Model Cars Magazine Forum

34 Ford Rods ?

Rick Schmidt

I want to try channeling one of the ones I have waiting, but I've actually never done a full channel. One thing I noticed on the white coupe was the grill. I actually drilled holes and put thin steel rods into them for the vertical insert. But I doubt I can ever do that again with my failing eyesight and arthritis. I have so many projects I want to get back to, but our move from Vegas to NorCal has put me so far behind. Cramming a 3500' house with a big 3 car garage into one with about 2800 and a 2 car just isn't working. We already added a big garage with a huge deck above to the other end of the house, but it's still full of shop tools and boxes of "stuff". Somehow I will get back to these magnificent cars and all those decisions of "how" and "what" to do next......like what am I going to do for the next '34 grill???

post-9179-0-24251100-1431302780_thumb.jp

Edited by deja-view

Another thread back from the dead of 2012. Oh what the heck....

DSC00001-vi.jpgDSC00003-vi.jpgpi

A '34 pickup / stake bed that was built by Tom Tremantano from the Liars Club. I bought it from him at a show, I never even noticed the NNL East plate until I got it home.

IMG_3085-vi.jpgIMG_3083-vi.jpg

My '34 Ford sedan. It has a Plymouth flathead six and has been sectioned a few scale inches.

DSC00363-vi.jpg

DSC00366-vi.jpg

I built this one from the snap kit. Wanted to create one of those Sears slide in pickup boxes from that era.

If I was to get a 1:1 street rod today, I'd rather find a nice '34 than a '32... they are just too common!

Here's a '34 Cabriolet I stuck together last Fall. It started life as the awful looking Thom Taylor kit. I used the body, top and frame then bashed or scratched everything else. I'm still quite pleased with it.

IMG_1625-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1618-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1581-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_1582-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Here's a '34 Pickup I did a few years back as an early 60's Altered drag racer. I was going for a vintage box-art vibe. It was inspired by an illustration of the original AMT instructions showing building ideas by George Barris.

IMG_8588-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_8591-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_8597-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_8509-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

• 1 month later...

Great selection so far. The '34 is such a classic design that it makes a tremendous canvas for a wide variety of ,build styles. It's especially impressive what has been done with the lowly Revell Snap Fast kit.This particular build is one of my all-time favorites and I never tire of seeing it:P1010014.jpgThere's also a great Australian ,hot rod and custom modeler named Bryce Michelmore. Bryce doesn't frequent the MCM board but he builds a mean '34. Here are some examples of his work (the first 2 are Revell snap kits) - hopefully he won't mind my presuming to share them with you all:img_2029.jpg343WHiboy04-vi.jpgIMG_7573.jpgIMG_7662.jpg

Love that wine color, and how many noticed the Ford Y block stuffed in there? Excellent job.

P2260032.jpgP2260030-1-2.jpgPB220250.jpgPB080197.jpgPB110207.jpg

That orange coupe is pretty sharp, exceptional quality, only one point, I really think that it would need more than just the center block motor mounts, the transmission mount didn't get bolted in, because I know you made a nice tubular mount, possibly even chromed it that is why it is still in the shop.

And coil overs and the old Ford buggy spring? Might be a tad hard on the back on a very long ride.

Edited by horsepower