Model Cars Magazine Forum

i was bored so i made a flakebuster

i made one a long time ago with the exact same materials just a different airbrush this time. i did test it and it worked but by then i found out they sold metalflake nailpolish and i switched to that and lost the first flakebuster

7RLt0.jpg

xtfcP.jpg

khK4K.jpg

0RFY3.jpg

pearl powder at about 10psi ill get metalflake tomorrow to test it.

ZGPoq.jpg

all i think it that it is, is a homemade flake gun. instead of using a normal airbrush and spraying flake through it and risk clogging it this is a dedicated flake gun. i like it, pretty smart to make it, could only imagine what a store bought one like that would run.

If that's the way the person in the video wants to do that it's fine with me.Personally,I'd use a gravity feed small gun with a tip sized for the flake used and shoot clear & flake together. I don't know if that would work well on a small model car though. That looks like some big flake!

Guest G Holding

I will stick to PearlEx and Clear shot thru my 155 anthem, I really don't see a need for that much flake on a scale model..it might work on a 1:1 AWB gasser but thats MHO

i agree with the above, im not real big on metal flake to start. really only care for it on gassers and low riders. still this looks like it would be cool to have to experiment with. i wonder how well pearl dust would cover. could also see using it for weathering large sections and things like that. looks like i just gave myself a second homemade tool to make when i get home from camping.

Very nice, you got EYEGORE salivatin'. Great experimentation on your part. The problem I have with these large flakes is that they look out of scale and you are going to need very thick clear to make them lay down and feel smooth. I like the idea for doing some accent/graphic work though. I think this would look great on larger scale models. Would be a killer on a 1/8th hot rod, for example.

I think I see how you are setting it up, how about posting a picture of the completed Flakebuster as you are now using it. Please!

its mated to a modified airbrush just for this purpose

I'm totally loving this thing. I think, I too, am going to make one based off of yours. Thanks again for sharing this with us.

Does the size of the tubing make any difference?

no but for the inlet i suggest you keep it small

Very nice, you got EYEGORE salivatin'. Great experimentation on your part. The problem I have with these large flakes is that they look out of scale and you are going to need very thick clear to make them lay down and feel smooth. I like the idea for doing some accent/graphic work though. I think this would look great on larger scale models. Would be a killer on a 1/8th hot rod, for example.

thanks, whats a good flake size for 1/24