit your subjects by sticking with one or the other... :(

I kitbash....hard to swap between scales, No If I was going to buy a kit for parts...I most likely would not....Too hard to know if it will fit, when kits were under $10. that was different. Now @ $20. for a kit...NOPE.

Yeah, that's it for me in a nutshell. Engine swapping is a huge issue with 1/24 scale. I'm building the Revell '37 Ford and had to trade for engine because nothing I had looked big enough in it. I have several 1/24 in the collection but I plan way in advance for parts.

What kit is that white body from?

I have models in all scales, from HO to 1/4 and everything in between. And yeah, I display them all side by side. Differences in scale and model size have never bothered me one bit, I look at each model as an individual. But that's just me. I can see where someone who builds only in one particular scale and displays all the models side by side would want to stick with that scale. But only building in one scale sure limits the range of kits out there that are "acceptable" to you. Me, I buy a kit if I'm interested in the subject, the scale isn't really an issue with me.

Same here, I tend to look for a subject that interests me and the scale of it is the last concern (usually price ranks higher than scale). I can see a problem if you were making a diorama or making a "scale trail run" (if you're into the rc scale trucks like me), and even then if you stage the different scale models correctly, it won't look too off.........well, so long as there isn't a F-650 bodied rig thats using the chassis as my green and black Cherokee :P

Swapping parts between scales can be problematical, as jantrix points out, and sometimes it can work to advantage. I've found a good source of 16" 1/25 narrow-tread, wide whitewalls and steel wheels to come from 15" 1/24 scale parts.

And sometimes, oddly, I just don't care.....like if there's a 1/24 subject ('40 ford pickup) that I really love and can't get in 1/25. i'll even swap in a wrong-scale engine.

Situational scale-ethics.

What kit is that white body from?

Monogram "Great White 'Cuda" Funny Car, same as the Snake & McEwen cars.

One needs to look at the last 50 years of model kits produced by the "Big Five" to see why 1/25 scale is the preferred automotive scale for American builders in general. Jo-Han, AMT, MPC, and Revell produced the vast majority of their automotive kits in 1/25 scale, with Monogram being the 1/24 scale rebel. Once Monogram was acquired and merged with Revell, they changed to 1/25 scale, and 1/24 scale is all but dead for new American kits.

I grew up building Monogram kits, and still like, build and enjoy them, but there's just something to be said about a standardized 1/25 scale which appeals to me.

I agree BECAUSE, i do 1/24 cause most stuff can be moved, changed, redone, and its to scale, like if i want to put

a big block in a 32 coupe, its to scale, and a lot to pick from,, 1/12 i can get more detail, but harder to find the parts ya want.

Ho, and 1/32 is to small for my old eyes to see anymore..

This should be illustration enough.

I must be slow at this, are those different scales ? Shouldn't a funny car measure out different from a production body ?

I've honestly never gave much thought to the 24/25 interchange. Maybe I should pay more attention to stuff.... Do you guys work in well ventilated areas like the tube says too ???

Edited by moparmagiclives

I must be slow at this, are those different scales ? Shouldn't a funny car measure out different from a production body ?

I've honestly never gave much thought to the 24/25 interchange. Maybe I should pay more attention to stuff.... Do you guys work in well ventilated areas like the tube says too ???

Ditto..

For others. bazinga!! ;):D