Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DBR9 and Jaguar XKR GT3 - Airfix 1/32

Matt Bacon

Hi, all... forgive the odd posting, but these two began life as a "Blitzbau" -- see if you can finish a model in 24 hours -- over at the Unofficial Airfix Modeller's Forum. I didn't quite make it, but that's why you're getting the build and the finished models in one thread...

This is the starting point:

jagbits-L.jpg

dbr9bits-L.jpg

Two very full boxes of plastic, The detail is very impressive, and the engraving is very fine. I don't think these started life as Scalextric cars (i.e. I don't think these are just the sprue trees that they make the Scalextric versions from) but I think they definitely share a common CAD heritage)

roll-cages-L.jpg

An hour in, and the roll cages are assembled using the cabin as a jig. The bodies are in the paint booth behind me…

8pm-update-L.jpg

Three hours in and the bodies and chassis are painted in base coats, the roll cages are drying, and the cabins are starting to be painted (lots of Humbrol rattle cans in action here). DBR9 is in Zero Paints Gulf Blue.

10pm-bench-L.jpg

End of the evening, and the bodies are ready for clear coating. The XKR is Zero Paints Palladium Silver, intended for a Merc SLR. It's a bit lighter than Airfix's recommended Gunmetal, but I wanted it to match the grey "slashes" on the decals, which are meant to be the same colour on the real thing.

shiny-10am-21st-L.jpg

Next morning, and the clear coat has been setting overnight. Off to the airing cupboard to bak more while I get on with the insides…

jag-cockpit-done-L.jpg

aston-cockpit-done-2-L.jpg

Two cabins completed. There are not many parts, but the ones that there are respond very well to detail painting.

730-bench-L.jpg

Two hours to go, so I'm not going to get the decalling done, and this is where it started to go pear-shaped. I had no end of trouble with the fit of the body shells to the chassis…

rebuilt-1-L.jpg

…and this is where I called it. A failed Blitz. The problem was that right back at the beginning, I'd attached the wheel arches incorrectly. They fit OUTBOARD of the the location tabs on the chassis plate, not INSIDE, so they were too close together. They'd have to come off, and was too disheartened and rushed to try it that night…

The story continues…

bestest,

M.

Thanks, DC...

two-fer1-L.jpg

So, I gave up for the Blitz, cut off the wheel arches and reinstated them in the right place. With that, the body shells fitted really well…

twofer2-L.jpg

Decalling took a while, but was mostly OK -- the small sponsors logos on the Jag are one decal, for example. The biggest problem is the orange Gulf bonnet stripe and intake surround on the DBR9. It's the wrong size, and trying to get it around the bonnet cut-outs, with the Aston badge on the raised moulding, and the intake surround in the right place is impossible in one piece. I cut it in several places, and still ended up having to touch in the orange here and there…

dbr-9-high-front-left-L.jpg

DBr9-high-front-right-L.jpg

dbr9-low-rear-left-L.jpg

dbr9-profile-L.jpg

xkr-profile-L.jpg

xkr-high-front-right-L.jpg

xkr-low-front-L.jpg

xkr-high-front-left-L.jpg

bestest,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Those are beautifully done!

But for myself, I have never seen the point of these "build a model within a certain amount of time" things. :blink: To me, that goes against the whole idea of what a "hobby" is supposed to be. Just my opinion... take it for what it's worth! :lol:

Great job on them! Especially when they are built in that little time. Especially I like the paint jobs on them, but they're overall very nice too.

Harry's point is good too, but sometimes it's fun to build something different, and fast. Especially after one long project, it's nice feeling to build something in two or three days or so.

Thanks guys!

@harry -- YMMV, obviously! The "Blitzbau" is a bit of a signature thing over at UAMF, and mostly, people think it's a way to get their modelling mojo restarted, or take a break from lengthy builds and recapture the "good old days" when you'd buy a model at the store on Saturday morning with your pocket money, and have it built and zooming around the room in a dogfight with Biggles at the controls by the end of the afternoon...

You might be surprised by what people can bang out in 24 hours...

http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=217&t=4438

bestest,

M.

Thanks guys!

@harry -- YMMV, obviously! The "Blitzbau" is a bit of a signature thing over at UAMF, and mostly, people think it's a way to get their modelling mojo restarted, or take a break from lengthy builds and recapture the "good old days" when you'd buy a model at the store on Saturday morning with your pocket money, and have it built and zooming around the room in a dogfight with Biggles at the controls by the end of the afternoon...

You might be surprised by what people can bang out in 24 hours...

To each his own. Personally I have no desire to bang anything out within 24 hours.

But like I said... that's just me.

2 lovely builds here Matt, I too have these kits in my stash waiting patiently for the day I will start them. Just one question if you don't mind me asking, where exactly do you get zero paints from? I must admit, I have never heard of them but it would be a good idea to get some in stock and keep on the shelf for when the time comes. Thanks Matt and once again, great models.

Thanks, guys...

@volvoman....

www.hiroboy.com

...you won't go wrong. Steve is the nicest guy, so if there's something listed that you don't understand, or something you want (mostly paintwise) that's not on the site, phone him and ask...

bestest,

M.

Cheers Matt, will look at the site and see what I can find.

• 1 month later...